DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

On 1/1/2021 at 11:49 AM, Andy in Kansas said:

The parade of human misery will never stop and its pace will never slow. Enjoy your one or two days of hope. The end is nigh.

And if you think that’s dark, wait till Brock is WWE Champion again. 

1st sign that you might be correct?

Foley has the COVID. 2020 is not done with us yet. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Not sure how many MeTV viewers are actually on here, but whenever I see the human host of their new classic Cartoon show, I think "Shawn Michaels is hosting a cartoon show now?"

YV6fd-1608565947-276-show-300X165_toonin

LOL. For a while now Shawn Michaels has resembled Trevor from Grand Theft Auto V and Steve Keirn.

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

And so Mistico has it too? Great. 

You know Foley missing Xmas was one of the most crushing blows to have for him. 

Foley said so. Christmas is his favourite time of year. My favourite holiday also.

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

He's a fraud, his real name is Maurice. I will make an exception for Hideo Nomo.

I wouldn't say he's a fraud, I'm sure some people call him Maurice.

Nomo is a good one. He did get that shout out in that Phil Collins song.

I’m watching a BATT Vs. WAR six man from 2002. Seeing the brilliant early 00’s Tenryu at work, and I had a thought. I’ve always felt that Tenryu didn’t get great until he became nearly immobile. So I ask, who is the greatest past their physical prime wrestler ever?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

21 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m watching a BATT Vs. WAR six man from 2002. Seeing the brilliant early 00’s Tenryu at work, and I had a thought. I’ve always felt that Tenryu didn’t get great until he became nearly immobile. So I ask, who is the greatest past their physical prime wrestler ever?

Masa Fuchi after the splitters left to form NOAH. 36 years old and carried that company for the first year, post-split.

Tenryu was great always, imo. He just continued to ride his greatness and got grumpier.

Are we solely speaking of folks who continued working full time past their physical primes or also folks who solely began working a lighter schedule in the later years?

If it's folks who began working a lighter schedule in the later years, then there's quite a few folks that can be mentioned.

24 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I got to go with Larry Zbyszko. 

18 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Are we solely speaking of folks who continued working full time past their physical primes or also folks who solely began working a lighter schedule in the later years?

I’m thinking more along the lines of “Oh shit, that guy can’t take a proper bump anymore, but dammit he might be even better”.

I agree that Tenryu to some eyes might’ve been great already. In my eyes though, he just seems more locked in. He becomes stiffer, smarter, and while you say it’s “grumpiness”, I would say it’s more cockiness. He just comes across as more like an old, but youthful punk trying to show up both veterans, and (At the time)today’s wrestlers. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
44 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Bockwinkel for me unless you mean people who physically broke down after their physical prime.

27 minutes ago, Linus said:

Masa Fuchi after the splitters left to form NOAH. 36 years old and carried that company for the first year, post-split.

46, not 36 (Fuchi was born in 1954; I had to look that up as I thought that there is no way that Fuchi was only 36 in 2000).

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2021 at 9:35 AM, Eoae said:

Fairly sure that's what got Mongo into the Horsemen: getting Flair and the boys into parties where everyone forgot each other's names after a hard night of drinking.

Saw an old Observer item recently about WCW trying to resign Mongo to a new contract and Mongo refusing to sign unless he got assurances he wouldn't be split off from the Horsemen.  Priorities!

Smart move on his part because he would've been terrible on his own with out those guys. He was already split with Debra which would have been another thing working against him as she added so much to him. Being linked with Flair , Arn and Benoit I'm sure stopped him from being a complete disaster in the ring so good for him. I'm sure they could've put him back in the booth. I'm sure people probably thought he was a waste of a Horsemen slot but he fit it perfectly Persona wise. He had charisma and just like Kevin Greene the fans knew he was a genuinely huge wrestling fan, that always helps when you come in from the outside. 

Pat McAfee is alot like Mongo, he has the Charisma,  he can talk, he's great at being a heel, he has all the natural instincts except he's a much much better worker and the crazy thing about that is he's just getting started. He's even similar in that he's grouped with elite workers 

Edited by Ziggy