DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

1 hour ago, bobholly138 said:

So what all weekly wrestling shows are y'all watching?

I catch Raw, NXT and Smackdown weekly.

I watch Stardom shows match by match over the week. Its not often I go through a whole show in one setting.

Other than that I tend to catch little outside the WWE/Stardom sphere. I might watch a couple of things a month. Its not like I dislike the idea, I just tend to have other things I enjoy doing as much (games, comics, etc.) so other promotions and older wrestling tends to get pushed back.

I'm retired and can watch wrestling all day (at night I watch home team sports). I DVR WWC Puerto Rico, Lucha Azteca CMLL, MLW, Impact Xplosion, NXT, AEW, IWS, and ROH Classics every week. I stream most of the full cards shown on Samurai TV and GAORA Sports excluding Dragon Gate, DDT related and am a year behind on NOAH. Sometimes online current stuff from AAA and CMLL. I will admit to much of it as background while I am online, reading or have music on.

I go to GCW shows in NJ and Lucha shows in NYC. I see 20+ shows in Japan in around New Years and Golden Week. I'm enough of a regular at the restaurants of Kyoko Inoue, Great Kabuki, and Genki Misae that they know Ka-to san by name.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I catch Raw, NXT and Smackdown weekly.

I watch Stardom shows match by match over the week. Its not often I go through a whole show in one setting.

Other than that I tend to catch little outside the WWE/Stardom sphere. I might watch a couple of things a month. Its not like I dislike the idea, I just tend to have other things I enjoy doing as much (games, comics, etc.) so other promotions and older wrestling tends to get pushed back.

Random Stardom question: is there a way to chromecast it from an Android device? I have the service but unlike NJW or Wrestling Universe which have an icon you tap on and it casts instantly Stardom doesn't.

51 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Random Stardom question: is there a way to chromecast it from an Android device? I have the service but unlike NJW or Wrestling Universe which have an icon you tap on and it casts instantly Stardom doesn't.

I don't really use Chromecast so I have no idea how well it works. I have seen topics about it on the Stardom reddit over the years. Here is one that might help 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

So what all weekly wrestling shows are y'all watching?

Current weekly TV? I've watched Dynamite for the last 3-4 weeks, which is as long as I've watched any modern weekly show since...somewhere around Raw 1000, I think. I've also been trying to catch at least the main matches from all of the All Japan and NOAH shows over the last 6 months or so.

My current "projects" are (re)watching World Class TV (currently through February '85), UWF TV (up to '87) and smattering in Monday Night Wars stuff that I literally haven't watched since it first aired. I don't exactly binge through any of it (though I'm certainly doing more than 1 episode a week). Just pick an episode or two based on what what I'm in the mood for that night. There's also a few youtube channels that I'll pick and choose what to watch. So there's a bunch of other various territorial stuff mixed in at times. Was just watching a Pro Wrestling USA show earlier, actually.

I try to watch Dynamite live, I tend to watch BTE as soon as it goes up, I generally skip through Dark watching whatever seems interesting.

I watch all of the "big" New Japan shows. Watched the whole G1, watched the finals of BOSJ/Tag League, watched both nights of WK live on my computer.

I am part of the Secret Santo project on here.

I cherry pick matches from the Clubbering, Bloodsucking, Machine, 2021, Not From the Now, and other threads on here, and from my YouTube and Dailymotion recommendations lists.

Thinking about what we were discussing earlier, it's really weird that we went from a period in the late 1990s where major promotions booked as little wrestling as possible on their shows and focused on lots of angles on weekly TV to the current situation, with lots and lots of long wrestling matches. 

I'm somewhat surprised that modern U.S. wrestling doesn't do more of this - maybe not to the extent that a RAW or Nitro from 1999 did, but to a much wider extent than it does now. I think that's why I enjoyed Powerrr so much; it mixed in lots of squash matches and semi-competitive matches, and it was not afraid to have a substantial amount of time spent on simply building matches, characters, or angles with studio interviews and video packages. It was very balanced.

Putting aside the quality of the angles and characterization on those shows, I think they work better than a three-hour show with lots of long wrestling matches. I'd rather have less wrestling and more interviews/video on a weekly show that builds to a wrestling-heavy PPV. By the time I stopped watching WWE, the PPVs and weekly shows felt no different from one another, and I felt that way about AEW before I stopped watching it as well. 

