DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/23/2020

Dolfan in NYC

She'll fit right in with the majority of the division. 

Watching the SCU segment from yesterday's Dark and they gotta ban "this business." Say pro wrestling or sport. Fuck off with "this business." I hate it so fucking much.

Other than that and a bit of overacting, I really like the set-up because it'll get some heat on somebody (probably Kazarian). 

Shit, I guess this should've gone in the general thread. Anyway, another week without an obvious main event. Pac/Butcher is what I'm looking forward to the most. Jericho trying to keep up with Top Flight could get really ugly.

Edited by Jiji

Alex Gracia wrestled Kilynn King on Dark for the right to face Shida tonight, and won.

Also, Gracia is Scorpio Sky's S.O., but that's not any of our business.

Anyone have two lines completed on their AEW Nepotism Bingo card yet? 

Agree with my cranky friend from B.C. about wrestlers talking about "this business". It sounds fucking stupid. 

I wish they had Jericho and Sammy featured in the tag division. Now that Jericho is out of the main event scene, too much of his shitty comedic stylings are coming through. Le Sex Gods trying to destroy the Bucks for the belt is more interesting to me than this MJF stuff. 

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Last night was my first time seeing Gracia wrestle and I hope she fares better tonight than she did on Dark.  Poor girl was stumbling about and things were off so I'm hoping that was just an off night.

I've never thought that someone getting attacked on the way to the ring so they don't have to wrestle would be the best thing for their career. But there it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

Minor hair-splitting: It's not so much the use of the word business as it is "this" with the weird stress on it; which is a weird american quirk of the language that bugs me whenever I hear it.

I agree with you on this, and I myself am American. Personally, I blame HHH's reign of terror from 2002-2005, with honorable mention to late-era ECW Shane Douglas. You'll never hear two guys "in this business" it more.

• Like 1

The flip side of this is this is apparently airing live after the game on the west coast as well, which will be about 7pm. So some regular viewers may miss the first hour, big lead in from the nba game, one of the very few “live” on the west coast dynamites with no spoilers. Will be interesting. 

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

Anyone have two lines completed on their AEW Nepotism Bingo card yet? 

Agree with my cranky friend from B.C. about wrestlers talking about "this business". It sounds fucking stupid. 

I wish they had Jericho and Sammy featured in the tag division. Now that Jericho is out of the main event scene, too much of his shitty comedic stylings are coming through. Le Sex Gods trying to destroy the Bucks for the belt is more interesting to me than this MJF stuff. 

Hey guys, remember when Jericho cut a promo about him and Hager going for the tag belts?

I love AEW bug god damn do they just abandon angles sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Hey guys, remember when Jericho cut a promo about him and Hager going for the tag belts?

I love AEW bug god damn do they just abandon angles sometimes.

You misunderstood, he said they were going out to get "bag belts", that is to say belts to hold their man-bags. Glad I could clear that up for you!

• Haha 1

I wish they could switch around this episode of Dynamite with last week's. This one needed the 8pm ET viewers. This one overacheived.

I found that Sting promo delightful! It's like he's one of the definitive superstars of my lifetime or something. The payoff to all of this is going to be diminished by the fact that he can't, y'know, wrestle anymore, but they're bothering to explain his motivations in regards to Cody and Darby. The Team Taz involvement continues to fit and I hope this angle makes the time for a Ricky Starks TNT Championship reign, even if it's just a short take-and-give with Darby.

That's the best I've ever seen Lucha Express look as a trio. Luchasaurus particularly was a lot less slo-mo than usual, their tandem offense was really crisp and Marko's insufferably aggressive lap dog personality reads better against rookies like Angels and Vance.

I feel like they're rushing Hager/Wardlow but that might be a symptom of Warlow's unexpected absence. I want a fuck finish next week, a few more months of it and a blowoff match at a PPV, I really care about that feud for some reason.

Kenny has that brain thing that Bret Hart, dudes in action films and a bunch of MMA guys have. He promos better in sunglasses, he's like the kid in Big Daddy. Easy fix, just keep wearing sunglasses. Don Callis sure doesn't hurt. This Belt Collector storyline doesn't mean a damn thing without the IWGP eventually, hate to say it, the work Kenny's doing is never going to matter as much as the success AEW has politicking.

Perpetual Charisma Engine Miro is pointed in a weird direction right now but he's looking more comfortable every week. Can we get Sue driving the ambulance when Best Friends make their triumphant return at Beach Break?

Keep putting Dustin in there with character-forward young indie veterans. Ten minute TV matches, forever and ever. Dustin Rhodes is the platonic ideal of the quarter-hour segment TV wrestler, has been for decades, and we should make some statues of him. Big props to Uno for gelling really well with him, I could watch this matchup a few more times.

Shida/Abadon has been an effective diet Shango/Warrior thing, I guess. I like the fact that Shida's getting reps doing weekly character work.

Bucks were doing everything in their power to make The Acclaimed look like a million, uh, dollars. Matt's kickout of the boombox shot was the "OK, they aren't winning" nearfall the match didn't need.

Finally, I can't believe they never fixed the lip syncing on that M&Ms / Santa Claus add that's been airing for the last hundred years. I like to think of Billy West's Red M&M voice being the exact centerpoint between his work as the Honey Nut Cheerios bee and Philip J Fry.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1