DVDVR Message Board

IT'S WEDNESDAY, YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS - Dynamite - 12/30/2020

Dolfan in NYC

53 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Sounds like AEW did a fantastic job commemorating Brodie Lee. I hope his wife and kids are well taken care of. Makes me think back to how low I felt after Eddie died.

Apparently Brodie Jr has an honorary contract with AEW, so I assume they'll at least be taken care of, and if Brodie Jr. wants to get into the business, he'll have every opportunity if he wishes it.

• Like 6

Not too much to add. Was damn near a perfect show. I'm amused that Jericho said like 4 WWE trademarked names on the night (Harper, Rowan, Big Red, Bludgeon Brothers) cuz that's where he met Brodie and Rowan and you always remember the first name you meet a guy under even if that gimmick's gone later.

• Like 2

Yeah, that was just lovely. Thought it was handled with great love and respect. Watched it at 7am Irish time and it got pretty dusty here, silver and Bryce in particular got me. Loved how much they included Brodie Jr but in a way that he seemed totally comfortable with. My heart goes out to his family, truly hope they are well looked after. 

• Like 4

It sounds like the Brodie Lee tribute show was very well received across the board by AEW fans, people who worked with Mr. Huber over the years, and Brodie’s family. So to that aim, it comes across as a big success. We can argue about stupid shit later.

• Like 3

What a great show!  The bending of kayfabe was tremendous:  allowing Dark Order to work as tweens while still referring to Huber and his son by the Brodie Lee shoot name most of the time, even though Jericho reeled off all of Huber's WWE trademarked gimmicks later on.  That was a particularly nice touch as were all of the other little things like Archer coming out in Luke Harper ring attire and other workers hitting Huber's signature moves.

All of the matches were great but my jaw dropped when Private Party hit that Rana assisted Ace Crusher spot and when John Silver hit that amazing Destroyer!  Holy fuck..  Everyone on that show busted their asses for Huber's memory.  It was bittersweet.

I also marked when Rowan came out.  Excellent card with courageous booking.  A wonderful tribute to a good man, a dedicated father, and an all around exceptional human being.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

I became familiar with Brodie Lee during the pre-inagural DON show following his request to be released from his WWE contract.  I have a big soft spot for performers completely mishandled by WWE, and was stoked to see what would become of this agile and fierce looking big man.  I loved Brodie from the moment he stepped onto the AEW stage.  I loved his early swipes at VKM and his early squashes, and terrific promos, and loved seeing him figure it all out and find his confidence.  The Cody squash and aftermath was amongst the highlights of this past wrestling year.  Everything he did was so crisp.  You could tell he had a passion for this profession.  His interactions with John Silver seemed to me to be leading to the most exciting big man vs. little man match we'll unfortunately never see.  Tonight was such a touching and compassionate show of respect.  There was nothing cheap or showy about it.  Seeing Anna Jay and Colt and all these guys with red eyes was hard to watch without sheding a few tears of my own.  AEW has a lot of goodwill going forth.  They've shown their company to be a family and it feels good knowing these guys risking their bodies and working beat up have one another's backs and think of each other as family.    

p.s. incredible to hear Tom Waits' Ol 55 in celebration of my favorite wrestler in the year 2020: Brodie Lee.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

I have nothing to add that hasn’t already been said.

Lovely show. I’m sure Brodie was smiling down on everyone last night. I love Tom Waits, so hearing one of my favorite “I have to go cry now” songs and finding out Tony got the rights to it forever also turned on the waterworks.

• Like 4

Incredible tribute show, great to see such a decent human being honored so well. Not much else to say, he was a great wrestler taken far too soon. I had to skip the final video last night, after a whole day of reading Brodie stories and everything else in the episode it was a little too much for me. 

• Like 3

This thread has been so wonderful to read this morning on my commute.  Great to hear so many touched by the work of this generous giant.  I like to think the AEW locker room and the entire fan base have learned something about what it is to be a good person.  And how it sometimes quietly effects everyone.

Thank you Jon Huber.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Incredible tribute show, great to see such a decent human being honored so well. Not much else to say, he was a great wrestler taken far too soon. I had to skip the final video last night, after a whole day of reading Brodie stories and everything else in the episode it was a little too much for me. 

I can definitely see that though if you're up for seeing it at some point they have it on their Youtube page.  Or On Demand assuming that's an option.  It was pretty well done stuff though.

As for the matches themselves I hate that it was under these circumstances but they were all pretty fun.  Seeing Dark Order have almost surprisingly great chemistry with others was neat to see and had me fantasy booking at parts before I toned that down.  I would say that at this point though if Colt's best off officially joining the group.  It was fine when he was unsure about it at first but since they're essentially going to be a face group now it's best to just do it.  And FWIW MJF and PnP tagging was a good first step from that backstage segment last week.  So it's not a total "throwaway" episode but as long as it's done with respect for what happened then building off of these wouldn't be a bad idea.

EDIT:  I was going to talk more about Brodie but @TheVileOnenailed it a page or two ago about how awesome the wrestling community can be at times.  I'm just glad to see WWE wrestlers being about to freely talk about Brodie and the episode if only for this week.  Also was nice seeing their pictures in the tribute video which I assumed they sent to somebody at AEW to use.

• Like 4

Very tired and it was so worth doing for one of my favourites. A fantastic and incredibly moving tribute to a great wrestler and a great man. Thank you to AEW/The Huber Family. Been a wrestling fan for 30 years, starting at age 5 and I'll never forget this Brodie Lee Celebration of Life on AEW Dynamite.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

Just finished the show and that finish when Page and Reynolds left the ring to let Silver have the moment and then him completely breaking down  right after had me crying my eyes out. I don’t remember getting this emotional over something wrestling related maybe ever.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I can definitely see that though if you're up for seeing it at some point they have it on their Youtube page.  Or On Demand assuming that's an option.  It was pretty well done stuff though.

I watched it this morning before the rest of the house was up, nothing like getting all worked up at dawn to start the day.

• Like 1