DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

Infection is so random. I don't go anywhere besides the grocery store/picking up takeout and I had my mom and uncle over for Christmas and caught it. Thankfully they tested negative. My self isolation ended on Thursday and I had a "mild" case with a fever, shivers, congestion, loss of smell and taste for a few days and I still get random bouts of nausea.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

As noted before, no more WWE for me, but this is worded as such that I almost guarantee Drew vacates the belt, HHH announces the Rumble is now for the title ("ONLY THE THIRD TIME EVER!!~!! HISTORY IN THE MAKING!!" will be drilled into the audience's brain for weeks), and Goldberg or like Seth Rollins or someone wins the Rumble.

I'd he has 14 days to Quarantine he should be ready in time for Royal Rumble, it would seem weird for WWE to sell for Covid, especially it involving your main event guy when he can just miss only 2 TVs and be back for the go home RAW

1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

I'd he has 14 days to Quarantine he should be ready in time for Royal Rumble, it would seem weird for WWE to sell for Covid, especially it involving your main event guy when he can just miss only 2 TVs and be back for the go home RAW

Sure, but it potentially could be longer until he tests negative, or he may have a severe case, anything's possible. Pure speculation on my part anyway, I'm not arguing one way or the other

If I had to guess - and again totally guessing - it is because they have taken enough flak for not announcing any positives previously (and getting getting pissy at the people who did reveal they were positive) plus having their #1 guy on the RAW brand vanish until their 2nd biggest PPV

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Sure, but it potentially could be longer until he tests negative, or he may have a severe case, anything's possible. Pure speculation on my part anyway, I'm not arguing one way or the other

I have a feeling he is asymptomatic at the moment otherwise there is no way they would put him on TV (via Zoom) tonight.

Usual caveat that his symptoms can change AND that the WWE doesn't necessarily make the wisest decisions

• Like 2

Pro-wrestlers got nothing when it comes to sleaziness compared to footballers.

To add to what odessa said, not only did Neymar host a private party in brazil with no phones, but it's rumored it was a party spread across various days and with around 150 to 500 guests.

On the pro-wrestling side, you had Hangman Page tweeting about masks and social distancing, yet his co-workers continued uploading photos of big social gatherings in doors such as their big NYE party and at football games outdoors, but with folks crammed all up on each other and with folks visibly with masks below their chins and Joey Janela being a buffoon for participating in that entire GCW fiasco where a ton tested positive as they had no pre-events testing.

There's also Bayley and co tweeting about wearing masks, yet her co-workers like Ricochet are hosting big parties in doors with a ton of their co-workers crammed all on each other maskless and that's without mentioning the countless other folks who work for WWE who continuously upload photos to social gatherings all the time.

Edited by Edwin

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone know what exactly was Shigeru Saeki's involved with in U-STYLE? Was he a financial backer of some sorts? I know he's one of the most important figures in JMMA history and has always wanted to be involved in pro-wrestling, but I have no idea what his involvement with them is.

Edited by Edwin

51 minutes ago, Edwin said:

On the pro-wrestling side, you had Hangman Page tweeting about masks and social distancing, yet his co-workers continued uploading photos of big social gatherings in doors such as their big NYE party and at football games outdoors, but with folks crammed all up on each other and with folks visibly with masks below their chins and Joey Janela being a buffoon for participating in that entire GCW fiasco where a ton tested positive as they had no pre-events testing.

The Collective? Orange Cassidy, John Moxley, Marko Stunt and Sonny Kiss all worked there too.

On the WON website - Meltzer noted that someone on the Smackdown side also tested positive but that was known about last week so the person was pulled before the show (SDL that is)

Not giving anybody a Scarlet Letter, but getting tested often does not prevent from getting the COVIDs: your behavior (AND luck) does. I would not be surprised if there were many dunderheads who were sloppy about prevention because they were getting tested regularly. I have spoken to a couple workers who have laid low because of sloppy precautions from both promoters paying lip service to rules & common sense and workers who range from denialists to "well, gotta work". Oy, what a world.

- RAF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, Greggulator said:

Sorry if this breaks the no politics rule so feel to take this down. But Linda McMahon’s PAC contributed to putting together Trump’s event on Wednesday.

I will never click on one thing related to the WWE ever again.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/01/09/pro-trump-dark-money-groups-organized-the-rally-that-led-to-deadly-capitol-hill-riot.html?__twitter_impression=true

Not to kick a hornet's nest but I was very bothered by this for a day because of that summary and then I found out it is a bit misleading. Linda's PAC gave money to the group that ended up putting that event together... one time back in 2019. Now you can feel however you want about her PAC and the people it generally gives money to (I would likely agree strongly with those feelings), but unless something else comes out saying her group contributed to putting that wretched "event" together is at best a stretch and at worst not particularly truthful. There are tons of reasons to dislike any of these folks, we don't need to make up more.

