DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

Oldest finished Grade Seven with a 3.75 GPA, but apparently the school doesn't acknowledge Honour Roll.  Little disappointed with that.

Youngest finished Grade Four with a 3.33 GPA and has officially graduated from Speech Therapy that she's been taking since Kindergarten. Although to be fair, they said "discharged" and not "graduated," but no mention of whether it was an honorable one.

• Like 6

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, Robert C said:

Wonder how many things I did as a kid would get parents arrested today.  Driving a ski boat by myself at 12, pulling a skier who was also 12 comes to mind.

Knowing what I know now, I am surprised that I have lived so long and my folks are not in prison.

And yeah, Slip & Slides nowadays should come paperwork that gives you Google Store / Apple Store location for an app that allows you to quickly locate the closest dentist.

Man, we used to set up the Slip & Side at my babysitter's going down a hill that ended right at the street, and somehow no one who should have known better had any problem with it.

It's amazing the worst we got away with was some mild road rash.

On 6/24/2017 at 5:48 PM, offspring515 said:

So anyone else with toddlers hate fucking "Ryan Toy's Review More Fuuuun!!!" As much as I do?

Oh GOD, yes!!! 

My 3 year old daughter watches it and tons of other toy reviews and other kids playing with toys on YouTube. Whenever we go to a store she'll always ask the wife and I for a new toy and name the show she watched it from and everything it does. YouTube is now the infomercials for little kids toys.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017 at 3:43 AM, JustJay said:

Oh GOD, yes!!! 

My 3 year old daughter watches it and tons of other toy reviews and other kids playing with toys on YouTube. Whenever we go to a store she'll always ask the wife and I for a new toy and name the show she watched it from and everything it does. YouTube is now the infomercials for little kids toys.

I solved this problem by deleting You Tube  & You tube kids from my daughter's iPad, best decision ever.

• Like 1

This is my weekend with the girls. I always have them Wednesday-Friday, but this weekend is my Saturday with them (their mother always has them Sunday-Tuesday). I also have my own wrestling show tonight (Friday) and I'm booked to work the Armstrong MetalFest tomorrow (Saturday). AMF is NOT for kids, so the girls and I made the decision for them to go back to their mom's this weekend instead of sitting around all night tonight and tomorrow night, as they don't attend shows anymore.

I have done numerous road trips, and missed numerous events because of wrestling. Hell, I missed the 30th Birthday Party my wife planned for me just to work a Battle Royale at a movie theatre (and get treated like shit...which wasn't the initial plan but just a surprise little bonus), but this weekend is the first time I feel like the worst fucking person ever because of it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

This is my weekend with the girls. I always have them Wednesday-Friday, but this weekend is my Saturday with them (their mother always has them Sunday-Tuesday). I also have my own wrestling show tonight (Friday) and I'm booked to work the Armstrong MetalFest tomorrow (Saturday). AMF is NOT for kids, so the girls and I made the decision for them to go back to their mom's this weekend instead of sitting around all night tonight and tomorrow night, as they don't attend shows anymore.

I have done numerous road trips, and missed numerous events because of wrestling. Hell, I missed the 30th Birthday Party my wife planned for me just to work a Battle Royale at a movie theatre (and get treated like shit...which wasn't the initial plan but just a surprise little bonus), but this weekend is the first time I feel like the worst fucking person ever because of it.

