DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Texas seems like it's own thing compared to the rest of the "South", as a Yankee the places I've been and people I met in Texas were way way different than the Carolina's, Georgia, Tennessee, and Kentucky. 

Florida seems to be a weird one. It's funny cause as much shit as Vince gets for being anti-Southern, shit like Skinner was Keirn's idea. Vince just signed off on it. 

Also, a good number of Vince's confidants are/were as southern as you can get: Prichard, Ross, Cornette, Brisco and for a short while Watts and Jerry Jarrett were with WWF. Matter of fact, when business was really down, they were running places like Macon, Nashville, Fayetteville, NC, Florence, SC, and Louisville for TVs and PPVs. You can only go to the Manhattan Center and the Midland Marine Arena so many times as a touring venture.

Wasn't there a thing about how Brodie Lee (when he was Luke Harper) got soured on by Vince because he couldn't believe a guy could look like a truck driver and not have the accent to go with it? I mean being upset someone was not able to talk a certain way would totally be a Vince thing.

4 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Wasn't there a thing about how Brodie Lee (when he was Luke Harper) got soured on by Vince because he couldn't believe a guy could look like a truck driver and not have the accent to go with it? I mean being upset someone was not able to talk a certain way would totally be a Vince thing.

I can recall that too.  Don't remember the source, but yeah  a man from New York couldn't do a southern accent.

48 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I had always heard that he thought Tony Schiavone sounded too southern....I've never thought Tony had any kind of accent. I've heard Georgian accents, and Tony does not have that.

That's cause he is from Virginia as odessa stated. With that said, Schiavone at times said that's why Vince wasn't that high on him as a commentator the year he was there. 

I think part of that though is just Vince micromanaging commentary even then. However, as the decade progressed, Heenan and Ventura left, Gorilla moved to other duties, Vince was frequently working with guys more southern than Tony in Ross, Lawler, and Cornette. Kevin Kelly came around not long afterwards but Vince never ever made him the guy. I think Vince was looking for big personalities on commentary as well but it stopped working because they either sucked (Superstar Billy Graham) or they stopped having big personalities in ring. Cornette and Lawler worked cause they were funny off the cuff. Ross worked (when Vince let him out of the doghouse) cause he became more unhinged than when he was working for Watts and JCP/WCW. Tony never projected big personality. Hell, that's probably why Ross can overpower him on AEW commentary today and Schiavone can only chime in every so often. Ross is use to dealing with the whattamaneuver 12Hegothimohnohedidnt guy.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Tony's developed a real great system now where he says "You're absolutely right, Jim, and..." then goes on to make his original point before JR went off. Listen for it on Wednesday

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Tony never projected big personality. Hell, that's probably why Ross can overpower him on AEW commentary today and Schiavone can only chime in every so often. Ross is use to dealing with the whattamaneuver 12Hegothimohnohedidnt guy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The consequences?  Of my actions?  

Well, Hulk, I also think people find your personality very grading, especially when you have lost so much influence in the industry that nobody has to force themselves to kiss up to you.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

Is there anything more cringe than fans who use the term "mark"? Even most people in wrestling these days shy away from using it, any time I see someone online use the term my eyeballs roll right into the back of my head.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Is there anything more cringe than fans who use the term "mark"? Even most people in wrestling these days shy away from using it, any time I see someone online use the term my eyeballs roll right into the back of my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I kinda get a kick out of it because I hear the average person use it now too. At least “Smark” seems to have been erased from the lingo today.

• Like 1

Mark and smark remind me of JAPW who back in the day named a show "Smarts Only" which is I consider one of the worst show names along with this ROH gem:

711hpAxBTwL._SY445_.jpg

Edited by Edwin

18 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Mark and smark remind me of JAPW who back in the day named a show "Smarts Only" which is I consider one of the worst show names along with this ROH gem:

711hpAxBTwL._SY445_.jpg

I WAS AT THAT SHOW!  The semi main was that crazy Corino-Homicide that caused Corino to lose hearing in one of his ears and the main only went like 6 minutes until Ki accidentally knocked Maff out legit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Edwin said:

711hpAxBTwL._SY445_.jpg

Spoiler

NSFW

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The consequences?  Of my actions?  

Gee, Terry! I wonder why that is? What on earth could have brought this on? You've been stealing the main event since '93, so you'd think "the boys" are used to it by now. Could it be something else, perhaps? No? Well, ok then. Good talk. Bye!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:
  Reveal hidden contents

NSFW

I agree that Smarts Only is a very bad name for a wrestling show! I don't have a problem with the other one. No, wait! Stiffer enemies is pretty stupid too, the 3rd one, is OK, tho!

Edited by Shartnado
Missed the actual ROH show name

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Matter of fact, when business was really down, they were running places like Macon, Nashville, Fayetteville, NC, Florence, SC, and Louisville for TVs and PPVs. You can only go to the Manhattan Center and the Midland Marine Arena so many times as a touring venture.

In this age of PPVs as exclusively big stadium and arena shows, it trips me out to remember the Survivor Series with the WCW-WWF Invasion was held in Greensboro, NC, where even WCW had largely stopped running by that point.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

I WAS AT THAT SHOW!  The semi main was that crazy Corino-Homicide that caused Corino to lose hearing in one of his ears and the main only went like 6 minutes until Ki accidentally knocked Maff out legit.

I was also there! First ROH show! I had no idea what the hell was going on. Very bizarre scene outside the building. Lots of "I think they were going for a flash KO finish?" vs. "HE'S DEAD." The Corino/Cide match ruled, as did Corinos ring announcement. First time I'd ever seen Joe or Punk as well. I oddly remember thinking, wow Dunn and Marcos could be stars. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyLaw said:

In this age of PPVs as exclusively big stadium and arena shows, it trips me out to remember the Survivor Series with the WCW-WWF Invasion was held in Greensboro, NC, where even WCW had largely stopped running by that point.

The first PPV in the Austin as #1 dog era was Unforgiven 1998 in Greensboro.

20 hours ago, AxB said:

So did everyone see the thing where NJPW said they'd be announcing new TV deals in the USA *and UK* soon?

I think the rumor right now is VICE.

15 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Brodie mentioned this several times in podcast interviews post-WWE release. I know it's in the Talk Is Jericho one right after he debuted for AEW.

• Like 1