DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 WRESTLING IMAGERY

RIPPA

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Holy shit, they signed Randall "Tex" Cobb.

Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 8.48.59 AM.png

That dude is really fun. Great look, solid work. They're too full on the men's side as it is but they definitely need to keep tabs on him.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

ErLWMa-XcAInDmh?format=jpg

Ric Flair working the high school gym show with the World Heavyweight Championship in tow. I would love to know what bumfuck town in the Carolinas, Texas, Southeastern or Central States area this was.

I think it's actually Portland.

7.10.04 NOAH Departure - GHC Title Match - Kenta Kobashi (c) vs. Jun Akiyama

One of my favorite matches, and I’m a big fan of both guys, but they did some dumb stuff in their matches.  I feel like this match should have shortened both of their careers - but Kobashi was already falling apart and Akiyama is 51 and still going, so... maybe not.

Random trivia: the day before the match, Wrestling Observer reported on its website that Kobashi’s epic title run was over and Akiyama was/would be the new champion.

Oops.  Dave got worked.  Kobashi retained the belt.  I think Akiyama should have won, but following Kobashi was a tall order so maybe it’s just as well that he didn’t.  Noah eventually put the title on former sumo star Takeshi Rikio but fans didn’t really take to him and it was something of a failed experiment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, @Eoae. I love Kenta Kobashi, he's in my top three wrestlers of all time ahead of Kazuchika Okada but behind Daniel Bryan. Kenta Kobashi's reign as GHC Champion is one of the best reigns in the history of wrestling. Kobashi vs. Jun Akiyama from the Tokyo Dome, NOAH's first was the best title defence. I also think Akiyama was the one to have ended it. I see why they put it on Takeshi Rikio as a new star/headliner but it didn't work out.

14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thanks, @Eoae. I love Kenta Kobashi, he's in my top three wrestlers of all time ahead of Kazuchika Okada but behind Daniel Bryan. Kenta Kobashi's reign as GHC Champion is one of the best reigns in the history of wrestling. Kobashi vs. Jun Akiyama from the Tokyo Dome, NOAH's first was the best title defence. I also think Akiyama was the one to have ended it. I see why they put it on Takeshi Rikio as a new star/headliner but it didn't work out.

We're going to be posting what I think is an unearthed Kobashi/Patriot vs Kawada/Taue match this week that was a  lot of fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Random Trivia: the day before the match, Wrestling Observer reported on its website that Kobashi’s epic title run was over and Akiyama was/would be the new champion.

Oops.  Dave got worked.

"Plans changed."

Edited by Edwin