DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/23/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Thought this episode was a blast with lots of stuff packed in. Really enjoyed the opener. Thought Top Flight looked great, especially Darius' flurry of offense on both opponents. Loved Sting's Dusty impression. Jurassic Express' awesome finisher looked killer. Excellent post-match promo from Tully ruled as well. Not so much from Shawn Spears, tossing away the one interesting thing about him in Tully's black glove. so I guess that pairing is done with and the feud with Scorpio abandoned.  Kingston was fun on commentary though the ending of Pac/Butcher was a little awkward. Enjoyed Dustin/Uno, fun little story there. Shida is always the best and I thought Alex Gracia looked really good here. Legit thought Gracia might win either by countout or a distraction rollup. Absolutely loved Shida just bringing the fight to Abadon now, felt like course correcting from the previous scared acting, this was perfect. Action packed little 3 minute match there. Real solid main event, the best I've seen from the Acclaimed for sure as they looked more like they belonged in there with the Bucks. The next couple weeks are looking like they're going to be loaded, I love it. Great episode! 

• Like 3

My internet was out for half the day but I recorded my thoughts in Wordpad:

- Opening tag was pretty good. Maybe it's because I just watched Arn/Eaton vs. Pillman/Zenk but the matches reminded me of each other. I don't wanna bang on it too much but one of the brothers really does look like Cena; who was the other guy that looked like Cena that was in WWE? I can't remember his name. Then I was gonna groan at Hager taking the mic but the big dummy did the best talking of his entire life right there. I think they'll have a fun match. JR pointing out him not wearing socks slayed me.

- It's amusing that a born-again Christian is lined up with a guy who named himself after both Darby Crash and GG fucking Allin. Who is also somehow straight edge. 

- Rhode Island Red, huh Jim... if you've never seen The Devil's Rejects, here you go. Totally NSFW. 

Spoiler

- Eddie's feud with Tony is a bit much. It would've been nice for Butcher to either win or lose through DQ but of course that isn't allowed in AEW. Archer was horribly late on his run-in and I bet got chewed out for that.

- The finish wasn't in question but Uno and Dustin had one of my favorite matches on this show in awhile. Lots of fire from both guys, loved the hand work, actually liked this enough to watch the picture in picture! That never happens. Especially liked Uno not falling for the okey-doke with the dropdown uppercut setup from Dustin, can't remember anybody doing that yet. And hey I also liked a Shida match! Give me some stiffness and hate and you got me. I swear Abadon BITING HER NECK LIKE A VAMPIRE didn't have anything to do with it...

• Like 2

A few random thoughts:

The Abaddon/Shida pre and post match angles were freaking awesome. Between this and the Taker sit-up a couple weeks back, I am becoming a full-fledged fan of hers. Also, I heard the woman Shida wrestled had a pretty bad match on Dark in one of the other threads, which I didn't have time to watch before today's show incidentally, but I didn't think she was that bad at all (save for one vertical suplex Shida gave her that looked a little funky).

I can't say enough about the Kenny/Don pairing. To my ears, Don is on fire like Heyman was when he and Brock were still fresh.

Have to agree on Dustin/Uno being a pretty great TV match. I really liked the missed powerslam/finger stomp spot a lot.

Jade Cargill is one of the worst promos I've seen in a while. Plain and simple. I have no idea at this point what this is even building to. I thought Brandi throwing water on Shaq was the payoff and we got our fun little gif and we all moved on? 

If/when Archer vs. Kingston happens, I wonder what kind of match that's going to be. I liked the matches both had with Moxley so maybe something in that vein

I'm slowly getting sold on the Miro/Kip/Penelope pairing, but I'm not quite there yet. Their promo wasn't perfect, but it wasn't bad either. I don't know what it is, maybe the issue people want to cheer Miro but obviously they're full blown heels here with the wedding shit and opposing perennial babyface best friends. (On  a side note, I hope Trent isn't being written out for a legit injury issue or anything - I haven't heard anything if so).  If they were more tweener/faces, I could see them maybe capturing some of that random Dolph/AJ Lee/Big E energy.

I was surprised that the Sting segment wasn't Taz' guys beating Sting/Darby down and then Cody/Arn/Dustin/QT etc. making the save. I have to wonder if this is heading there next week, cause this is like the second week in a row they've just kinda said their thing and then just... walked out of there, so maybe that'll be the final segment together to hype the title match.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I guess NBA fans on Twitter that stuck around for Dynamite were ROASTING the opening tag match, calling Jericho fat and out of shape etc and wondering what this “WWE knockoff” is. Oof.

God fucking dammit. That sucks. Maybe in retrospect they should have opened with Sting or the Bucks match.

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

God fucking dammit. That sucks. Maybe in retrospect they should have opened with Sting or the Bucks match.

