DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I ask, who is the greatest past their physical prime wrestler ever?

Answers will vary according to your taste, but for me the first three to spring to mind are Austin, Onita, and Jericho. Would rather watch their later work any day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Are wrestlers who aren't naturally athletic and therefore didn't really have a physical prime eligible?

31 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

You could argue that Mutoh did his best stuff after his knees were shot.

Minoru Suzuki should probably be in the conversation, too.

Mutoh's knees were shot in like 1968.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

How old was Takayama in 2001-2002? 

35/36. He just had his face pounded in so looked like a gargoyle.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Minoru Suzuki should probably be in the conversation, too.

Yep, the worse his neck got the better he got. I’ll admit I wasn’t a fan of Suzuki the pro wrestler prior to his highly praised Tanahashi championship match. He was just too “technical” at one point, and relied on his charisma to work matches. It was probably for safety reasons, but to me that made for some of the most boring  big matches in wrestling back then. He eventually figured it out, and developed a routine that fans understood well. That’s practically the New Japan in-ring style now. It’s very routine, but digestible.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

10 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Finlay,  having an inring run in WWE after his career ending nerve injury in WCW. He didn't change a bit since WCW even considering he was in his late 40s early 50s in WWE. Even his Indy run even later was just as good or better even against much younger guys. Finlay is one of my all time personal favorites. Heck, even Vince said Finlay was a personal favorite and he would've made him Champion if he was younger 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m watching a BATT Vs. WAR six man from 2002. Seeing the brilliant early 00’s Tenryu at work, and I had a thought. I’ve always felt that Tenryu didn’t get great until he became nearly immobile. So I ask, who is the greatest past their physical prime wrestler ever?

I'd agree with the sentiment that Tenryu was a) always pretty damned good, having great matches in the 80ies, 90ies and 2000s & b) was already past his physical prime when he started, simply because he had a pretty long Sumo career (made it to the top level aswell) and sumo tends to wear its fighters down quickly. 

While thinking about it I realized that Mick Foley had his biggest success within the last 16 or so months of his career as a fulltimer, he probably didn't have his greatest matches in that time frame, though. 

Taker could be an answer, he looked shot in the late 90ies and totally out of shape when he came back as Bikertaker at first, then he found his rhythm, came back as Dead Man, was horrible at first, then got really good again, even while being a somewhat regular roster member. When he went part time, he was really amazing for a few more years until he broke down once and for all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Finlay,  having an inring run in WWE after his career ending nerve injury in WCW. He didn't change a bit since WCW even considering he was in his late 40s early 50s in WWE. Even his Indy run even later was just as good or better even against much younger guys. Finlay is one of my all time personal favorites. Heck, even Vince said Finlay was a personal favorite and he would've made him Champion if he was younger 

Good shout. Been watching his WWE run as I wasn't watching WWE at the time and he was absolutely incredible. Just endless quality matches where he made everyone look like a star.