DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

I second "when in doubt, reboot" even when you're dealing with LINUX.  Whomever said that RHEL can be configured on the fly and powered on has never fucking used RHEL.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I second "when in doubt, reboot" even when you're dealing with LINUX.  Whomever said that RHEL can be configured on the fly and powered on has never fucking used RHEL.

On the flip side, we had a RHEL server that always broke and needed rebuilding on the off chance we needed to reboot it.  That was horrible.

Oof.  I do not miss the nights of not sleeping.  Fortunately mine sleeps through the night most of the time now (he's six).  I remember it well enough to feel your pain J.H.  For the longest time my son wouldn't to back to sleep at night unless I walked around the house carrying him.  Bouncers, swings, rocking him - none of that stuff worked.  Walking the laps in the house for hours at a time was not fun.

15 hours ago, J.H. said:

We lost all of Sandy's previous downloaded data but we can re-download all the episodes of Blippi and Ryan's World she had on there before (I also put Dino Dana, a charming Canadian show about a girl that is gonzo for dinosaurs).

My son went through a Dino Dana (and Dino Dan/Trek's Adventures) obsession last year.  They're definitely better than most kids shows.  The contrast between that and Disney, where every damn kid on every damn show is an aspiring actor/singer is nice.

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Reboot!  99% of the time, it works every time.  My second rule of IT, brother.  Right behind "wait a little bit and see if it sorts itself out," because that shit worked for me like 2-3 times just last week, too.  I think the 3rd rule is "always escalate the call because the first person you're talking to is reading a script and has no idea how to help you."  Which also applies.  ?

I'm rather fond of the bigger hammer theory.  I once watched an IT guy use it on the hard drive of the Sparc in my cubicle when I was an intern at Motorola a million years ago.  Worked like a charm.  Shoved it back in the machine and never had another problem with it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One real challenge, especially during the pandemic, is balancing the needs, interests, and activities of the 3 year old and the (recently turned) 9 year old, both daughters. It means some of the things I'd do for the 9 year old if the 3 year old wasn't there and some I'd do for the 3 year old if the 9 year old wasn't there go by the wayside. For instance, the bedtime reading has shifted from the 9 year old (on the verge of YA stuff as she can tackle just about up to that on her own) to the 3 year old. And even when I was doing it at the end, the page counts per night were going down because it's hard to keep the 3 year old amused during that.

BUT I did press forward over the last week and we're now halfway through The Princess Bride. I'm good parts version-ing it, mainly sticking to the main narrative with a few asides and explanations. It was bumpy to start ("Ew kissing" was a thing) and amazingly there was another break in during the sharks bit but not because she thought Buttercup would be eaten but because she just couldn't believe Vizzini was cutting himself to get blood in the water, but it worked out pretty well. We just got to the fall down the ravine and "As you wish," and I'm making the call to give her the movie now.

There's a lot of benefit in reading/hearing the book first because it's easier to hide to someone that age that the Man In Black is Westley and you get the additional backstory to a bunch of things, but I think I'd rather her experience the back half more viscerally first and then double back to the book, especially because the ending of the book is so much bleaker than that of the movie and I feel like you can go from movie to book but not from book to movie in that regard. 

So we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Rules of Tickle-Tickle For Sandra Violet
1. Either participant may begin the encounter by simply going up to the other and say "Tickle-Tickle!"
2. Legal "Tickle Zones" are stomch, Nape of Neck, Cheeks of face and underarms. There is NO TICKLING BELOW THE WAIST!
3. A Tickle may only be countered by use of the Iron Claw. Once the claw is applied the recipient must remain in a stupor for 15 seconds. No tickling is permitted during use of the claw. The claw MUST remain applied for the full 15 second duration or else tickling may resume
4. The Winner of Tickle-Tickle is declared when one either disengages from tickling or taps out. THERE IS NO PINFALL IN TICKLE-TICKLE!!

