DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Vgmastr said:

One of the big problems of the 95 Rumble is that all the star power were in other matches, Diesel, Bret, Undertaker, Razor, Bigelow.  It left the Royal Rumble guys like Mantaur, Well Dunn, Aldo Montoya and Kwang.  The only other guys in the match besides Shawn and Bulldog that were near the top of the card were Luger, Backlund and Owen, and Backlund and Owen were only in the match for a few seconds each.

I get the argument, but that sort of turns it into the Michaels show on a night where he has a ton to prove AND he's going over, so he was triple inspired. Plus, the shorter run time actually helps the thing given the lack of star power.

Just watching the 92 Rumble and it prompted a random thought (I don’t remember this ever being covered in one of those by the numbers videos). What’s the longest timeframe covered by Rumble appearances (not most appearances or biggest gap between appearances, just longest time between first and last appearances)? After some quick checks I’m thinking it’s Taker with 26 years (91-17) and possibly Jarrett in no.2 with 25 (94-19 - I would have completely forgotten him if I hadn’t looked up the 19 match).

Am I missing anyone? 

1993 on the other hand does not.

There's maybe 6 guys in the match who are still regularly on TV by the end of the year.

Flair goes back to WCW a few weeks later.

Backlund gets the longevity record for no real reason at all. He does a few high profile jobs to Shawn and Razor and then a total non factor till he turns on Bret about 18 months later.

Papa Shango is off TV by May and finished on house shows by November

Dibiase's last match is Summerslam.

Nasty Boys, Repo Man and Typhoon leave for WCW not long after.

Virgil and Koko B Ware turn up as a JTTS on Raw occasionally till mid 94. Owen Hart is sort of in this position too till Survivor Series. 

Lawler is back and forth with Memphis until his rape charges and then gone till Mania next year.

Max Moon and Damien Demento characters disappear shortly after this.

One shot for Tenryu and Colon. 

Perfect has a recurrence of his back injury late in the year. Theres also a teased feud with Lawler that goes nowhere.

Skinner, Terry Taylor, Tito Santana and Berzerker gone not long after. 

Earthquake has that weird on again off again feud with Yokozuna over 2 years that goes nowhere and for some reason, Earthquake wins the feud.

Savage is on commentary most of the year.

Just leaves the Headshrinkers, Undertaker, IRS, Tatanka, Martel, and Yokozuna.

All things considered, they could have done so much more building up Yokozuna here as an unstoppable monster given so many of these guys were of little consequence to the company.

11 minutes ago, Kev said:

Just watching the 92 Rumble and it prompted a random thought (I don’t remember this ever being covered in one of those by the numbers videos). What’s the longest timeframe covered by Rumble appearances (not most appearances or biggest gap between appearances, just longest time between first and last appearances)? After some quick checks I’m thinking it’s Taker with 26 years (91-17) and possibly Jarrett in no.2 with 25 (94-19 - I would have completely forgotten him if I hadn’t looked up the 19 match).

Am I missing anyone? 

Duggan would be third I assume - 1988 to 2012

22 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Very random thought: Making Davey Boy put over HBK for the Euro title in England after he dedicated the match to his dying sister is just about the most low key sick and fucked up things the company has ever done.

Shawn lobbied for that, anybody else would've refused to go over  him that night even if asked. Shawn claimed he wanted more heat going into the Survivor Series. It's crazy from an angle standpoint too because he knew he was going over Bret and none of the Hart members got their heat back. He could've atleast dropped it to Owen after who he worked in December when he returned instead of giving it HHH the way he did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Duggan would be third I assume - 1988 to 2012

Sounds right, I didn’t realise he’d appeared as late as that, assumed his last appearance was when he had that short roster run around 07ish. 
My initial thought was HBK but he’s only at 21 years (89-10).

And after a little more digging (flicking through Rumble wiki entries), Goldust  is also up there with 21 (97-18) and was even close to topping it as he was on the 91 card teaming with Dusty but not the match itself.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I also always enjoyed the 89 and 90 rumbles as well. DiBiase's storyline for the '90 Rumble was having to be # 1 as punishment for buying #30 in '89.

Yeah, that was great.

As great as 92 is, 90 is and will always be my favorite. The match and the fact its got my second favorite commentary team in Tony and Jesse makes it better, not to mention the roster. Everybody is somebody.

• Like 1

It's amazing realizing how thin the roster really was in that 95-97 window and they have to go outside to fill the thirty man Rumble. Now they could, pretty easily, fill the 50 man GRR things with guys still left out.

So, Football365 (UK based football/soccer site) have written a piece imagining all 20 current Premier League managers taking part in a Royal Rumble, including a wonderful Mikel Arteta/Scott Steiner math promo. For those with an interest in both footy/graps ye may enjoy. 

https://www.football365.com/news/2021-premier-league-manager-royal-rumble-mourinho-guardiola

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

Very random thought: Making Davey Boy put over HBK for the Euro title in England after he dedicated the match to his dying sister is just about the most low key sick and fucked up things the company has ever done.

Still pisses me off to this very day. Fuck Vince McMahon and Shawn Michaels for that.

• Like 5

EtA8AjIXYAIVP3d?format=jpg&name=large

Santino Marrela should've won the 2011 Royal Rumble. It would get over that even the underdog can have his day. You could have Santino lose the opportunity at Elimination Chamber but forever have him as a Royal Rumble match winner. Also the story going from the quickest elimination in the history of the Men's Royal Rumble at 2009 and going on to win it two years later.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Santino Marrela should've won the 2011 Royal Rumble. It would get over that even the underdog can have his day. You could have Santino lose the opportunity at Elimination Chamber but forever have him as a Royal Rumble match winner. Also the story going from the quickest elimination in the history of the Men's Royal Rumble at 2009 and going on to win it two years later.

And then going full circle by entering the Women's Rumble in 2020, so everyone hates him again now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

I know Anthony and we talked a few times about the Rumble and Elimination Chamber near misses, Santino could've had a great "serious" run if the company had the balls to pull the trigger.

• Like 2

I remember seeing somewhere years ago what the match ups would be if the runner up for the rumble and the title match at the rumble were flipped. I think it had Big Show vs Jeff Hardy back to back or something weird. The road not taken. 

On 1/30/2021 at 2:36 PM, Kev said:

Am I missing anyone? 

Charles Wright was in the 93 Rumble as Papa Shango and in the 2013 Rumble as Goodfather so he at 20 years. Mark Henry is in the 98 Rumble and the 2017 Rumble. Diesel is in 1994 and 2014. Gold Dust is in 1997 and 2018