DVDVR Message Board

It's Monday, You Know What That Means - Raw - 12/28/2020

Dolfan in NYC

That would be really cool if from now on the discus clothesline is immortalized as the Harper clothesline. 

And who else wished that Randy would just set him and Alexa both on fire so we wouldn't have to see anymore of this dumbass storyline again....?? ?

• Like 3

Arsonist Randy rears his head again the week before "Legends Night". What are the chances we get a Kane/Orton segment next week that is the drizzling shits?

Ali/Ricochet was a great match. As dumb as this faction is, I wouldn't be bothered to keep the feud going just so we get a longer payoff match between the two.

I don't have a problem with them trying a cliffhanger. Regular TV shows do it all the time. But don't have Charly and R-Truth being ho-hum about it on RAW Talk. A co-worker was potentially set on fire 25 feet from where they sat. They couldn't be even half-inclined to care. It totally devalues the moment.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Arsonist Randy rears his head again the week before "Legends Night". What are the chances we get a Kane/Orton segment next week that is the drizzling shits?

I heard a rundown of all the legends for next week and Kane wasnt on that list. 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I don't have a problem with them trying a cliffhanger. Regular TV shows do it all the time. But don't have Charly and R-Truth being ho-hum about it on RAW Talk. A co-worker was potentially set on fire 25 feet from where they sat. They couldn't be even half-inclined to care. It totally devalues the moment.

To be fair, I'm sure working for the WWE will desensitize even the best of people.

I'll have to watch what was on my dvr. I usually gage how RAW or a given show is doing by twitter chatter in my feed. It was very scarce about RAW tonight so I'm taking it wasn't good just from that. 

Shayna/Dana was decent enough while it lasted. Felt more like the Shayna we had in the first half of her NXT run where she was vicious and cunning.

Charlotte/Nia was decent as well. The two don't have great chemistry, but it felt like things flowed better by the second half.

Lee/Sheamus seemed alright from what i caught of it. Would be more excited for Lee/Drew if Lee was actually winning. Would love to see it happen and him join the Hurt Business afterward.

I hate Retribution so much, but my interest in a Ricochet/Ali match won out and I bothered to watch. Good stuff as expected. I only wish Ali was leading a group I could give a damn about.

The little tributes to Lee were nice.

I continue to be befuddled as who thinks this Orton/Fiend/Alexa story is a good idea. Are they actually pulling in ratings? It makes absolutely no sense otherwise. Like even shitty Rusev/Lana/Lashley angle actually pulled in good numbers somewhere (youutbe I think?).

Overall, it was OK. Nothing great, nothing too questionable besides the Orton-Alexa stuff.

But RAW is on autopilot. They're slow-burning Asuka vs Charlotte. The matches will be great. But we've seen them wrestle a lot already. Having both women's titles in the same feud takes away time for other talent to be on TV. Drew vs Lee next week will be good, as will Drew vs Sheamus. But there's no spark. Putting MITB back on Miz is redundant. They aren't moving the Ricochet-Retribution angle forward, though Ricochet's matches with Ali are fantastic. Lashley has been the most protected person on RAW for weeks. But he rarely defends the US title and he'll likely drop to it to Riddle, who is being met with indifference. The big story is how will Bray return, and that may be an all-time train wreck.  Brock or Braun returning won't move the needle.

Compare that to Smackdown, where nearly everything moves forward in some measure and they try to create new stories for more of its roster (Otis/Gable, for example).

It's a lackluster show. Bad can be entertaining in the right context. More than anything, though, RAW feels dull.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What are the current writing teams?  Why is Smackdown so much better than RAW?  Is it luck?  I mean Vince is involved in both but one show has been awful for a very long time and one has been consistently ok to good..   

Pretty sure Bryan is part of Smackdown's creative team. Vince probably still pays less attention to Smackdown than he does Raw. And stuff like Roman's current story almost certainly has heavy input from Roman and Heyman themselves. You can still see weaker points in some of the women's booking and the tag division. Its just that the stronger stuff carries much of the show, and Smackdown runs at 2 hours instead of 3. 

• Like 3

I flicked through some of it, watched Ali vs Ricochet.

Obviously the Orton/Bliss/Fiend angle is the worst of it....but it's more general.....at the danger of sounding like Jim Cornette....this isn't quite wrestling to me. It just feels off, not right...it's a subjective thing to a point I guess, but I don't seem to be the only one who feels this way.

I sort of got why they didn't do the 10 bell because it sets a precedent and then WWE worry about not doing a tribute for somebody. It's a tightrope. And clearly the wrestlers did their tributes; I sort of expect the spinning lariat to be the new superkick moving forward.

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Pretty sure Bryan is part of Smackdown's creative team. Vince probably still pays less attention to Smackdown than he does Raw. And stuff like Roman's current story almost certainly has heavy input from Roman and Heyman themselves. You can still see weaker points in some of the women's booking and the tag division. Its just that the stronger stuff carries much of the show, and Smackdown runs at 2 hours instead of 3. 

This. I'd also add better wrestlers on Smackdown Live to RAW. Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns, Sasha Banks, Bayley, Rey Mysterio, Cesaro, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens and Bianca Belair.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2