James

My nine year old daughter plays flag football. Her and I are outside practicing, and it looks like she's a natural defender. When we're playing straight up catch, it took her a good twenty minutes to catch the ball five times with me throwing it right to her. When I'm intentionally trying to throw it behind her, she's right there to pick it off, one of which was a one-handed deal, like she thinks she's OBJ. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So I'm coaching my son's baseball team again.  He's still six, but moved up to 8u/coach pitch for the fall.  To say we're bad is putting it much too mildly.  We don't have a single kid who has played coach pitch before.  About 1/3 of the kids have never even played t-ball before this and only 3-4 of the kids that have played before show any signs they'll eventually figure it out.  I have to remind them constantly not to stand on the plate to hit, and to run if they somehow hit the ball.  One tried to hit while facing away from the other pitcher, then jumped straight up in the air when the ball came after we got him turned round correctly.  One of the three seven year olds runs away from the ball screaming if it comes his direction when he's in the field.  

We had our first game Saturday.  Lost 20-1, and it was only that close because we played four innings, and they limit the game to five runs per inning.  We didn't record an out in the field.  And we actually exceeded my expectations, because two kids who had never hit a single ball in practice actually put the ball in play.  And of course we were playing a team where four kids were wearing their 8u all-star caps from the spring season.  

My main job is to keep these kids from getting discouraged and quitting.  The league is doing em a disservice by having the teams this unbalanced in talent and experience.  And my assistant coach is one of these gung ho idiots who is fine with running kids off the team because "there's 25 kids on the waiting list."  I figure if I can get em through the year without losing interest either from getting their heads beat in repeatedly or from dealing with fools like that I'll have done my job.

• Like 2

Fun Fact: The Lois Lane apartment scenes from Superman The Movie were filmed on the penthouse terrace of the building I grew up in (One Gracie Terrace). I was actually in the penthouse the night they shot scenes of Margot Kidder standing on the terrace and got to meet her (I was all of 6 at the time but when you're six and you're parents ask you if you want to see them make a Supeman movie upstairs, then you go watch them shoot a Superman movie upstairs).  

So tonight Sandra Violet and I are laying on the sofa watching various and sundry videos on the YouTubes and she insists on a music video of Superman using movie footage over John Williams Superman march. At one point they have that overhead shot of the building with Lois Lane standing there and I whisper in Sandy's ear "Your Daddy grew up in that building". Her eyes got wide and she looked at me "Daddy grew up in building?". I nodded and smiled as she pondered for a moment before looking at me and asking "Daddy, you Superman?"

I got a good laugh from that. 3 minutes later though, she was out cold.

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

The current problem at Maison De La Canard Noir happens to be monsters. Sandra Violet is scared after dark that there are monsters lurking behind every corner. I, as Daddy, have to reassure her that our abode is a Monster Free Zone. This has led to me turning lights on to keep monsters at bay and to loudly let monsters know they are not welcome in our home because I am Daddy and my daughter's security is priority #1 here!

So when I told Sandra I would beat up any monsters that threatened her she replied in her tiny voice "No Daddy, just scare the monsters. No hurt the monsters". Her compassion for the things that make her scared tells me I've been doing a better job as a parent than I may have thought. So the monsters of Maison De La Canard Noir get a few warnings a night, as though young Sandra Violet is scared of them, she is not a child with any malice towards them. She would just rather they wouldn't...

James
Edited by J.H.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter shows me a listing on Amazon for a halloween costume based off Squid Game. I tell her hell no, because that's not appropriate. Her argument is "The Principal said it's OK" My reply: "OK, next time that you have school, go find the principal and ask her if she'll adopt you."

• Like 2

There I was last night, lying on the sofa minding my own business when suddenly Sandra Violet jumps of the armrest and lannds on me with a frickin Superfly Splash. I'm lying there gasping for air and I hear a tiny voice  count out "ONE! TWO! TWEEE!!! I WIN!"

Thus did begin Sandra Violet's 312th reign as Harris Family World Champion (formerly the Baby Wrestling world Championship)

James

• Like 5

We had a small gathering in our neighborhood this past weekend.  Every time I turned around, my four-year-old had one of the older boys (8-10 range) on the ground and was not letting them up.  He told me today that he was giving them "big splashes".  

