DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Yeah but those people have been boned for a year and a half anyway. Anyone who gets excited for seven episodes of already easily available Prime Time has Stockholm Syndrome.

FWIW, I dropped the Network when I started to feel that getting more "classic" footage was never going to be a big priority for them.  It's not what drives subscriptions, apparently.  Can't imagine that's going to change with the Peacock deal.  Would guess older content will be less of a priority to everyone involved.

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I have re-read this like a half a dozen times and it sure seems like the folks who use the Network for classic TV stuff (ie: Superstars) are boned.

I guess I'm going to have to hurry through watching the '93 shows and see how far I get with ECW.  I'm going through my friend's login but I don't know if he'll care to keep it once the change happens.  The only reason to maybe consider Peacock is for the variety aside from WWE but I have a feeling the organization on the interface is going to be a mess.

I know not to ask about comps or sets here but at this point if anybody wants to PM me information on how to get things at a decent price I'd be interested to find out.

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I guess I'm going to have to hurry through watching the '93 shows and see how far I get with ECW.  I'm going through my friend's login but I don't know if he'll care to keep it once the change happens.  The only reason to maybe consider Peacock is for the variety aside from WWE but I have a feeling the organization on the interface is going to be a mess.

I know not to ask about comps or sets here but at this point if anybody wants to PM me information on how to get things at a decent price I'd be interested to find out.

I honestly don't find the UI of Peacock to be that bad, but I've only ever used it within Xfinity. I haven't went to the Smartcast section to access the app or on my PS5.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This sounds like a disaster for wrestling fans who are interested in archived content.  I can already see shit disappearing for "reasons" and them just not bothering to upload anything because NBC doesn't have the appetite for it. 

I doubt NBC is paying a billion for a limited amount of content.  I'd imagine in their eyes, the more content the better.

We're dooming, but WWE's press release says:

Peacock will launch WWE Network on March 18, beginning the roll-out of more than 17,000 hours of new, original, and library WWE Network programming on demand and on a 24/7 channel, including:

WWE Network archives, including every WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-view event in history;

It looks like the Archives are coming over too.  

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the surface, isn't paying $9.99 for the Network (with its archives) and commercial free Peacock a great value? 

Correct - basically if you were already paying for the Network for the same price you will continue to get the Network PLUS adding the ad-free Peacock experience.

Now as I have already cynically started to point out - it depends on exactly what you use the Network for (and if there would be anything on Peacock you would watch)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, if it's the Network, plus Peacock, it's insane to be mad about it.

Aww... it's like you forgot all the people who raged at that Disney+ package because "I DON'T CARE ABOUT SPORTS!!!!"

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Aww... it's like you forgot all the people who raged at that Disney+ package because "I DON'T CARE ABOUT SPORTS!!!!"

I always forget the people that rage about shit that makes no sense to be mad about.

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

1.2 million subscribers at $9.99 a month is around $144 million a year, so they're getting at little over $50 million a year.

It will be even more:

• of that $144 million a sizable amount had go their current streaming service provider
  • they will save money in accounting or whatever (probably much less relevant then the point above)
  • they will mostly freeze and investments on their back- and frontend (i.e. we international users are getting fucked twofold, we will pay more to get a worse product)
Edited by Robert s

I've been busy with work today, but is this the gist of the deal?

• Separate WWE Network app is dead.
  • All WWE Network content is being moved over to Peacock and it will be active in March.
  • For the same price as what the Network cost you now get that and all of Peacock's content without ads.

If that's the case then that doesn't sound bad. I stopped subscribing to the Network awhile ago, If I were still a subscriber then I think my main concern would be that the WWE Network stuff works better than the platform they moved to.

@Craig HYeah, pretty much. There's some debate over if all of the content on the Network is getting moved over, but like someone else said - I doubt they're paying $1b for limited content.

Also, this might mean either something, or just an error in phrasing, but...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You would think the stock would go up but since the stock market is bullshit who the fuck knows

I mean the stock is down 2% today alone

Maybe the market is concerned this is a precursor to Vince selling?

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I've been busy with work today, but is this the gist of the deal?

• Separate WWE Network app is dead.
  • All WWE Network content is being moved over to Peacock and it will be active in March.
  • For the same price as what the Network cost you now get that and all of Peacock's content without ads.

If that's the case then that doesn't sound bad. I stopped subscribing to the Network awhile ago, If I were still a subscriber then I think my main concern would be that the WWE Network stuff works better than the platform they moved to.

To answer - Yes (if you live in the US), Yes (in theory), Yes

Now the last part - we are all assuming they will starting using whoever Peacock is using which means not Endeavour which by default should mean the platform would get better. Again - YMMV depending on your thoughts of the Peacock app and what device you are using it on