• Like 3

Just gonna leave this here. Scorp talks about meeting Ali in Korea (and talking to him for two hours!) and then an insane story about a huge brawl outside the ECW Arena that involves the Great Sasuke fighting with his mask on ? It'll definitely put a smile on your face. 

• Like 3

On the post-Raw edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer reported that at least four WWE wrestlers have COVID-19 or are recovering from it. 

That number includes Drew McIntyre, one "big star" who just returned from having it, one wrestler on SmackDown who was scheduled for last Friday and then was taken off the show, and one NXT wrestler.

Meltzer speculated that others will likely be kept away from TV due to contact tracing. He didn't know anyone else on Raw that had it, but noted there was obviously a skeleton crew on Raw last night which necessitated the return of Triple H. He said that he wasn't sure if Kofi Kingston does have a broken jaw as was announced on the show.

Meltzer said McIntyre tested positive on Sunday as part of WWE's precheck measures before TV and that he is experiencing mild symptoms. The belief it that he didn't it have it last Monday during the Legends edition of Raw in which Goldberg challenged him to a match for the Royal Rumble.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just wait until people start really getting vaccinated. They're gonna drop masks like a bad habit and we'll have another spike or three.. 

Tell me about it.  I got part one of the vaccine on Saturday and when bringing this up to the nurse she had a very worried look on her face.  She really hopes that Governor Hogan doesn't relax rules for a long while after the vaccine and I can't say I blame her.  I feel kind of okay with my county knowing to still be careful despite the vaccine (save for a couple redneck bars that I try to avoid anyway)  But I think it's going to take a good while before I'll feel comfortable going back to Baltimore City to work.  I had to go there for the vaccine and afterwards I saw lots of people standing around without masks.  Considering they're one of the hotbeds in the state I got out of there as fast as I possibly could.

• Like 3

I'm watching Steve Austin vs Shane & Vince McMahon in a Ladder match from King of the Ring 1999, and y'know, whoever was behind GTV was a real asshole. They cost Steve Blackman a prime slot on a big PPV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm watching Steve Austin vs Shane & Vince McMahon in a Ladder match from King of the Ring 1999, and y'know, whoever was behind GTV was a real asshole. They cost Steve Blackman a prime slot on a big PPV.

Probably the same person who raised the God damn briefcase. And drove that white Hummer a month later.

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

She really hopes that Governor Hogan doesn't relax rules for a long while after the vaccine and I can't say I blame her.

I saw Hogan on The Circus last night and he seems a little more sane than the rest, but I wouldn't put anything past him. 

EDIT: Not to drag this out any further; I know the rules

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I saw Hogan on The Circus last night and he seems a little more sane than the rest, but I wouldn't put anything past him. 

EDIT: Not to drag this out any further; I know the rules

I'll send ya a message on Discord about it if you like but the tl;dr of it is that he's mostly sane.  Thank goodness for small miracles.

EDIT:  I think your username on there is Curt so I hope the message I just sent to you is to the correct username.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

What’s the definition of a long time supposed to be?  Supposedly,, everyone that wants vaccinated will be able to get vaccinated by Summer.  I’m kind of assuming mask mandates and the like get dropped shortly thereafter:

The point that because they get tested so often, wrestlers are probably less careful is valid. Like with the NYE parties...these people are sweating on each other and sharing dressing rooms weekly so very hard to say "don't hang out outside of work." The main thing you hope is that the next day they didn't roll over to visit Grandma in the nursing home or roll up to the Publix mask-less. 

Also, and I'm someone who lives in Florida and works as a public school teacher, the fact that this state has no restrictions on gatherings eventually does kind of normalize the idea of choosing what level of socialization your comfortable with based on your own acceptable level of risk and your evaluation of the risk you're putting other people in. I know people who live with their parents who have barely left the house and I know people who are young and live alone and have lived a pretty normal life for months. It's all contextual in an issue that so many see as black and white. I work inside a classroom five days a week which, so far, has gone better than you would assume based on news stories and it's certainly made me less hesitant to meet a friend at an outdoor brewery every few weeks. These wrestlers have been living this since March so hard to demonize them knowing that they accept the risk and, provided, they are being responsible around the elderly and ill. 

The big takeaway is maybe NOT post your galivanting on social media. For all we know, Tony Khan might require rapid tests, temp checks and people to garble HCQ before entering Jag stadium but all you see on IG is maskless people yucking it up. Terrible optics. 

Edited by Hagan
fixing typos

Apparently Matthew McConaughey did an interview with Maria Menounos and said he is interested in doing a wrestling match

So clearly he will wrestle Goldberg at Mania