• Like 1

My daughter's dedication to flag football apparenly knows no bounds. Yesterday morning, neither of my kids nor my wife felt very good. She tells the girls that they can stay  home, and that she'll text the coach and tell him that she won't be able to practice. My kid's reply "You know mom, I don't feel horrible. I think I'll go to school and see if I feel better later."

• 4 weeks later...

Finished up our fall baseball season.  Unsurprisingly, we finished 0-10.  The kids did get better, though 3 of the 12 never hit a ball all year.  Low point was the game where we played five innings and only hit two balls.  My son grounded out for one of them, then the kid who knew the least of all of them going in (first time he tried to hit, he faced directly away from the pitcher) not only hit a ball, but actually got a base hit.  I don't know which of us had a bigger shit eating grin when he got down to first.  The last game of the year we were actually tied as late as the third inning, which was a huge improvement from where we'd been.  

• Like 4

On 11/21/2021 at 2:00 PM, Octopus said:

I AM DAD

Your first?  Congrats!!!  I need to tell you it's equal parts joyfully rewarding and frustrating as fuck.  The toughest job you'll ever love, I guess. 

My six year old is currently in a place where she's able to do plenty of things but wants us to do it all for her.  Also, I'm convinced she's acting the fool just to troll me.  A lot.  But I still love her to bits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter turned 19 on the 12th and she finishes her first semester of college at JMU on Friday.  I am old.   I have been contributing to this thread for close to a decade. 

We're going to see Spider-Man:  No Way Home on Sunday.  Happy to report that some things have remained the same.

Hope all of you dads are doing well this holiday season and thanks for sticking by me all this time.  Sharing in your parenting wins and laughing at all of your trials has helped me more than you realize.  You dudes are awesome!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

I felt the need to watch Psycho last weekend, after I'd finished reading the book. My ten year old asks if she can watch with me, and I tell her sure. She made a few . . .  interesting observatations as we were watching it. After the first scene in the parlor with Marion and Norman: "Dad, that guy seems pretty sus"  She didn't catch on that we were supposed to think that it was Mrs. Bates, she thought it was just some creeper at the motel a la Friday the 13th.  We get to the end and she says to me "Dad, I have so many questions about this." I just replied "That's why it's called suspense!"

• Like 2

Sandra Violet turns 4 on Thursday June 2nd

How the hll have I managed to keep this child alive and happy for four years I'll never undersand but she is a happy child, though has her tendencies to throwing tnatrus and diva like behaviour (she looked at me square in the eye 6 months ago and replied" Bye Felicia!" when she didn't get something she wanted). The Birthday gifts have already started arriving (including a 2ft tall plushie of Mr. Krabs, which she will lose her mind over). Her first present was opened, a 3 pak of Whoopie Cushions...

Sweet Fancy Moses! What have I done?

James

• Like 4

On 5/28/2022 at 12:52 PM, J.H. said:

Sandra Violet turns 4 on Thursday June 2nd

How the hll have I managed to keep this child alive and happy for four years I'll never undersand but she is a happy child, though has her tendencies to throwing tnatrus and diva like behaviour (she looked at me square in the eye 6 months ago and replied" Bye Felicia!" when she didn't get something she wanted). The Birthday gifts have already started arriving (including a 2ft tall plushie of Mr. Krabs, which she will lose her mind over). Her first present was opened, a 3 pak of Whoopie Cushions...

Sweet Fancy Moses! What have I done?

James

Enjoy these golden years, brother.  You're a hop, skip, and a jump away from "WE'RE TRYING TO GET OUT THE DOOR WHY DOES IT TAKE YOU 15 MINUTES TO PEE AND BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!!????"  ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Enjoy these golden years, brother.  You're a hop, skip, and a jump away from "WE'RE TRYING TO GET OUT THE DOOR WHY DOES IT TAKE YOU 15 MINUTES TO PEE AND BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!!????"  ?

My favorite is when they suddenly discover a bathroom emergency that has to be dealt with NOW.  Of course they couldn't possibly have gone any of the nine times you asked them to go before you left the house.  

• Like 1