DVDVR Message Board

RIP Brodie Lee/Luke Harper

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Not trying to be "Wrestling Twitter." But show me the lie.

I get why it looks bad.

I work in PR and have also worked a little in Investor Relations. The WWE is a publicly traded corporation and anything they put out on social media is going to be parsed and scrutinized by all sorts of investors, potential investors, people looking to short their stock and any number of lawyers looking for the slightest reason to file a shareholder’s suit against the company.

They have to be as buttoned-up as possible on those sorts of announcements. It is cold but that is the nature of corporate America. You have to make this announcement but have to be as flat as possible in doing so to avoid anything that can hurt company’s finances. Every company in America that is publicly traded has to do the same kind of thing if it involves talent passing being discussed in an official statement.

The actual people who knew Brodie are all posting completely heartfelt messages. I also saw the WWE’s YouTube page whipped up a playlist tribute for him really quickly. I think that more than anything else is more important and I expect they will have a tribute of sorts tonight even though he left the company for AEW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think looking at those WWE tweets still pales in comparison to the actions of PWTorch, Bruce Mitchell, and some other reporters on Twitter. If a company did something wrong and is covering something up related to a wrestler's death, then by all means expose it. Except no journalism was done. There's no evidence. No proof. Just mere speculation and blaming a grieving widow for not sharing private medical information about her late husband.

Yes, a public figure dying at this age is of interest to the public. But we were also told it was a non-COVID related lung disease. If you don't believe that's what it is and you believe it was COVID then actually dig up some legitimate information and report it as such, but that's not what happened here. What happened here was not journalism. And the fact that other reporters called it "thought-provoking" and "brave" is highly disappointing.

If we shouldn't talk about this here, I understand, but I'm very steamed this happened and the complete lack of awareness from the people who put this out there and then tried to defend it and double down.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Not trying to be "Wrestling Twitter." But show me the lie.

So while Greggulator responded about the Twitter side of things I've learned some time ago to not pay attention to their stock message on Twitter.  Normally if they link to the website that goes into more detail and in the case of Brodie has a playlist with some moments from him.  It's not as much as the tributes from everybody else but still works for me.  https://www.wwe.com/article/jon-huber-luke-harper-passes-away

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I get why it looks bad.

I work in PR and have also worked a little in Investor Relations. The WWE is a publicly traded corporation and anything they put out on social media is going to be parsed and scrutinized by all sorts of investors, potential investors, people looking to short their stock and any number of lawyers looking for the slightest reason to file a shareholder’s suit against the company.

They have to be as buttoned-up as possible on those sorts of announcements. It is cold but that is the nature of corporate America. You have to make this announcement but have to be as flat as possible in doing so to avoid anything that can hurt company’s finances. Every company in America that is publicly traded has to do the same kind of thing if it involves talent passing being discussed in an official statement.

The actual people who knew Brodie are all posting completely heartfelt messages. I also saw the WWE’s YouTube page whipped up a playlist tribute for him really quickly. I think that more than anything else is more important and I expect they will have a tribute of sorts tonight even though he left the company for AEW.

+
They've basically RT'd almost every tribute Tweet from everyone on their roster across their different accounts.

I get how WWE statements on wrestler's passings can look a little a little overly corporate and cold, but from a company standpoint, I'm not sure what else they can really do?

I think a bigger part of the problem is how prevalent social media has become in our lives at this point and how addicted to it we are. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Great article well worth reading but I wanted to point out the line that Moxley said at the end.

“I’m grateful I got to spend so much time with him, from the time we first met on the indies,” says Moxley. “I’ll always picture him with that smile on his face. I still can’t wrap my brain around this. I don’t understand why the best people are the ones taken away so early.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I get how WWE statements on wrestler's passings can look a little a little overly corporate and cold, but from a company standpoint, I'm not sure what else they can really do?

For a segment of people, there's probably nothing the company could do to appease them. If there is a ten bell salute at the beginning of the show for him, there are likely those upset it wasn't enough. 

I mean, if Vince had told people not to tweet anything about him, that's one thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I think a bigger part of the problem is how prevalent social media has become in our lives at this point and how addicted to it we are. 

Just mix up the verbiage... I honestly don't think that's too big an ask. Try "We at WWE are..." instead of "WWE is..." and dial back on the corpspeak. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I haven't seen many of his matches, but the man could throw a big boot with the best of them.

I loved that running big boot he would do where he'd hit it and drop to a knee on impact. It just always gave it an extra little ooomph.

• Like 2

FYI, this is what F4W had to report:

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/brodie-lee-hospitalized-late-october-health-worsened-328711

Following the death of Jon Huber (Brodie Lee) on Saturday, Dave Meltzer shared some details on Sunday's Wrestling Observer Radio on what led to him being hospitalized.

Following Lee's dog collar match with Cody Rhodes on the October 7th Dynamite where he lost the TNT title, the plan was for him to be off for several weeks selling the severity of the match. 

During his break, he was working out on his Peleton and got very tired, so much so that he couldn't finish his workout. Shortly thereafter, the condition affecting his lungs got considerably worse and he was hospitalized at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, at the end of October. Meltzer didn't have any specifics on what the condition was as Huber's wife, Amanda, has only said it was a non-Covid related lung issue.

The company was aware of what was going on as Huber's wife had told them, but the family didn't want it out publicly.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

For a segment of people, there's probably nothing the company could do to appease them. If there is a ten bell salute at the beginning of the show for him, there are likely those upset it wasn't enough. 

I mean, if Vince had told people not to tweet anything about him, that's one thing. 

My view at this stage is that WWE might do well to read the mood, and basically just do a semi-tribute show. Like...advance things that really need advancing - it's the end of the year, you have a bit of a pre-Rumble lull....they got nothing interesting going on, we as wrestling fans don't really care right now, the wrestlers are mourning, AND THEY HAVE 3 HOURS TO FILL. 

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
  • Like 2

As expected, AEW will be putting everything on hold in order to put on a Brodie tribute show Wednesday. 

The following matches were announced for Wednesday's special tribute show on TNT:

* Cody, Orange Cassidy and Preston "10" Vance vs. Team Taz

* Colt Cabana and AEW World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks vs. Matt Hardy and Private Party

* Hangman Page, Alex Reynolds and John Silver vs. MJF, Santana and Ortiz

* Anna Jay and Tay Conti vs. Dr. Britt Baker and Penelope Ford

* Lance Archer, Stu Grayson and Evil Uno vs. Eddie Kingston, The Butcher and The Blade

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Byron opened the show saying "It's Monday and you know what that means..." and McIntyre also said "It's Monday and you know what that means, yeah, yeah, yeah."