So my hot take is that in theory, I'd rather watch a weekly show that's angle-heavy with lots of two-to-four minute matches and a main event that is clearly meant to build to a PPV than watch a typical RAW circa-2016 or AEW. My REALLY hot take is that I would rather watch a show like the 1999 WCW which had a first hour of only promos/skits/etc. than a typical RAW circa-2016 or AEW show in theory, provided that the promos/skits are good and actually build effectively to something. 

• Like 3

I watch Dynamite with full attention and Dark (sometimes in the background). Raw and Smackdown I try and catch, but they aren't must see they used to be. And I try and watch whatever shows on NJPW World look good, or at least cherry pick good matches.

I watch way too much wrestling. I think I have a legitimate problem. It's almost OCD-like.. even stuff that I find just to be ok, I still have to watch every week or I don't feel like myself.

Monday: Raw

Tuesday: Impact, AEW Dark and NWA(if they are in-season)

Wednesday: NXT and AEW Dynamite(one live, the other immediately after)

Thursday: NXT UK and MLW

Friday: Smackdown and 205 Live

Weekend: ROH

I also binge-watch stuff on the Network in my downtime at work.. right now I'm watching all the Prime Times, 1986 & 1987 done, almost at the end of 1988. 

When Lucha Underground, GLOW and NJPW were on regular American TV, I'd catch that weekly as well.

Edited by Peck

4 minutes ago, Peck said:

I watch way too much wrestling. I think I have a legitimate problem. It's almost OCD-like.. even stuff that I find just to be ok, I still have to watch every week or I don't feel like myself.

Monday: Raw

Tuesday: Impact, AEW Dark and NWA(if they are in-season)

Wednesday: NXT and AEW Dynamite(one live, the other immediately after)

Thursday: NXT UK and MLW

Friday: Smackdown and 205 Live

Weekend: ROH

I also binge-watch stuff on the Network in my downtime at work.. right now I'm watching all the Prime Times, 1986 & 1987 done, almost at the end of 1988. 

When Lucha Underground, GLOW and NJPW were on regular American TV, I'd catch that weekly as well.

If you need help, we're here for you.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

I don't really use Chromecast so I have no idea how well it works. I have seen topics about it on the Stardom reddit over the years. Here is one that might help 

Thanks. Does the All Japan service work with Chromecast?

Dynamite, and whatever matches my friends and I pick and choose from on YouTube while we mic chat on PS4. It's been a lot of FMW lately, as one of our friends hasn't ever really seen much, so we pick stuff from Bahu's channel to get him into it.

Occasionally we will pick a random "obscure" match or one neither of us had seen.

I had them watch Blitzkrieg/Juvi from SS '99 the other day, they'd never seen it. That thing still holds up and always will.

Edited by PetrolCB

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

No idea. I only use Stardom World as far as Japanese wrestling sites go. I suggest asking in the general puroresu thread in the Japan section. I know some of the people there subscribe.

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 3:17 PM, odessasteps said:

List making used to be fun. 

now they are just empty clickbait calories on the internet. 

You know what's better than list making?

* stares at Cesaro v Bryan March Madness Finals thread *

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

It works on the Firestick’s many browsers. Same with all streaming services really. I believe it works on Chromecast, but I gave up on that device after awhile because it was too buggy. It’s probably improved since. It’s just when NJWorld got an official app on the Amazon store, I immediately jumped over to the competitor.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 8:39 AM, JonnyLaw said:

In this age of PPVs as exclusively big stadium and arena shows, it trips me out to remember the Survivor Series with the WCW-WWF Invasion was held in Greensboro, NC, where even WCW had largely stopped running by that point.

Greensboro was usually a pretty good crowd too.  I think WWE gave up on the city when they booed the Miz when he was trying to be face.

Current watching habit is AEW Dark for like a half hour a day as workout watching video, ROH on weekend, occasionally Dynamite or MLW, or a big NJPW show.

Edited by alstein

These days I watch AEW, Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, and New Japan when it's on. WWE and NXT have so much talent there's usually at least one match a week to track down from their shows. Impact is a work out watch so I usually don't listen but I watch most weeks. I'd like to get into some old school stuff, like 1996 Nitros or Mid-South, but I don't want to sign up for the Network again. 

• Like 1