Oh, you know, maybe they shouldn't listen to the critcism of folks who themselves probably resemble a pumpkin with hips.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah fair point it's just a bummer, I'm a weirdo that way, I want people to like the stuff I like

No, I get it but at the same time...these are the same folks who are now watching the equivalent of a YMCA pickup game inside of giant empty arena where some company paid millions for the naming rights to.

I don't care if Jericho came out in a Muumuu and a floppy straw hat as soon as the broadcast started, beggars can't be choosers as far as entertainment options go.

• Like 3

Man, The Bucks/Acclaimed match was hot.

And Dustin Rhodes continues to refuse to get old. I mean, he's a much better wrestler and moves so much better than he did when he was, say, Black Reign a billion years ago. That match was just fantastic stuff.

The MJF/Santana segment was pretty damn emotional.

• Like 2

Man all the stuff about Jericho is kind of making me sad. No he doesn't look anywhere near the best shape of his career, but he's also 50 years old. He's been beaten up a lot of the years as well. Ric Flair wrestling in his 50s didn't look like prime Ric Flair either. WCW even started making him wrestle in pants and a t-shirt at one point. Ric Flair wrestling the final match of WCW/Nitro history in a t-shirt in case everyone had forgotten. Eventually he stopped that when he returned to the ring in WWF, but I never got this? Was Flair feeling self-conscious about his body at this point? Did he not think he was in good shape?

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Oh, you know, maybe they shouldn't listen to the critcism of folks who themselves probably resemble a pumpkin with hips.

Lots of neck beards look like pumpkins with hips. It’s not smart to isolate yourself from people that fall within, “the demo.” 

In all fairness it’s a double edged sword for AEW. Jericho next to Sting is probably the most well known name they have among casuals that would possibly stick around after the NBA was over. 

edit: for every Ric Flair, there’s also a Ken Shamrock. 

Edited by cubbymark
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Lots of neck beards look like pumpkins with hips. It’s not smart to isolate yourself from people that fall within, “the demo.” 

In all fairness it’s a double edged sword for AEW. Jericho next to Sting is probably the most well known name they have among casuals that would possibly stick around after the NBA was over. 

edit: for every Ric Flair, there’s also a Ken Shamrock. 

Tropicana-Orange-Juice.jpg.optimal.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Man all the stuff about Jericho is kind of making me sad. No he doesn't look anywhere near the best shape of his career, but he's also 50 years old. He's been beaten up a lot of the years as well. Ric Flair wrestling in his 50s didn't look like prime Ric Flair either. WCW even started making him wrestle in pants and a t-shirt at one point. Ric Flair wrestling the final match of WCW/Nitro history in a t-shirt in case everyone had forgotten. Eventually he stopped that when he returned to the ring in WWF, but I never got this? Was Flair feeling self-conscious about his body at this point? Did he not think he was in good shape?

Flair has been on record thst he was self conscious for the last Nitro. It was his call to wear the shirt. He hadn't been working out as I think he was off TV before that last Nitro. 

Sting adopting The Crow gimmick in 1997 essentially saw his physique also atrophy. For as much shit as Hogan gets over the Starrcade match- Sting did not show up ready.

Tully better be careful or he's going to turn at least himself babyface because I don't think there's a soul on this earth except for the Stunt family who doesn't want to see Blanchard kick Marko's ass.

I love Abadon but the neck-biting angle is atrocious. It was terrible when Shayna did it a few months back and it's terrible here. It's SO unrealistic and over-the-top that it completely takes me out of it. Do you think Aubrey would just stand there and look at a person who just had a chunk taken out of the side of their neck in real life? And Shida? She'd be screaming and rolling around asking for help. Medics. Anything. You know it was bad when the announcers barely mentioned it and they quietly went to break.

Edited by Peck
  • Like 3

Won't see the show until after 3 (thanks Bucks for taking your sweet time losing and me having to go to bed) but it sounds like it was a pretty good show.

But regarding the NBA fans if they started the match with Bucks/Acclaimed there would have been complaints about Bucks looking like kids wrestle for all we know.  So while Jericho should lay off the sauce and try a little bit to get in shape there's also just no way to please people sometimes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Tropicana-Orange-Juice.jpg.optimal.jpg

I would have went with a syringe but to each their own.

4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Sting adopting The Crow gimmick in 1997 essentially saw his physique also atrophy. For as much shit as Hogan gets over the Starrcade match- Sting did not show up ready.

Shit, Sting's physique had been atrophied since about 93 or 94 when WCW started to have a modicum of drug testing. Compared to mid 80s to very early 90s Sting, he was always gonna look like a lesser version of the one that was on everything under the sun. 

That's always been a shitty talking point created by whomever (Hulk or Bischoff) because none of those guys looked what they use to look like. No amount of tanning and baby oil was gonna make Terry Bollea look like Hulk pre Zahorian trial. 

• Like 3