Dude, Parent Guilt is so fucking real. My little guy is only 2 months. My wife is still on maternity leave so she's at home with him all day and my mom babysits for us a lot but I still sometimes get a pang of guilt when I go to work or when I'm not around him. I know he's clearly in good hands no matter what but I still get this little twinge in the back of my mind like, "is he wondering where his dad is? Is he ok? What if he wants me?" I know it's irrational and it goes away but there's still like 5 seconds or so where I think about it and feel like shit. I'm not going to lie that i'm nervous about him going to daycare once my wife goes back to work. And we have an awesome provider, she watched my wife's kids and she met my kid and he loves her (as much as an infant can be comfortable around anyone anyway) but there's still that fear in the back of my mind.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Dude, Parent Guilt is so fucking real. My little guy is only 2 months. My wife is still on maternity leave so she's at home with him all day and my mom babysits for us a lot but I still sometimes get a pang of guilt when I go to work or when I'm not around him. I know he's clearly in good hands no matter what but I still get this little twinge in the back of my mind like, "is he wondering where his dad is? Is he ok? What if he wants me?" I know it's irrational and it goes away but there's still like 5 seconds or so where I think about it and feel like shit. I'm not going to lie that i'm nervous about him going to daycare once my wife goes back to work. And we have an awesome provider, she watched my wife's kids and she met my kid and he loves her (as much as an infant can be comfortable around anyone anyway) but there's still that fear in the back of my mind.

Try being divorced...

UPDATE: got dropped on my  head pretty hard tonight on a mistimed double-team hiptoss and thought I broke my neck. Parent Guilt becomes Parent Karma!

I can imagine that's really rough. My wife has two kids from a previous relationship and I can see firsthand how hard it is to shuttle the kids around and all that. Luckily, my wife and her ex are still civil so that makes things easier.

We took our guy for shots last week. Talk about traumatic, for him and me. Never heard him cry like that before.

18 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

The worst is that look you get, the one of complete betrayal that YOU let some monster do this to them.

Jeebus that was the worst! They gave him an oral vaccine which he liked b/c the medicine was sweet. He was all smiley and happy while they were dribbling the medicine in his mouth. Then the first shot. It happened so fast I don't think he knew what was going on. Then he realized, "hey, someone just stuck a sharp object in my leg" and that's when the screaming commenced.

• 4 weeks later...

Got to admit, on a weekend where a lot of our fellows were either seeing Onita or at the SCI and having a good time either way, I took the 5 year old to the county fair for animals and rides and ice cream and then to a local park/playground yesterday where she rode on my shoulders as we got navigated through the woods. Cartoons were watched (as well as way more of Gene Kelly day on TCM than said 5 year old wanted, though she liked The Pirate fine but kept bitching that they weren't yet Singing in the Rain). Zelda was played. The library was patronized. So yeah, I think I'm good.

• Like 2

So...Mrs red and I both work - and as C has officially "graduated"* from nursery, she has also officially left nursery. Which means six weeks of us leaning on people to look after her while we work. So far, so good. My family have been incredible in looking after her. Even, to my surprise, my old man.

It's his first turn today. He's 62, recently retired, 11 handicap golfer and professional alcohol drinker. AND he hasn't looked after a dependant since my sister and I left the family house back in 2004. And even then we were mid 20's.

So at 0745 he rocked up, looking slightly nervous.

C can be a handful; she's a 4 year old girl. For those who have never had the pleasure of entertaining a 4 year old girls, they CAN and WILL change their mind about anything at the drop of a hat. They can and will take the sturdies at anything. But also she's a four year old who has discovered sport. Swimming, gym, cricket (loved watching the women's world cup, ecstatic that england won) and, surprisingly, golf.

So, imagine her surprise when daddy brought out a 7 iron and putter (in hot pink, no less) which were suitable for a 4 year old to wield. Imagine pop's surprise when he didnt know they were going to the driving range.

I think they're going to be alright. He'll be knackered by 5pm and probably asleep in front of the ryder cup replays. She'll be terrorising his girlfriend. And I'll be the cool dad. Win win win.

*now knows which end of the sandpit not to piss in.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, Marty Sugar said:

Try being divorced...

UPDATE: got dropped on my  head pretty hard tonight on a mistimed double-team hiptoss and thought I broke my neck. Parent Guilt becomes Parent Karma!

Being divorced sucks. 

I don't really miss being my ex-wife's husband but I do angst over the ongoing effect of current events on my daughter.  She does not have the same normal that other kids have and sometimes it really bothers me. 

