DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

I skipped going out last night because I had to wash every scrap of bedding and girls' clothing because my youngest got head lice at a sleepover on my ex's weekend with my daughters. I'm thinking that suddenly made me a responsible adult?

Funny how that just sneaks up on you...

Took my son bowling yesterday. He's never done it before. 

It takes a special kind of child to throw the ball in the gutter with the bumpers on.

Also my wife has decided child #2 will be a home birth. IT'S GONNA GET CRAZY IN JAE'S HOUSE

• Like 2

My daughter loves soccer and we spend the warmer afternoons at the park.  I run her through dribbling drills until her legs fall off and then she gets to practice shooting with me as the target.... er... goalkeeper.. 

I would trade "line drive shots into my dome with a soccer ball" for "gutter ball with bumpers" any day of the week.

• Like 2

Just wanted to give a quick shout-out to parents of kids with ADHD, Autism, and the like.  Yesterday I had to step in as the coach of my girls' bowling league and the one little guy with ADHD had a total breakdown because his mechanics were just not coming together.  I have no experience with any of these sort of issues, and I was initially at a complete and utter loss as to how to get this little guy back on track.  It took a lot of energy and effort, but by the end of the day he was in a great mood; his father was very appreciative of my efforts...and I was drop-dead exhausted after only two hours of it.

For parents that deal with these issues on a daily basis, you have my utmost respect and admiration.

• Like 2

It can be a task sometimes.  One of the issues my daughter has is Occupation Defiant Disorder, and that leads to her having breakdowns that involve hurting herself, doing things like clawing or punching at her face or banging her head on the nearest surface.  It's scary as shit and tough to deal with sometimes. During meltdowns, the only thing I/we can do is to restrain her so that she can hit herself.  I've figured her out enough that I can see when see "checks out" and the real meltdown is about to happen, but I worry when she starts school next year, she's not going to have the adequate personnel to stop her in a kindly manner, which means that I'll have to go to the school and put the Fear of MADCAP into someone. Therapy is helping and will ultimately work, but being the worrysome guy that I am, I'll never be totally relaxed about her condition.

Stay on top of your daughter's teacher to be sure she is getting the right IEP for her needs.  With inclusion classes and 4-5 students requiring unique lesson plans with accomodations different from their peers, some teachers will get lazy and try to shoe horn your child into learning styles that aren't right for them.  I can appreciate the difficulty of their jobs, but it's not right to cheat any child out of a decent education.

There are a lot of online communities related to autism.  I would suggest looking at some of them, they have good advice on what to expect with school and other social settings.

Also, consider checking with the central office of what will be your daughter's school district.  Ask for the SPED coordinator and see if they have any info regarding accomodations and inclusion rules for their schools.  They should have something in place and that information should be fairly open to the public.

• 2 weeks later...

This past Monday was Phoebe's one month check up. She is doing great. She weighs 11lbs 4oz and is 24 1/2 inches long. Freakishly long but not where she looks odd. She just might be really tall. 

Me and the wife usually do Black Friday but choose to do it online and by last night we had Christmas shopping done and I also picked up for my birthday some ps3 games.

It takes a special kind of child to throw the ball in the gutter with the bumpers on.

Also my wife has decided child #2 will be a home birth. IT'S GONNA GET CRAZY IN JAE'S HOUSE

Our last baby was a home birth. It was awesome. It's so much better than the hospital. As long as you got a midwife you trust, it'll go great.

Besides, all you got to do is be there to reassure her. She's the one doing the heavy lifting.

Our last baby was a home birth. It was awesome. It's so much better than the hospital. As long as you got a midwife you trust, it'll go great.

Besides, all you got to do is be there to reassure her. She's the one doing the heavy lifting.

Oh don't sell the husband's job short.  We have to watch the whole thing.  She gets to close her eyes when it all starts flying out of her body.

Oh don't sell the husband's job short. We have to watch the whole thing. She gets to close her eyes when it all starts flying out of her body.

Dude, I was there.

I need to get this down for the sake of posterity.  My oldest daughter is starting the march towards puberty...and it is Hell. She is argumentative, sullen, snotty and just...MEAN. 

That's not what I'm worried about: the little one is already mean, sullen, argumentative...and VIOLENT. She is only six.  I'm afraid when she hits puberty she will shank me like a prison stoolie.  I'm fucking frightened.

Oh don't sell the husband's job short. We have to watch the whole thing. She gets to close her eyes when it all starts flying out of her body.

Dude, I was there.

That's why I said "we".

The hospital thing fucking sucked. She hated it. At one point they left to go find more punk scrubs to watch this "miracle" unfold and it was just me and her. I was like "Fuck it, babe, let's pop this fucker out before they get back and we might be able to finish Cool Hand Luke on AMC."

Anyway it became real clear that child birthing in America has nothing to do with the mom and more about fitting it in to some doctor's schedule. And giving you drugs. Even the concept of laying in a bed to give birth doesn't make sense to me. So I totally support her on this. My grandmother told my mom about women giving birth in rice paddies in Japan, so I say our apartment is a pretty good compromise.

Also. Wash your rice before cooking.

