DVDVR Message Board

RIP Brodie Lee/Luke Harper

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Just mix up the verbiage... I honestly don't think that's too big an ask. Try "We at WWE are..." instead of "WWE is..." and dial back on the corpspeak. 

Fair enough point, Pete.

For anyone this might matter to, PWTorch took down the garbage article Bruce Mitchell wrote speculating on Brodie Lee's death and essentially accusing his widow and AEW of covering up Lee allegedly having COVID-19. Even though his wife said it was a non-COVID-19 related illness.

Look, this year has been humbling and really rough. I get that there are a lot of emotions and tensions running high all over the place. I get that there are a lot of strong feelings around COVID-19. I also believe there's a valid debate if wrestling and pro sports should even be going on right now during the pandemic, even if that means a lot of people potentially losing their jobs.

However, there was no journalism done in Bruce Mitchell's article. It was a badly written word salad that basically accuses Brodie Lee's widow of lying. And yes, people are going to ask questions and want to know what happened to Brodie Lee. But his wife said was a lung disease. Meltzer reported on the timeline of what happened. If those answers aren't enough and you think there is a story there, you are the reporter. Chase the story. Don't speculate and say, "Well, I'm not a doctor but it seems strange he could just suddenly die at such a young age." Sorry, but that's not journalism.

Secondly, I lost a lot of respect for Jon Alba over this, especially his reaction after people called him out on this and playing the victim. Jonathan Snowden's behavior for things like this have become the norm and are not surprising, while still execrable. However, Jon Alba defending the article and calling it thought-provoking and then being defensive over that is poor. Snowden saying he said nothing about Lee's death other than it being a tragedy when he applauded Mitchell's column and called it "brave" is asinine. 

Regardless, the good news is the article was taken down, although the damage is already done.

EqXjipCU8AAmDrP?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 5

Just now, The Natural said:

I've never heard of Jon Alba before till now. The other names I know. The non apology I think has made things worse. Say sorry and you fucked up.

I don't think we are getting that anytime soon. To have his boss remove the article and take this route, especially when the article was riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, is...yeesh...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't think we are getting that anytime soon. To have his boss remove the article and take this route, especially when the article was riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, is...yeesh...

I don't either. Fuck 'em especially Bruce Mitchell.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was going to comment on Mitchell but you know what let's not ruin this thread with that. One thing about the Luke Harper run that I'm fondly remembering now is leading up to WrestleMania that one year where he was actually in the title picture for a brief moment. 

I believe I said at the time that I'd love for him to get the Mania match.  Unfortunately that did not happen but he was SUPER over during this time.  I don't think I'm exaggerating that either. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was going to comment on Mitchell but you know what let's not ruin this thread with that. One thing about the Luke Harper run that I'm fondly remembering now is leading up to WrestleMania that one year where he was actually in the title picture for a brief moment. 

I believe I said at the time that I'd love for him to get the Mania match.  Unfortunately that did not happen but he was SUPER over during this time.  I don't think I'm exaggerating that either. 

Not sure he would've been main event-ready, but I really think he could've been a big star in WWE had they let him talk a little bit more and develop his character a little bit more. He clearly had all the tools. 

As heartbreaking as all this is, I'm happy he got to have a bit of a singles run this year. 

I thought it was pretty cool when he beat Ziggler for the Intercontinental title. It seemed like since the Wyatt Family had gone their separate ways at the time that he was moving up the card. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was so hoping that was the WrestleMania XXXIII match as the Wyatt Family go against one another: Bray Wyatt vs. Luke Harper vs. Randy Orton for Wyatt's WWE Championship. It should've been dammit. Instead we got one of the worst matches in WrestleMania history.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I was so hoping that was the WrestleMania XXXIII match as the Wyatt Family go against one another: Bray Wyatt vs. Luke Harper vs. Randy Orton for Wyatt's WWE Championship. It should've been dammit. Instead we got one of the worst matches in WrestleMania history.

Thinking on, Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton at WrestleMania XXXIII is one of the worst wrestling matches ever. That bad. Also I was watching this in the early hours UK time, about 2:30am.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Dave Meltzer:

The wrestling world continues to mourn the death of Jon Huber with talent from all over the world giving their thoughts. Both those publicly and many privately have continued to talk about what a great person he was to be around, his generosity, and above all, his love for his family and love for wrestling as well. I only wish that Jon could have been here to see this reaction because it is so amazing and I hope his kids can have a scrapbook and see just how respected and liked he was within the profession.  

Tony Khan rewrote Wednesday's Dynamite show late last night and spent today going over it with all the key people. The entire show will be about Brodie Lee and be a tribute to him, and the show is basically being done for his family. The planned show with Kenny Omega vs. Rey Fenix for the AEW title has been moved to 1/6 and the matches planned for 1/6 have been moved to 1/13. The show legitimately is being done especially for Amanda (Jon Huber's wife) and sons Brodie and Nolan.  

Three of Little Brodie's favorite wrestlers are Cody Rhodes, Orange Cassidy and 10, so for him, they are going to team up one night only to face Ricky Starks & Powerhouse Hobbs & Brian Cage. The idea is to do multiple tributes for Jon Huber on the show and every match featuring someone from the Dark Order. Young Bucks & Colt Cabana face Matt Hardy & Private Party.  Adam Page & John Silver & Alex Reynolds face MJF & Santana & Ortiz. Anna Jay & Tay Conti face Britt Baker & Penelope Ford and Lance Archer & Evil Uno & Stu Grayson face Eddie Kingston & The Butcher & The Blade.

Khan noted this has been a trying time for so many people and he's had very little sleep since Christmas but thanked fans and everyone in the industry for their outpouring of messages on Huber.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

I'm legit picking up a pack of Kleenex because I know both of us are going to be needing a fair amount of those.  I knew it was gonna be a tribute show but reading Meltzer's bit about it I just know it's gonna be hard to have a dry eye for a lot of the show.  Hopefully the matches themselves are entertaining enough for a slight reprieve.

And I had to think about the last time a wrestler's death affected me this way.  Eddie's of course comes to mind but this is actually making me think back to Owen's death.  The internet was not what it is today but there was such great sorrow that was felt in both big companies.  And I think the comparison for me is easy to make considering how much Brodie and Owen were both known to be devoted family men (not saying others weren't but that's what they talked about a lot for both)

• Like 3