DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

One thing I would like to point out is - while saving money on travel, most wrestlers are now taking an absolute bath on lost merch sales, so the total savings might not be as great as one believes.

I guess that would depend on sales made at shows vs online. Presumably that tilts towards the former, but imagine the latter increased during lockdown (but by how much would be the issue)

I’ve started to wonder when the first round of AEW contracts and next ‘big’ WWE talent contracts will be due to expire.

Its a shame for the wrestlers, as pre-Covid their bargaining power would have been off the scale for the first time in years, but now the big companies rosters are over-stacked and the indies & overseas tours are pretty much on hiatus.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I’m assuming most people just re-up where they are, if possible, so they have a guaranteed paycheck. That would seem the sensible option.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 9:16 PM, Technico Support said:

Reminds me of that part in Beyond the Mat where good ol' JR tells Tony Jones that he had a good tryout match but that he should fill out his upper body a bit more.  Anyone who ever followed the wrestling business knew what Ross was telling him to do.

Lift heavier and eat loads of extra protein, with a wink and a smile? Not that Jones could tell, if there were either of those.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You saying The Prototype was on the gas?

According to Bruce Pritchard, no. It's funny when Vince says "Get that walking advertisement for steroids out of my locker room" and it turns out he had passed all the tests clean. Not sure what kind of tests those were, though? Multiple choice on a piece of paper asking "Are you on steroids? Yes, No, Maybe".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So the WWE just did a commercial during the pre-game for the Bills vs Ravens game.  Apparently Wrestlemania this year is a 2 day event.  Maybe people who have actually RAW and/or Smackdown as it is live.   

Also apparently next year WM is in Dallas and 2023 is at Sofi Field.    I guess they assume that California isn't going to get off the restrictions for a very long time.

Edited by hammerva

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Since they have been adamant about keeping the rosters separate (with some exceptions) - it is possible one will be a RAW day and one will be a Smackdown day

If you had money for one, Smackdown Live all the way.

I guess they are giving LA an extra year of wait considering how strict they are with the Covid restrictions. This was supposed to be the year they were gonna have WrestleMania had the Pandemic not been a thing. If Everything goes back to normal it'll be interesting to see if they trying to have Rock do a match considering he treated a March between he and Roman when Mania was announced for Hollywood originally. And how will they fill Cowboys stadium next year. I wonder with them most likely not going back to the normal schedule of running town when they start back having fans with it increase the Audience wanting to buy tickets for the bigger shows like Mania in the next few years

Edited by Ziggy

18 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Prototype goes grocery shopping (around 3:00)

This was great! The grocery shopping was amazing. I did go a bit crazy myself like that for a few years. These days (while still getting plenty of protein) my slow (and fast)carb and good (and bad) fat intake has increased substantially, because I just couldn't gain any more mass eating the way Cena was apparently eating at the time of this documentary. It's just really damn hard to believe anyone could look anywhere near that jacked and ripped and not be on something. I'm sorry Cena, I just don't buy it.

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wonder what the limited fan attendance will be in Tampa because with doing two nights they could rack up quite a few ticket sales with both evenings combined.  This is assuming that there will be limited attendance and assuming it's Florida... I assume they will be allowed. 

The Super Bowl is in the same stadium (albeit 2 months earlier). Right now the NFL is planning on 20% capacity though Roger Goodell (who clearly has some Vince in him) is all "AS MANY FANS AS POSSIBLE!!!!"

So at a minimum you know the WWE is going to do the same (if not more) because then they get to do their usual bit of bragging about how they had more fans than the Super Bowl (and this isn't even counting how we all know they will add both days together)

Florida lifted all restrictions on sports attendance in like October and as far as I know has not rolled them back - so it is up to each individual entity to use their own judgement. By the end of the season, all the Florida football teams were having games at 25% capacity. (I am only mentioning football since Mania is in a football stadium and you wont be able to get any sense of comparison using the Florida baseball teams)

For those wondering - 20% of Raymond James Stadium is just over 13,000. The Bucs most recent home game (which was January 3) had 24% attendance (a hair over 16,000). Again this is seating capacity of a football game - who knows what the WWE will be allowed since they can put seats all over the fucking place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wonder what the limited fan attendance will be in Tampa because with doing two nights they could rack up quite a few ticket sales with both evenings combined.  This is assuming that there will be limited attendance and assuming it's Florida... I assume they will be allowed. 

The Tampa Bucs have been doing around 15k and I think the Super Bowl which is taking place there too is around the same amount.  With seats on the field, I'd imagine they're looking at 20k per night.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Super Bowl is in the same stadium (albeit 2 months earlier). Right now the NFL is planning on 20% capacity though Roger Goodell (who clearly has some Vince in him) is all "AS MANY FANS AS POSSIBLE!!!!"

Supposedly, league management told the Fla teams to keep it to 25% or less.  For the optics, i assume.

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

I guess they assume that California isn't going to get off the restrictions for a very long time.

That didn't occur to me, but given Newsom's rhetoric, I don't blame Vince for wanting to avoid CA until the situation is more clear.  I still have quite a few friends in CA and they're wondering if they and their employers should have bolted for the door already.

Edited by Eoae