DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

25 minutes ago, D.Z said:

WWE may only do live crowd shows for PPVS only,  keep the Thunderdome for Raw and SD.

If you mean in the in-between time, from say Mania until fall-ish when things are *supposed* to open back up for real, sure. I could see that. But ain't no fucking way if things are completely opened up they stick with a virtual crowd. They've done an admirable job trying to roll with the punches. But the art form of wrestling just doesn't work the same without the live audience. I couldn't tell which one you meant from your post. Honestly until things are fully opened back up, Mania and Summerslam are the only events I expect them to try and use a live audience for.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:36 AM, Wyld Samurai said:

Didn't WALTER only sign with the WWE under the condition he wouldn't be moved to the main roster?

I forgot about that,  wasn't that mainly because of his unwillingness to travel much and limit his schedule. When they put NXT UK on hiatus and they been having all the shows in one area, Its surprising they didn't try to use him on RAW.  Outside of his match with Dragonov I havent seen any NXTUK since the last UKTakeover. I remember being excited about the next one in April that never happened. He's one of the best talents they have overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

But the art form of wrestling just doesn't work the same without the live audience. 

True, but they're making movies, pal. They're not a wrestling promotion anymore. Now that they're just a content farm for NBCUniversal and Fox, there's really nothing keeping them from trying to figure out a way to do a permanent Thunderdome situation year-round. They don't need to be on the road each week anymore. They simply don't need to sell tickets to survive. They could save a shitload of money by filming from a fixed location each week, either by building their own studio/arena setup, or figuring out ways of doing a few residencies in different places. 

• Like 1

You're suggesting that Vince McMahon is finally going to realise the value of owning your own venues? Only 70 years after CMLL did?

Could they do all their TV from one location and go bare bones to tour and clear enough to make it well worth it? I feel like most of the expense is on the talent anyway and people will be jonesing for live entertainment for a few years after things open up at least.

To me wrestling and baseball are different experiences live, it changes how you follow the action. Most other sports, to me, are more exciting and easier to follow on tv/streaming. I'll never forget the first time someone was launched into the barricades in front of me. I'll never forget the echo of the first chop I heard. Chanting along with a crowd as everyone gets into it. I haven't watched WWE since Summerslam last year so I really have no skin in the game in regards to them. The NJPW clap only shows scratched a itch at first and it's always cool when the crowds there temporarily break the no talking rule because something awesome happened. Still, it's not the same.

A reduced touring schedule would be beneficial though, for the wrestlers and the fans. Reduce overexposure, less wear and tear. The house shows were not making money so it's not as if they are losing money by cutting back. Plus it's clear that going forward they want more content and house shows will fall by the wayside in favor of recording shows for streaming. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Let's take this thought process to its logical conclusion and imagine them firing the roster

Nah, that's only if the pandemic gets worse and they still post record high profits!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

True, but they're making movies, pal. They're not a wrestling promotion anymore. Now that they're just a content farm for NBCUniversal and Fox, there's really nothing keeping them from trying to figure out a way to do a permanent Thunderdome situation year-round. They don't need to be on the road each week anymore. They simply don't need to sell tickets to survive. They could save a shitload of money by filming from a fixed location each week, either by building their own studio/arena setup, or figuring out ways of doing a few residencies in different places. 

Is the Tropicana still open?

I kid but, as an entertainment product whose best days are behind it but can still make cash treading water for people who just want something familiar and safe, WWE moving to Vegas would be so fitting.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Is the Tropicana still open?

I kid but, as an entertainment product whose best days are behind it but can still make cash treading water for people who just want something familiar and safe, WWE moving to Vegas would be so fitting.

Well, they could at least send Vince there to do his "Greatest Hits" varietee show each night until he croaks. Now, I'm not sure if I mean "Mr MacMahon One Man Show" with changing extras or Vince produced show where every match is Randy Orton vs Sheamus, but either way that seems like a way to keep him busy and away from the shows that could still be good without his meddling.

• Like 4

What are you guys going on about lol....

WWE is not going to scrap touring / live audiences. They know how much harder their shows are to enjoy in an empty building. Wrestling needs a live crowd to feed off of. So zero percent chance they go all thunderdome all the time. Setting up shop in one location is also a no go. You remember how Impact Zone TNA guys used to get over by drinking with the same 300 people who came every week? Can you imagine Vince finding out the crowd is going ape shit for like Gulak every week because he drinks with the fans, and it starts hijacking the show? Not to mention if they stay in one place they are drawing from a pool of the same 5,000-6,000 people every week which will dwindle and not spend money on merch over time.

When things open up they are going balls to the wall touring again. House shows will be gone. But Raw / SD / PPVs will be all over the country / world. There's money to be made from entertainment starved audiences. The optics of crowds being so hyped because it's been 3 years since they've been to a live event are a can't miss prospect. Everyone is right they are a content company now. But that doesn't mean they're going full studio / cgi / tape a year in advance. It's still a touring live event and it always will be.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I can't stop imagining Vince's reaction to WWE's Indian special.  "WHERE THE FUCK IS STRONGBOW?"

Cue Pat Patterson saying "There goes Stronbow" on his introduction of Gerry Brisco before Austin vs Dude Love w/ Vince as ref

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Eivion said:

This was announced last year. Was it not official then?

Yes and no - she was signed to be a part of NXT Japan but that got shelved due to the pandemic.

This is what Dave wrote in the Nov 2, 2020 WON

Meiko Satomura, 40, is looking like she is going to relocate to London. Satomura, who many consider the best woman wrestler in the world (for years the two names discussed the most as greatest were Satomura and Io Shirai), was signed by WWE with the idea of being the head trainer and top female star for NXT Japan. But with the pandemic, the company has nixed for now the idea of starting new NXT outposts. Satomura was the top star and founder of Sendai Girls, and said she would be cutting back on her schedule. I’m surprised they are sending her to the European outpost and not NXT, or the main roster. But it could be a quota system in play with the idea the main roster has Asuka and NXT has Shirai, and age works against Satomura which is why she was signed primarily as a coach and not as top pushed talent. Satomura can be valuable in helping bring up new European women stars for the future. She was probably the standout performer in a previous Mae Young Classic

• Like 1