DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

26 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

...so about Jerry Lawler's punches...

Clearly a metaphor for the white working class and their preference for physical confrontation with those they deem responsible for their lowly financial situations brought on by neoliberal economic policies rather than trusting in the ballot, unions, or the free market to rectify these issues.

Also, really FUCKIN sweet, especially that big overhand right. 

EDIT: I just want to point out that the post above this edit is in complete jest - except for the last line, of course.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Is there a list anywhere of the interpromotional feuds in Japan and their time frames?

Off the top of my I know there's NJPW/UWF, NJPW/WAR, WAR/FMW, Noah/ZERO ONE and the NJPW Jr.'s/Noah Jr.'s.

Does anyone have the exact timeframes as to when these happened and other ones I'm forgetting?

6 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Is there a list anywhere of the interpromotional feuds in Japan and their time frames?

Off the top of my I know there's NJPW/UWF, NJPW/WAR, WAR/FMW, Noah/ZERO ONE and the NJPW Jr.'s/Noah Jr.'s.

Does anyone have the exact timeframes as to when these happened and other ones I'm forgetting?

NJPW/AJPW, WAR/UWFi, Z1/AJPW, BJW/CZW, AJW vs. everyone in the joshi scene during the 90s.

Apache Army/CTU, Apache Army/GBH, Suzuki-Gun/NOAH.

You can drop the jr.'s part of NJPW/NOAH. Heavyweights fought each other as well.

3 hours ago, The Comedian said:

It's easier if you pretend the Hurt Business are a group of red-pilled African Americans who have come to realize that the Democrats policy of "fighting racism" through smug condescension and provocation at best is completely wrong-headed and at worst is wrong by design (because the Democratic party really wanting racism to go away is like exterminators wanting roaches and rats to go extinct after all), and that they're actually better off fighting racism from the right, since the right would actually gain from uplifting the "I love my Confederate flag" crowd out of their ignorance...

It’s sad, because you actually believe all of what you just typed.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:

NJPW/AJPW, WAR/UWFi, Z1/AJPW, BJW/CZW, AJW vs. everyone in the joshi scene during the 90s.

Apache Army/CTU, Apache Army/GBH, Suzuki-Gun/NOAH.

You can drop the jr.'s part of NJPW/NOAH. Heavyweights fought each other as well.

I think the main part of the AJW vs. LLPW/JWP #2/FMW stuff went from the November 1992 Kawasaki Dream show to the November 1994 Egg Dome Universe show. I think it went almost exactly two years if you look at the two dates of those shows. You have the Jd' star/early GAEA wrestlers appearances as well some CMLL crossovers. Then they did another inter promotional thing with LLPW from like 97 or 98 to 99 with Kandori winning the red belt. Post bankruptcy it was all over the place because women went freelance and were probably let go to dump contracts. So you got folks all over the place until they shut down in the mid 2000s.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, that Lita story is depressing and also not remotely surprising.

What's the Lita story?  The "company threatened to fire me if i didn't take part in the 'live sex celebration' thing?  I found a headline to that effect when I googled Lita a bit ago, but the story itself has been removed from the website.  As far as I can tell, no other websites ran the story.  No idea if that means the article was inaccurate or what.

26 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Timeline on this? During the Mutoh era of AJ?

Post-split in 2000 & 2001. Haven't seen much of it aside from Kensuke/Kawada & Kawada/Fuchi vs. Nagata/Iizuka. Those were the matches I recall people raving about from it. There were interpromotional matches during the Mutoh era, but nothing feud level from what I recall. Still, I do recall Tanahashi having a solid run in the CC.

I am loathe to bring this up but since many kept bringing this up a few months ago.

Andrew Yang has not gotten a Biden cabinet position (as of this moment) so Andrew Yang announced that he is running for NYC Mayor.

Andrew Yang ain't doing shit for WWE wrestlers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Post-split in 2000 & 2001. Haven't seen much of it aside from Kensuke/Kawada & Kawada/Fuchi vs. Nagata/Iizuka. Those were the matches I recall people raving about from it. There were interpromotional matches during the Mutoh era, but nothing feud level from what I recall. Still, I do recall Tanahashi having a solid run in the CC.

Kawada & Nagai vs TenKoji from August 01 was one of my favorite tag matches ever back then. Is it online anywhere?

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am loathe to bring this up but since many kept bringing this up a few months ago.

Andrew Yang has not gotten a Biden cabinet position (as of this moment) so Andrew Yang announced that he is running for NYC Mayor.

Andrew Yang ain't doing shit for WWE wrestlers.

At a minimum, he should toss a few bucks to Zelina Vega's OnlyFans account.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Kawada & Nagai vs TenKoji from August 01 was one of my favorite tag matches ever back then. Is it online anywhere?

google search led me to rutube with only half the match. Maybe its on NJPW World.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Eoae said:

What's the Lita story?  The "company threatened to fire me if i didn't take part in the 'live sex celebration' thing?  I found a headline to that effect when I googled Lita a bit ago, but the story itself has been removed from the website.  As far as I can tell, no other websites ran the story.  No idea if that means the article was inaccurate or what.

Lita apparently said that on a twitch stream she was doing, but nobody wants to publish the claim, presumably because the clip was deleted (meaning it can't be verified), and therefore any website posting it  would be considered the publisher (and liable for damages if WWE denied the story and sued for libel). 

If you remember the steroid trial, the reason Vince got off was because he never actually told anyone to take steroids. He pushed people according to their physiques, and he would tell people who'd stopped taking them that they should push themselves, but he never actually said "You need to get on the gas". There's ways of saying to an employee "Do this skit or you're fired" that are euphamistic enough to not be grounds for a wrongful termination suit, while still being an absolutely obvious ultimatum, aren't there?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AxB said:

If you remember the steroid trial, the reason Vince got off was because he never actually told anyone to take steroids. He pushed people according to their physiques, and he would tell people who'd stopped taking them that they should push themselves, but he never actually said "You need to get on the gas".

Reminds me of that part in Beyond the Mat where good ol' JR tells Tony Jones that he had a good tryout match but that he should fill out his upper body a bit more.  Anyone who ever followed the wrestling business knew what Ross was telling him to do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Reminds me of that part in Beyond the Mat where good ol' JR tells Tony Jones that he had a good tryout match but that he should fill out his upper body a bit more.  Anyone who ever followed the wrestling business knew what Ross was telling him to do.

Saline or silicone?

• Haha 4