It bothers me that my kid maintains a stiff upper lip and remains relatively unflappable.  I salute her resilience, but sometimes I wish she'd scream at the sky or something to let me know that she is expressing her feelings is at least releasing any tension.

Or maybe I am completely wrong and she's so accustomed to her new normal that it doesn't bother her as much as I think it does or that I think it should?  The only thing I can really do is continue to be her dad and encourage her to talk to me if something is up.

Been a while since I checked into this thread.  I hope you are doing better in both body and spirit, Marty.

On 8/10/2017 at 8:00 AM, J.T. said:

Been a while since I checked into this thread.  I hope you are doing better in both body and spirit, Marty.

Followed up the sore neck by injuring my rotator cuff last weekend working 7 shows in 3 days at the Abbotsford Agrifair. Spent the last six days in a drugged-out stupor, but finally getting some movement back in my arm.

For those that think Canada's free health care is a marvel, I am on a waiting list for an MRI to even see if the rotator cuff is torn...and that could take 4-8 weeks because a guy with his arm hanging useless at his side isn't considered an "emergency" situtation. Or I could pay a month's rent to do it privately.

Back on topic: my one issue with being divorced is that the ex seems to purposefully sabotage my parenting. The girls are not required to do chores at mom's house, and grumble about doing chores at my house even though I pay them to do so. When my oldest (who is only 13), asked her mom to also pay her for chores, her mom said "go get a real job." I swear she's just fucking with me.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2 year old son starts soccer tomorrow.  Should be fun to watch.  I figure he'll be mainly running around screaming, and maybe making an occasional attempt to kick a ball or something.  He won't know most of the kids he's with.  They're all the same age, but he'll be twice the size of anybody else, so hopefully he doesn't bowl too many of them over.

We're starting music class again after taking the summer off too.  He'll get his original teacher back, which is great news.  She has a daughter that is two weeks  older than my son, and has had to be out since last fall while her daughter underwent treatment for Leukemia.  Really happy to see Fiona is well enough for her mom to come back to work.

Week One of my daughter's Freshaman year of High School is a wrap.  She's settling in nicely, has made some new friends, likes her classes and teachers, and there is no talk of boys that I may have to kill..

So far, so good.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Week One of my daughter's Freshaman year of High School is a wrap.  She's settling in nicely, has made some new friends, likes her classes and teachers, and there is no talk of boys that I may have to kill..

So far, so good.

It gets worse.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, cwoy2j said:

Luckily, my wife and her ex are still civil so that makes things easier.

The best thing you can do is be civil.  I am on good enough terms with my ex that there is no friction between us so long as child support comes in regularly, but it is kinda awkward now that she has remarried and I have a steady domestic partner.

It is sad that my kid had to grow up in such a screwed up state of affairs, but at least she remains unflappable when it comes to handling her abnormal normal.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, Marty Sugar said:

Back on topic: my one issue with being divorced is that the ex seems to purposefully sabotage my parenting. The girls are not required to do chores at mom's house, and grumble about doing chores at my house even though I pay them to do so. When my oldest (who is only 13), asked her mom to also pay her for chores, her mom said "go get a real job." I swear she's just fucking with me.

Yeah, me and the ex have an understanding that we're not to undermine the other's authority.

The illusion of divorce is that once you sign the papers. there is closure.  That is not true at all if there is a kid in the mix.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, me and the ex have an understanding that we're not to undermine the other's authority.

The illusion of divorce is that once you sign the papers. there is closure.  That is not true at all if there is a kid in the mix.

There will never be closure with kids, as long as both parents are still around. I'm always at child-centered events where the ex is at, and I got out of my way to be civil. Depending on how drunk her new guy is, will depend if there's a problem or not: the little bugger can't decided to hug me or fight me when he's liquored up at a school performance.

So, the inevitable first day of school post.

First days nerves?

^clickable....first days nerves? NOT A FUCKING BIT OF IT.

And to ease the parents into the first day without tears or issues, the teachers had this playing while we entered with the kids.

Yeah, this place is gonna be alright for the family.

• Like 1