DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

Lacey Evans comes off to me like a grade A fuckhead. I don't give a fuck that she was in the service, I think her dopey Southern Belle "bless your heart" shit is hella tired and not effective at garnering actual pro wrestling heat. 

I know very little about Cardi B other than she makes records that I don't listen to, but it seems like she was digging on her former wrestling fandom, and this piece of trash thought it would be a good idea to try to jump in. Also, on what fucking planet is telling her that she'll get more than her eye busted a "friendly heads up"?

Lacey Evans cultivates super strong "I'd like to speak to your manager vibes", and whether it is a character choice or her real life steez, I think it sucks.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Lacey Evans comes off to me like a grade A fuckhead. I don't give a fuck that she was in the service, I think her dopey Southern Belle "bless your heart" shit is hella tired and not effective at garnering actual pro wrestling heat. 

I know very little about Cardi B other than she makes records that I don't listen to, but it seems like she was digging on her former wrestling fandom, and this piece of trash thought it would be a good idea to try to jump in. Also, on what fucking planet is telling her that she'll get more than her eye busted a "friendly heads up"?

Lacey Evans cultivates super strong "I'd like to speak to your manager vibes", and whether it is a character choice or her real life steez, I think it sucks.

I'm not a fan of the character, especially in today's world. It's a real fine line with it especially since she wants to keep kayfabe with it. I respect that she's dedicated to it but it's 25 - 30 years to late. That type southern Belle thing is old.

• Like 1

Only time I saw her out of character was on UUDD and to be fair she seemed like a sweetheart.  So I'm hoping despite knowing better that it's just her not properly reading the room and not something more insidious.

I guess she's doing her job if she's getting folks worked up despite being a sweet heart in real life, no?

Anyway, been binge watching Finlay's SmackDown run on the WWE Network which I missed out on at the time as my interest in pro-wrestling at the time revolved around other pro-wrestling styles and promotions (mostly indys and Japanese pro-wrestling), but what an incredible run he had. Just endless great TV matches regardless of the opponent and he made everyone in the ring with him look like a world class talent.

His WCW run wasn't as good as this run as he was booked differently/was on a different position on the card (before he went hardcore, which was still entertaining in it's own comedic way), but he had some quality 5 minute matches against the usual show stealing crew of Regal, Benoit, Eddie, Booker T, etc. Unfortunately WCW was so focused on WCW and the NWO (and rightfully so as that was the big draw) that Heenan and Schiavone spent 85% of his matches talking about that instead of what was going on in the ring, although Heenan would pop for Finlay's vicious offense at times.

That ring apron trap spot was so neat. Wish someone would pick that up. The only thing I would take of WCW Finlay over WWE Finlay was the tombstone over the Celtic Cross as a finisher.

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The Cardi B moment is a textbook example of how WWE fails to capitalize on pop culture.

Cardi watched WWE around the Ruthless Aggression era. She doesn't watch now. The only current wrestler she's familiar with is Sasha. Someone apparently asked her about Sasha, and Cardi said she was a fan. That may be due to the Snoop connection, but no matter. it's a start. Plus her husband did "Ric Flair Drip" with Ric in the video. Maybe have Charlotte say something to Cardi, too.

Instead, Lacey goes heel, calling Cardi nasty. Cardi sees it and reacts accordingly. Because it comes across as some random White woman being vaguely racist. 

Pro tip: White women should not call Black women 'nasty'. It rarely ends well.

Apparently Trish Stratus also said something to Cardi that was well received. So it's not a question of big-upping wrestling. She'd probably work with WWE under the right circumstances. But bringing Lacey into the mix does nothing for anyone.

It's funny to watch wrestlers try to do their gimmick to a celebrity who has no clue what's happening. And then see it go wrong.

I think its less WWE trying and failing to capitalize on Cardi B watching and more Lacey being a dumbass trying to make something out of it on her own with someone she doesn't know at all. I like Lacey, but this was just moronic of her.

• Like 1

I switched on Raw, saw Miz and Morrison doing in-ring promo, and immediately switched Raw off.

What a great heel the Miz is, that he'd drive me to watch YouTube videos of people reading Reddit posts out loud, instead of wrestling. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, AxB said:

I switched on Raw, saw Miz and Morrison doing in-ring promo, and immediately switched Raw off.

What a great heel the Miz is, that he'd drive me to watch YouTube videos of people reading Reddit posts out loud, instead of wrestling. 

Wait are you my brother Derrick? ?

He messaged me to say similar. I asked if he watched Raw and he said “tried to, saw Miz, turned it off, watched Smackdown clips on YouTube instead.”

This is a single man, with nothing to do, during a lockdown, and he can’t even watch a minute of a 3 hour show. It’s damning!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Lacey Evans as the heater/muscle for Bayley could work...

I hope Cardi does get involved at some point because I hate when a hot main stream celebrity has an interaction with one of their talents independently of them and WWE gives it attention but the celebrity for some reason or another doesn't follow up. It makes WWE seem so desperate for mainstream media attention and lame when the celebrity doesn't try go get a payoff of the interaction. Like when Chris Brown had that interaction with Punk and he basically blew them off by name dropping wrestlers that were around before he was old enough to walk. Cardi's husband is closely associated with Flair and he seems too be a big enough fan himself doing songs mentioning Scott 2 Hotty so it can happen. I think its more of a case of downplaying her familiarity with Wrestling because it isn't as socially relevant. Especially in the hip hop culture unless your a legend like Austin, Flair or Undertaker 

Why do folks even bother watching if they dislike WWE currently so much? I'm currently checked out on their current programming, so I just check to see if the folks I'm interested are involved in matches and then just watch those. No way I'm spending 3 hours on a weekly basis on RAW.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Why do folks even bother watching if they dislike WWE currently so much? I'm currently checked out on their current programming, so I just check to see if the folks I'm interested are involved in matches and then just watch those. No way I'm spending 3 hours on a weekly basis on RAW.

I thought the hate watching of WWE has mostly died around here. I notice the Raw and Smackdown threads aren't as long as they used to be. I always thought giving up WWE would be difficult, but was surprised how easy it was. I watched bits and pieces of last week's Raw, but that was only to catch any Brodie Lee tributes. Other than that, I couldn't force myself to sit through a WWE show at this point.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

There is still so much other wrestling out here outside of WWE that is easily accessible. Most of them the same quality work rate but easier to invest in. New Japan,  AEW,  MLW are  easy to sink your teeth into.  Why wait for WWE to somehow get good again. I have the network so I just live off the PPVS for my WWE viewing. Smackdown is pretty good right now though. Even Dragon Gate has english commentary I hear

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

I do the same thing except I don’t watch any of the matches. 

I continued watching for many years after I stopped enjoying it, and even then it was only really the shitty business practices/moral bankruptcy of the company that got me to stop. What kept me doing it for so long was primarily habit, the fact that the WWF was the promotion that got me into wrestling so it always felt like my 'home' promotion, the hope that it would get better, wanting to support the wrestlers I like/d (of which there are still many) and the fact that my real life wrestling fan friends watched so it was something for us to connect over. Oh, and because I hate myself. Can't forget that one.

So I do get the hate watching, I get watching even though you know it's bad. It took me a long time to finally say enough is enough.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Modernity is for the birds.

Entirely true. I know Matt's probably thinking foremost about all the French catch that was uncovered, which is good, but basically I am only watching random matches from the '70s and '80s and, spoiler alert, wrestling was never better than it was between about 1975 and 1989, at least stateside. Well, I'll give 1992 WCW and 1997 WWF exceptions to that statement, but that's about it. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly