DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Yes, and I should have deleted that post before I hit enter.  I'm not perfect, but most of the time I try to avoid being sucked into pointless internet arguments.  In my defense, I've had a few mild dustups with Casey so he's hardly in a position to complain.  He's called me out a number of times for offenses like enjoying Black Friday shopping.  

I'd say 8 or 9 times out of 10, I show better judgement.   I do better with Twitter and such than I do with this board, for whatever reason.  To be honest, I probably act up more than I used to.  Since the pandemic started, my stress level has rocketed to scary levels and I sometimes feel like I dislike everything and everyone.  

No worries. I'm literally just having a laugh. It was way too tempting to look at those two posts and not go "Hey, wait a minute!" You're fine. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

32 minutes ago, Eoae said:

It's really not that hard.  People make it hard by insisting they be the only voice in the room and feeling entitled to shout down any opinion they don't agree with. 

You do know, alternatively, you could simply not engage in those conversations, right? Just because you disagree with what other people are posting doesn't mean you need to say anything. It was asked that people not bring up politics in the wrestling forum, even when they're tied directly to wrestlers and the business. It's fine to ask that but you can't expect people to answer it the way you want it to be answered. There are plenty of other times where the conversation is about something completely different, and nothing compels any single poster here to need to be a part of that conversation. Just because somebody absolutely adores Jerry Lawler's punches doesn't mean I NEED to chime in with a disagreement, and certainly doesn't mean I need to expect people to agree with me. 

But then again arguing with fans of Jerry Lawler's punches would be just wild ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Man should think before he tweets.

Reveal hidden contents

D36floIX4AAvTzT?format=jpg&name=large

To add some context (not that it really matters as it's a horrible tweet), he tweeted that out when they changed his gimmick to that for an NXT TV taping and then they reverted back because they noticed it was a horrendous idea.

4 minutes ago, Edwin said:

To add some context (not that it really matters as it's a horrible tweet), he tweeted that out when they changed his gimmick to that for an NXT TV taping and then they reverted back because they noticed it was a horrendous idea.

Yep. It was a stupid idea and I think they just kind wanted to tip-toe around the line. Then dingdong hops on Twitter and thinks to himself "Should I just tweet the 14 words and make it clear what I'm going for? No, let's ease into it..." Just bad on everyone's part. 

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Yep. It was a stupid idea and I think they just kind wanted to tip-toe around the line. Then dingdong hops on Twitter and thinks to himself "Should I just tweet the 14 words and make it clear what I'm going for? No, let's ease into it..." Just bad on everyone's part. 

They even had hit cut a promo which was a big oof, but it didn't make tape iirc.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

It lasted long enough for them to make a shirt with that character (and still carry it on WWEShop) and for him to promote it on Twitter at the time saying "Blood. Heritage. Family".

Oh wow. This is a real thing.

That yellow feather design definitely doesn't evoke a logo used by any notorious extremist groups. 

Spoiler

38628549AF.jpg?sw=800

Note that the name of the shirt is just "Dominik Dijakovic Authentic", instead of going by some kind of catchphrase... y'know, like the one he tried out in that tweet.

But his redemption arc is complete, he went from a white nationalist cosplay to an antifacist cosplay that.... uh, feuded with a group of black wrestlers. Wait, what?!

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Superstar Spectacle will be two hours, available in English and Hindi. Filmed in the Thunderdome and with elements of traditional and contemporary Indian culture.

" WWE Champion Drew McIntyre, Rey Mysterio, WWE Women's Tag Team Champion Charlotte Flair, AJ Styles, Bayley, The New Day, Shinsuke Nakamura, Cesaro, SmackDown Tag Team Champions Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode, Ricochet and many more plus an appearance by WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair"

The Indian talent will appear along with two new 7 foot plus rookies trained by Great Khali.

Edited by D.Z

This is how it was written on the WON

WWE has revealed some more information about their upcoming India special.

WWE Superstar Spectacle is being taped at the WWE ThunderDome and will be a two-hour event. It's premiering exclusively on Sony Ten 1, Sony Ten 3, and Sony MAX in India at 8 p.m. IST on Tuesday, January 26. The event is in celebration of India's Republic Day.

"The unique showcase of Indian-inspired action will emanate from the state-of-the-art WWE ThunderDome and incorporate stunning elements of traditional and contemporary Indian culture among epic matches featuring WWE Champion Drew McIntyre, Rey Mysterio, WWE Women's Tag Team Champion Charlotte Flair, AJ Styles, Bayley, The New Day, Shinsuke Nakamura, Cesaro, SmackDown Tag Team Champions Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode, Ricochet, and many more plus an appearance by WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair," WWE announced.

Appearances by the following WWE Indian talent have also been announced for Superstar Spectacle:

• WWE Superstar Jinder Mahal, the first WWE Champion of Indian descent.
  • The Bollywood Boyz, WWE Superstars Samir and Sunil Singh.
  • The first all-Indian tag team in WWE, Indus Sher, featuring Rinku and Saurav.
  • NXT Superstar Jeet Rama.
  • Kavita Devi, the first Indian woman to sign a WWE contract.
  • The Great Khali trainees Giant Zanjeer (7ft 2in, 340 pounds) and Dilsher Shanky (7ft, 310 pounds). 
  • Guru Raaj, the first Indian-born high-flyer in WWE.