• Like 1

I gotta say, I'm the opposite.  I had horrible experiences with my wife's midwives fucking around with the all natural shit twice, and both times when we finally got a Doctor involved, the Doctor's, both times, took one look and said "Fuck this shit, we need this child out NOW."

First time my wife wanted all natural, had 36 hours of labor being stuck at 8cm for 24 of it.  Went way too fucking long, and got the doctor when I bitched because the baby's heartrate was all over the damn place the wife's temp was breaking 102.  Doctor came in, and took about 10 seconds to say "C-section, no more fucking around" and me another 2 seconds to agree, because my wife started going delerious.

Between then and just recently, my wife gained two herniated disc's in her Lower lumber region with one more bulging.  We were gonna schedule and everything, but the midwives talked her into going natural.  A week off of work for me because her back went inoperable at 8 months and I pushed for her to see the Doctor when the Midwife at the appt I was at was just "Oh, no big deal, everything's normal and you can go natural."  Doctor took 20 seconds and one measurment to say "Fuck this, baby's coming out tomorrow."  (week early).  Baby ended up massive, and would've destroyed what's left of my wife's back should she had attempted to go natural.

So I haven't had the best experiences with midwives, but the two Doctors we got were extraordinary.

But the Hospital makes all the difference.  We went to 6th best Hospital in Central Jersey (15th overall in the state), so your results will vary.  For reference, the hospital closest to where I lived when my daughter was born (we went 20 minutes further for a better hospital) fucked up my cousin's c-section totally, so yeah, it depends on where you go.  Research,

• Like 1

Over this side of the pond its pretty much the same. We had no real need for the doctor to come in, I had complete faith in Rachel and Natalie (the midwife and her padawan, as she got introduced to me)

At the end of it, they do this for a living, they know the signs, they know I'm going to be a blubbering wreck (which i was) they know she's going to be in a shit ton of pain and they know that after all the screams, shouts, threats to cut my dick off, we'll have a bundle of joy looking vaguely like winston churchill.

Mrs Red was cleared to go to the midwife led birthing unit. We took a tour round both bits before hand and I'm really fucking glad it was on the MLBU side and not the doctors side. Holy shit, that place was like a gulag. institutional green, lights flickering don the murky hallways, and occasional glimpses of screaming women. Was half expecting a puppet to be riding a trike down one of the hallways.

In other news, we may have just had our first independent steps. Hands off the walker, one or two steps, then she realises gravity works and crumples in a heap, before giggling and trying again.

14 months old today, finally learned daddy beer. life is sho nuff good.

• Like 2

Let me tell you, those folks at Pump It Up run a well oiled machine. For those who don't know, it's just a massive room with inflatable structures for kids to lose their fucking minds on, before devouring pizza and cake. We've gone to two different birthday parties now(just got back from one moments ago) and it's pretty pain free. It also has a rock climbing wall so you can watch kids act like tough shit before pissing their pants 10 feet in the air! 

So I'm taking my kid out to eat yesterday, and she notices the "bat-signal" lights in the sky and she really thinks that it's the Afro Circus coming to town.

I just didn't have the heart to tell a 4 year old that those lights were coming from the local nudie bar...

• Like 3

So I'm taking my kid out to eat yesterday, and she notices the "bat-signal" lights in the sky and she really thinks that it's the Afro Circus coming to town.

I just didn't have the heart to tell a 4 year old that those lights were coming from the local nudie bar...

Yeah, the fucking furniture store blow-out sale faked out my daughter and me the other night.  Only airports and circuses should be allowed to use spotlights.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EAnnwUCviQ

does this work? I've had to hide some videos - mostly so i can release them on her 16th birthday if she starts acting like a madam...but I've set that one to public.

Proud daddy moment - we spent most of the evening getting her to do that. She was willing, which was good.

All bets are now off.

• Like 3

It's hard for me to defend the child birthing process in America right now seeing as my wife and I are expecting ( her second and my first) and we did all this legwork to find someone covered by our insurance and set up an appointment a month out to have my wife call today and tell me they need to reschedule us.

We had to shift our work shifts around and everything for this and then they tell us the need to change it. Next available appointment is after the new year. Luckily she was able to schedule something with a mid wife....for Christmas Eve.

This is our first trim ester appointment.

I've got two little girls, ages two and four. They're both pretty awesome, and smart. They have memories like steel traps, and are hilarious. Your Baby Can Read really works. My older one can read close to 100 words. I routinely point to random words just on signs and labels and stuff, and she knows what they say. When we were shopping one day and looking at toys, I pointed to Goofy and asked who it was (they really don't watch TV all that much, so they don't know many cartoon characters), they got stumped and my older one guessed "Dirty Dutch" (I was watching his Guest Booker DVD the day before).  My wife was worried that someone would think that she was making fun of Dutch people, so we compromised and he's now called "Uncle Zeb" in my household.

The only real problem we've ever had is that they're both very shy. It comes from them only having each other to play with, since none of either of our siblings have any kids yet. My mother in law earned a mention in the FU thread for insisting that my older one must have some sort of disorder because she's so quiet when she's not around either of us. I think the Dutch Mantell story alone puts that theory in the crapper.