DVDVR Message Board

Your 2021 Internet Match Thread

Noah Mark

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

I love that they acknowledge different promotions styles. I wonder if Yoshiko and Nanae are gonna make fun of Stardoms lack of NOAH-level stiffness and midnight-choker contingent, being the invading nuevo LLPW invading force from SEAdLINNNG.  I would rank them as so, from lightest to stiffest:

Tokyo Joshi Pro

Pro Wrestling WAVE

Pure J

ActWres girl'Z

Ice Ribbon

World Wonder Ring Stardom

Marvelous

Sendai Girls

SEAdLINNNG

Also can't forget OZ Academy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Taiga said:

Also can't forget OZ Academy.

The only Oz Academy I've seen in the last year is Mayumi Ozaki vs Saori Anou and I didn't know that Saori Anou was a super worker until I later saw her match against Suzu Suzuki in Ice Ribbon. So I wouldn't be able to gage the overall Oz Academy stiffness level.  I would ASSUME it would be in the Marvelous/Sendai Girls area.

This is a good little match. It's Ikuto Hidaka in Ganbare Pro Wrestling.

==========================

GLEAT gets weirder.  This has Minoru Tanaka and Tatsuhito Takaiwa in this tag match.  Minoru Tanaka will wrestle anybody anywhere.

======================

Its Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling!  Middlin of the card!

• Like 2

NOAH

Kaito Kiyomiya & Yoshiki Inamura vs. Naomichi Marufuji & Jun Akiyama

GHC jr match Seiki Yoshioka vs. Daisuke Harada (c)

GHC National Title: Kenoh (c) vs. Masakatsu Funaki

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, D.Z said:

NOAH

GHC jr match Seiki Yoshioka vs. Daisuke Harada (c)

Spoiler

Oh man, I hope nobody misunderstands how to take Yoshioka's finisher.  YIKES!  Either way, NEW CHAMPION!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nofuture said:

The joshi forbidden door has been opened.  Stardom's Momo Wantanabe and Saya Iida vs Seadlinnng's Arisa Nakajima and Nanae Takahashi

Jesus Christ!  8:25 is the pinnacle of Professional Wrestling.

EDIT: Man.  What a great match.  Stiff and filled with HATE,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nofuture said:

The joshi forbidden door has been opened.  Stardom's Momo Wantanabe and Saya Iida vs Seadlinnng's Arisa Nakajima and Nanae Takahashi

I am going to watch this thing tomorrow based on DEAN's excitement and my need to watch something, anything from this year. Give me some context. I know nothing about any of this.

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I am going to watch this thing tomorrow based on DEAN's excitement and my need to watch something, anything from this year. Give me some context. I know nothing about any of this.

Nanae and Yoshiko who were driven out of Stardom in shame and controversy a few years ago, showed up at Stardom and they are INVADING!   SO they bring their NOAH-level stiffness to the middling stiff Stardom ring,  so Stardom responds by trying to match the STIFF!  STIFF!

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that was really good. As soon as I saw it was interpromotional I had to watch it. A little tough to figure out who was who at first (haven't watched new Joshi in... well, at all) but I got it down. Iida is really good for a greenhorn, she's built like a brick shithouse, stiff, great selling and facials. Something this match gets across really well is that you can no-sell and Fighting Spirit up if you want but it doesn't work unless there's some serious emotion behind it and the best way to pull that off, to quote Dean, is HATE. Nanae and Momo pasting each other and then just smirking through the pain because of their utter hate for each other works. 

I have to ask what the "shame and controversy" thing is though because I'm not up with modern Joshi drama at all. 