"We love the passion and support from the huge WWE Universe in India, so we've teamed up with SPN, the exclusive home of WWE in India, to surprise our fans with an incredible event to kick off 2021," said Paul "Triple H" Levesque, WWE Executive Vice President, Global Talent Strategy & Development. "WWE Superstar Spectacle will be an epic event with electrifying matches featuring some of the biggest names in WWE along with our incredible Indian performers, plus thrilling and authentic Indian-inspired entertainment."

“WWE has consistently featured among the top watched sports properties in India over the years,” said Rajesh Kaul, Chief Revenue Officer, Distribution and Head -- Sports Business, Sony Pictures Networks India. “We are excited about presenting WWE Superstar Spectacle to WWE fans and viewers in India on Republic Day which will showcase and celebrate the best of the next generation Indian talent in WWE.”

When the event was first mentioned on WWE's third quarter financial call in October, WWE president and chief revenue officer Nick Khan said the show would also be distributed in the United States. An update on that has yet to be announced.

My favorite is "first Indian born high flyer"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Oh wow. This is a real thing.

That yellow feather design definitely doesn't evoke a logo used by any notorious extremist groups. 

Reveal hidden contents

38628549AF.jpg?sw=800

Vince probably killed the gimmick dead the first time he heard a promo and said DAMMIT PAL I THOUGHT HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A HEEL :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just realized that the move at the center of Dijak's rant is his backbreaker rack-> knee strike, so I'm scratching my head over what part of that Dijak invented.  It's basically a variation of Kenta's Go2Sleep and quite a few guys have used it since then.  The backbreaker setup is a little different, but Dijak doesn't really apply the backbreaker before dropping the guy into the knee strike, so his argument that he turns the opponent on his side instead of face down in the fireman carry position?  That's an odd hill to die on, so to speak.  Now I want a heel to start using Cena's AA but claim he innovated it because he does the move with his shoe untied or grabs the opponent's wrist with four fingers instead of five.

(That'd be a great way for MJF to draw heat, actually.)

I even hate to say Kenta innovated the Go2Sleep because there's probably someone out there who was doing something very similar well before Kenta.  There aren't that many moves.  Most moves are just variations of other, older moves.  Now that I think about it, there were a couple indy guys using the backbreaker go2sleep back in the 2000's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Now I want a heel to start using Cena's AA but claim he innovated it because he does the move with his shoe untied or grabs the opponent's wrist with four fingers instead of five.

(That'd be a great way for MJF to draw heat, actually.)

I love this! Like a pro-wrestling version of Vanilla Ice trying to claim the Ice Ice Baby beat is different from Queen/Bowie Under Pressure. "It's that itty bitty tsh"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Superstar Spectacle will be two hours, available in English and Hindi. Filmed in the Thunderdome and with elements of traditional and contemporary Indian culture.

I certainly trust WWE to treat traditional and contemporary Indian culture with the appropriate respect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, worldcupfever said:

I certainly trust WWE to treat traditional and contemporary Indian culture with the appropriate respect.

Same.  Although....I've been told I'm a bad judge of character.  The dude I met over the weekend that sold me a handful of magic beans in exchange for the family cow even went so far as to call me a mark.

In all seriousness, WWE views India as a major untapped market so I would expect them to be more culturally sensitive than normal.  Then again, Meltzer has said a few times that if Vince really wants to cultivate an untapped market, he should probably try harder to get fans in the US to buy tickets and tune in.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I love this! Like a pro-wrestling version of Vanilla Ice trying to claim the Ice Ice Baby beat is different from Queen/Bowie Under Pressure. "It's that itty bitty tsh"

You have no idea how happy this reference always makes me.

I mean no one under like 38??? understands it anymore but God I crack up everytime.

Just like remembering D-Von Dudley being randomly woken up by a Playboy model during a Spring Break

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

Best part about the Vanilla Ice thing is the lead-up to the punchline where he does the baselines of both songs. That's what makes "itty bitty 'ting'" line hit so hard. 

EDIT: OK, I gotta post this shit. 

And my wife's in her mid-30s rather than late-30s, and she jokes about this all the time. She's not yet 35, so I would say maybe 33 or so is your cut-off line for this reference. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

One of my favorite parts of CNN's The Nineties episode about music was Rob being asked about being hung off the balcony by Suge Knight and he admits everything except the balcony part ? Smart looking out dude, don't want a Blood to come to your house after you admit on TV that he committed a felony

And btw, if you haven't ever seen the Suge documentary by Antoine Fuqua -- it is fucking terrifying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

But his redemption arc is complete, he went from a white nationalist cosplay to an antifacist cosplay that.... uh, feuded with a group of black wrestlers. Wait, what?!

It's easier if you pretend the Hurt Business are a group of red-pilled African Americans who have come to realize that the Democrats policy of "fighting racism" through smug condescension and provocation at best is completely wrong-headed and at worst is wrong by design (because the Democratic party really wanting racism to go away is like exterminators wanting roaches and rats to go extinct after all), and that they're actually better off fighting racism from the right, since the right would actually gain from uplifting the "I love my Confederate flag" crowd out of their ignorance...

• Haha 1