DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

10 hours ago, D.Z said:

WWE hired Christine Lubrano as the new senior Vice President of creative writing operations, she worked for Bravo tv and then IFC.

There an over/under on how long she lasts? I wonder what bill of goods they sell people to get them to join the company only for them to realize the horror that it was all a lie.

17 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

There an over/under on how long she lasts? I wonder what bill of goods they sell people to get them to join the company only for them to realize the horror that it was all a lie.

If it's not something super short, like a couple of weeks, then I'll give it a year. Enough for Vince to hype her up and expect her to fix all the problems, then gradually lose interest and start blaming her for everything and either firing her or causing her to quit in order to maintain her sanity. We've seen this plenty of times before. If people would do their due diligence, they would be less likely to fall for any of the smoke and mirrors they are likely to use to get people from outside wrestling to try and work for them. There are already so many examples to choose from. I hope I'm wrong, but it's likely to end in tears.

Edited by Shartnado
Typo

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think the rumor right now is VICE.

I do appreciate the irony of the channel that was doing documentaries about how shitty the pro-wrestling industry is, becoming the same channel that carries the second biggest promotion in the world. 

(No one tell them about Sasaki.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I do appreciate the irony of the channel that was doing documentaries about how shitty the pro-wrestling industry is, becoming the same channel that carries the second biggest promotion in the world. 

(No one tell them about Sasaki.)

To be fair - they also had another documentary series about how awesome and diverse pro wrestling is and can be (The Wrestlers, hosted by Fucked Up's Damian Abraham).

• Like 3

Also to be fair being a dedicated TV channel in 2021 means nothing anymore. All the networks are putting all their eggs into the streaming service model. TV has turned into a mall that only has big department stores, and a food court. Sports, Wrestling & Cable News being the department stores, and local news being the food court. The rest is just kiosks filled with things that nobody buys.

I give Vice a year before they ironically air reruns of Miami Vice, and becomes a shell channel.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

VICE is the type of channel that I would leave on in the background while I got extremely fucked up on drugs in my early 20s.

I liked Seat at the Table with Anand Giridharadas but apparently they cancelled it in July, so, yeah. I guess it's back to re-runs of Ancient Aliens and old 80s movies or something.

You know I thought TV would survive a little longer, but then I saw that Discovery, and their family of channels was starting up  a Discovery+ service, with exclusive programming. That is a huge blow to cable. Outside of Sports, Wrestling, and News, a lot of those Discovery channels pull in the bulk of TV subscribers.

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Usually those kinds of people they been hiring last long job wise in their roles,  Vince is more likely to can writers and wrestlers in short time instead.

Most of the corporate changes in the back are to get ready for the new era and this decade. I expect more content expansion with the future global NXT brands and other possible upcoming shows.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know I thought TV would survive a little longer, but then I saw that Discovery, and their family of channels was starting up  a Discovery+ service, with exclusive programming. That is a huge blow to cable. Outside of Sports, Wrestling, and News, a lot of those Discovery channels pull in the bulk of TV subscribers.

The Scrips family of channels is pretty much everyone's default background noise channels (Unless you're my wife, in which case it's Oxygen)

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

FWIW, I've heard it's gotten bad reviews so far - people claiming they can't find the content that was advertised, and so forth. 

Your mall comparison is spot on!

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I give Vice a year before they ironically air reruns of Miami Vice, and becomes a shell channel.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I guess it's back to re-runs of Ancient Aliens and old 80s movies or something.

Yeah, they're busy with an Intervention marathon today before one of the drug shows starts up again. If Vice is a mall then wrestling, drug shows, their nightly news, and the food shows are the department stores. Ancient Aliens, Intervention, and whatever other scraps they show are the food court. In fact besides the Bronson shows the food shows might be in the food court too. 

EDIT: I forgot about both the documentary stuff they do, which would be department, and the fact that one of their drug shows is also a food show

Edited by Curt McGirt

Apparently word got to Cardi B that she was name dropped yesterday by Torrie Wilson.  

She's a fan of WWE, which of course, meant that the heels felt they needed to play along.

Spoiler

Eq_lMAEW8AAVrj0?format=jpg&name=medium

Long story short, Cardi B has just been indicted for murder. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Cardi B was tweeting she was a WWE fan and she mentioned Trish and Melina and they replied to her tweets and she was all excited.

So I’ve actually watched an ROH YouTube clip. I had seen this lady on these thumbnails for the videos for months without knowing who she was. I’ll say this, after seeing her work here she might be the best on screen Kayfabe personality in wrestling since Gene Okerlund. This woman is committed to being a caricature of a real life sports announcer. You don’t hear, or see wrestling announcers like this anymore so it’s kind of refreshing that this person exists. Now I don’t want announcers like this all the time, but I’m okay with this one personality.

Quinn McKay is her name, and she’ll probably be hired by one of the big two one day.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I’ve actually watched an ROH YouTube clip. I had seen this lady on these thumbnails for the videos for months without knowing who she was. I’ll say this, after seeing her work here she might be the best on screen Kayfabe personality in wrestling since Gene Okerlund. This woman is committed to being a caricature of a real life sports announcer. You don’t hear, or see wrestling announcers like this anymore so it’s kind of refreshing that this person exists. Now I don’t want announcers like this all the time, but I’m okay with this one personality.

Quinn McKay is her name, and she’ll probably be hired by one of the big two one day.

I love her, she's a great twitter follow. She's the only part of ROH TV that doesn't put me to sleep when I've tried to watch it lately.

This is a sad day in America wrestling fans.  No I am not watching about this bullshit with certification of the election.  I looks like the WCW Deep Cuts and Monsoon Classic Twitter pages have been suspended 

although it looks like someone just created a version of Deep Cuts that looks like the old account.  

• Sad 4

The Cardi B moment is a textbook example of how WWE fails to capitalize on pop culture.

Cardi watched WWE around the Ruthless Aggression era. She doesn't watch now. The only current wrestler she's familiar with is Sasha. Someone apparently asked her about Sasha, and Cardi said she was a fan. That may be due to the Snoop connection, but no matter. it's a start. Plus her husband did "Ric Flair Drip" with Ric in the video. Maybe have Charlotte say something to Cardi, too.

Instead, Lacey goes heel, calling Cardi nasty. Cardi sees it and reacts accordingly. Because it comes across as some random White woman being vaguely racist. 

Pro tip: White women should not call Black women 'nasty'. It rarely ends well.

Apparently Trish Stratus also said something to Cardi that was well received. So it's not a question of big-upping wrestling. She'd probably work with WWE under the right circumstances. But bringing Lacey into the mix does nothing for anyone.

It's funny to watch wrestlers try to do their gimmick to a celebrity who has no clue what's happening. And then see it go wrong.

• Like 11