DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

26 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

Proud to say in the seven years the WWE Network ran, I was never a subscriber because I swore I’d never give WWE a dime again. Now it’s officially failed and has been absorbed into Peacock... a service I have because of my Xfinity subscription... and now my cable bill will help pay WWE.

You realize your cable bill has been helping to pay the WWE for a long time right?

Comcast aka Xfinity owns USA Network who in turn is paying the WWE TV rights $$$

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Apparently it's 1 billion over 5 years. Does anyone know how that compares to the mnoey they were getting off the network?

1.2 million subscribers at $9.99 a month is around $144 million a year, so they're getting at little over $50 million a year.

• Like 2

Question: is the current WWE Network app streaming source company the same one that works with Peacock? That might make it more attractive for Vince to make this deal, and letting NBC/Comcast deal with the streaming overhead is icing on the cake/$$$ for the investors.

2 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Question: is the current WWE Network app streaming source company the same one that works with Peacock? That might make it more attractive for Vince to make this deal, and letting NBC/Comcast deal with the streaming overhead is icing on the cake/$$$ for the investors.

I may be misremembering, but I know at one point they were partnered with whoever runs MLB.tv and then they left, so it's at least possible.

It is going to be really interesting to see what happens if FOX every tries to get their own streaming service going.

I mean part of me has to feel like they are not thrilled that they are now running a show that is helping to drive people to a competitor's service

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is going to be really interesting to see what happens if FOX every tries to get their own streaming service going.

I mean part of me has to feel like they are not thrilled that they are now running a show that is helping to drive people to a competitor's service

Fox sold off most of their content to Disney though. 

Doesn’t Disney own enough of the FOX properties like The Simpsons that it wouldn’t be all that feasible for FOX to try it? Furthermore, it feels like they’re more interesting in still keeping Fox News active and relevant with ONN in the fold. 

edit: Matt D beat it to it in a more concise manner.

Edited by cubbymark

Just now, Matt D said:

Fox sold off most of their content to Disney though. 

They could still try to enhance one for their sports content - which is part of the reason NBC is doing all the reorg to move stuff to Peacock.

17 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I may be misremembering, but I know at one point they were partnered with whoever runs MLB.tv and then they left, so it's at least possible.

Nope, you're right. The original version was powered by Bam Tech, and when Disney bought Bam the contract wasn't renewed. The current version is from Endeavor Streaming. I do have to say, the previous version was much more stable than the Endeavor one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Boydy said:

Do you think the WWE Network rights in the UK market will be sold to another provider ?

Also is Peacock Premium available in the UK ?

The article says this only affects the US streaming; everything else is untouched.

1 minute ago, Super Ape said:

The article says this only affects the US streaming; everything else is untouched.

Yeah I mean in the future. I understand the other countries markets are fine but do people think they will sell the rights in the UK?

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Here's some details

Reveal hidden contents

I have re-read this like a half a dozen times and it sure seems like the folks who use the Network for classic TV stuff (ie: Superstars) are boned.

Just now, RIPPA said:

I have re-read this like a half a dozen times and it sure seems like the folks who use the Network for classic TV stuff (ie: Superstars) are boned.

I assumed that stuff was covered under the "WWE Network archives"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah but those people have been boned for a year and a half anyway. Anyone who gets excited for seven episodes of already easily available Prime Time has Stockholm Syndrome.

Edited by Matt D

12 minutes ago, Boydy said:

Yeah I mean in the future. I understand the other countries markets are fine but do people think they will sell the rights in the UK?

It could move to Sky Go or whatever their streaming service is called eventually. Comcast owns them as well.

Just now, Casey said:

It could move to Sky Go or whatever their streaming service is called eventually. Comcast owns them as well.

Oh ok that aint too bad then. I was worried it might go to BT Sports as I aint got a subscription with them.