Oh yeah, one more thing: That was the loudest Japanese crowd I've heard all pandemic. I know there were seconds at ringside yelling but you could hear guys in the crowd yelling towards the end too, even though that's a no-no. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I liked this too. The Seadlinnnng pair came out like the Glamour Girls doing Hello Dolly with the boas and it was pretty great. Iida's enthusiasm really stood out. Good struggle throughout, especially whenever anyone had to leave their feet. There were a couple of cute tandem moves and at least one banana peel comedy spot but they felt believable enough. The match really turned on when Iida tried the endless forearms and just got crushed for her trouble. Great beatdown after that. There was one headbutt in there that was just devastating. One thing I really liked about this was that it didn't break down to everyone in the ring until the last minute or two. My biggest criticism of 2010s WWE tags is that half the match is a finishing stretch with all the rules out the window and everyone just running in and out of the ring. There were long stretches where it was obvious one of the Stardom pair was just recovering and it meant the numbers were against them. There were one or two moments of recovery I didn't love (like after the first over the shoulder pile driver thing) yet also a couple of spots involving a quick reversal that were just great (like the nearfall off the double knee after a later over the shoulder pile driver thing). Finish needed a bit more oomph. I don't know if someone was blown up or what. It's 2021 so there were moments that they did something four times more complex than they needed to when something more simple would have been way more effective but overall I thought this was quite good.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

IWA Puerto Rico returned with it's first "match" since the pandemic started with Mr. Big vs Noel Rodriguez. I put match in quotes because there is no ref and it's just a brawl that goes all through a Puerto Rican junkyard. Lots of bumps into tires and cars. Sadly no blood but a legit Junkyard Dog gets involved.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have to ask what the "shame and controversy" thing is though because I'm not up with modern Joshi drama at all. 

Ever hear of the Act/Yoshiko incident? It was a match in February 2015 for Stardom's highest belt, the World of Stardom. Yoshiko was champ and for whatever reason decided to turn a strike exchange into an assault on Act Yasukawa. Act was forced to retire due to the damage done to her eye. Act suffered from Graves' Disease, and Yoshiko specifically targeted the eye she knew it affected. Alpha Female revealed Nanae & Yoshiko had been bullying part of the roster with the senpai/kohai relationship for years, and it was pissing them off to the point where this was likely the final straw. They were seemingly told their crap wouldn't stand anymore. Nanae left likely pissed off about that and the pay cut she took for failed leadership (Rossy Ogawa & Fuka Kakimoto took the same pay cut). Yoshiko was suspended indefinitely but retired/quit in the Summer, likely so she could join up with Nanae later. Nanae went on to start Seadlinnng in late 2015 with Yoshiko joining in early 2016.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Ever hear of the Act/Yoshiko incident?

Thanks. I heard about it at the time and was thinking that was probably the deal we were talking about, but I didn't remember any of the details, aside from someone's eye getting hurt. 

Now I feel bad for watching Nanae beat on a junior wrestler. It's a shame they weren't completely blacklisted. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now I feel bad for watching Nanae beat on a junior wrestler. It's a shame they weren't completely blacklisted. 

A lot of that is water under the bridge, so much so that Yoshiko recently showed up in Stardom for the first time in the incident to set up a match with Mayu Iwatani at their big upcoming Budokan show which is what led to the match.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Thanks. I heard about it at the time and was thinking that was probably the deal we were talking about, but I didn't remember any of the details, aside from someone's eye getting hurt. 

Its Japan. I don't think you usually see people get shit for shooting incidents. Nanae has plenty of friends in the scene. Stardom was also kind of closed off so many probably didn't know the situation and may not have cared anyways because of how seniority works there. Japan also moves on pretty fast in general. Pissed off fans from only a few months earlier over the incident were disappointed when Yoshiko initially "retired." Ogawa likely never wanted either gone and had Kairi & Hiroyo trying to talk Yoshiko out of leaving during her ceremony. Its been 6 years now so most everyone has likely moved on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Control said:

Akiyama vs Endo

This match is awesome.  So many Akiyama piledrivers.

Spoiler

So with Akiyama winning the DDT title and Muto winning the NOAH title,  I guess Akira Taue is gonna win the IWGP title next week?

• Like 2