DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 12/25/20

victor

Because of Christmas, it was just taped.

The show opens with Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens in a steel cage match. Owens has hit Reigns with everything he’s got including a powerbomb and a stunner, but can’t get Reigns down for three. Owens has also kicked out of a Superman Punch, so he looks quite strong. Owens was about to win, but Jey Uso interferes and handcuffs him to the cage. Reigns is then able to walk out of the door and wins. Owens calls him a little b—” afterward.

Charlotte and Asuka are up next. Bayley interrupts, and then comes out Sasha Banks & Bianca Belair. Carmella enters the fray and Baymella is reunited. The match is now a triple threat elimination match for the belts: Carmella & Bayley vs. Sasha Banks & Bianca Belair vs. Charlotte Flair & Asuka. Bayley & Carmella are the first eliminated as Banks pins Bayley. Charlotte & Asuka are able to retain after Flair pins Belair.

Sami Zayn backstage gets a gift from Street Profits! It’s a shirt that says, “I was the Intercontinental Champion.”

Daniel Bryan gets attacked on his way to ring by Jey Uso before their match. However, the match continues. Bryan manages to make a comeback and wins.

The final match of the night is the IC title match between Sami Zayn and Big E. All the lumberjacks are from SmackDown … except for Angel Garza, who is here for some reason. Corbin and other heels attack Big E during the bout. Zayn keeps trying to leave but the babyface lumberjacks stop him. Brawl breaks out between lumberjacks and Zayn makes a run for it but Apollo Crews stops him. Big E hits a Big Ending to win the Intercontinental Championship. Babyfaces hoist up Big E to end the show and everyone celebrate

Edited by victor

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Big E as IC champ?  I can get behind that.

Hell yeah, so as long this does not mean he will not be the one also challenging Reigns at Wrestlemania. But there's still months for Reigns to cause E to lose the title to Jey Uso and thus becoming E's next target. Only to see Goldberg get the opportunity, goddammit!

• Like 1

Funny you mention that as I would love to see Jey with the title.  The guy has stepped it up and not only would it fit the Bloodline deal with two champions but I have confidence in Jey making for a darn good IC champ.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Funny you mention that as I would love to see Jey with the title.  The guy has stepped it up and not only would it fit the Bloodline deal with two champions but I have confidence in Jey making for a darn good IC champ.

Yeah, that's how I see this one going down, at least.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Hell yeah, so as long this does not mean he will not be the one also challenging Reigns at Wrestlemania. But there's still months for Reigns to cause E to lose the title to Jey Uso and thus becoming E's next target. Only to see Goldberg get the opportunity, goddammit!

There was a "Dirt sheet" report not long ago that claimed he was no longer being considered for that. That doesn't mean it's true, but...

I am SHOCKED to read that the lumberjacks fight amongst themselves! 

To be honest, this sounds like a fun episode. I don't really watch week to week anymore but will probably tune in to this as I'll be off work. I will have to see the cage match ending for myself but just reading it, I'm not sure if I like it for the type of character Roman has been. A badass, asskicking heel shouldn't need to resort to that and (at least from the recaps I have been following) he doesn't seem like a chickenshit heel. Am I right in that assumption? Or is his character sometimes resorting to that type of thing?

On the new Studcast, Ron mentioned on Xmas 1976 in Knoxville, 'Santa' helped babyface Robert Fuller win the Southeastern title from heel Ron Garvin. 

What's funny is that it seems like whenever that's done, it's usually a heel Santa not a babyface Santa. Or at least, the two most memorable ones to me were (Jake in Florida, Hayes in Dallas).

3 hours ago, just drew said:

There was a "Dirt sheet" report not long ago that claimed he was no longer being considered for that. That doesn't mean it's true, but...

Can't say that I would be very shocked if that turns out to be true, unfortunately!

9 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I am SHOCKED to read that the lumberjacks fight amongst themselves! 

To be honest, this sounds like a fun episode. I don't really watch week to week anymore but will probably tune in to this as I'll be off work. I will have to see the cage match ending for myself but just reading it, I'm not sure if I like it for the type of character Roman has been. A badass, asskicking heel shouldn't need to resort to that and (at least from the recaps I have been following) he doesn't seem like a chickenshit heel. Am I right in that assumption? Or is his character sometimes resorting to that type of thing?

Looking at that spoiler it makes sense.  Roman is the ass-kicking heel but with him ruling over Jey and Jey wanting to get in his good graces it seems like it checks out.  It could also be the result of Paul getting in Roman's ear as Paul was mortified on Talking Smack about the Kevin Owens that they would see.  So if that's the case then Roman probably figures "Fuck it, he ain't going down so just leave."

• Like 1

First full Smackdown I've watched in a long long time. It delivered all the way through. It really felt like the wanted to make the best out of the rub they got from NFL. Really hit home its Rumble time and Mania season, so if you were a lapsed fan or catching in , this was a perfect show to get people hooked. Between Bryan announcing he's in the Rumble and Owen getting screwed the title picture looks hot right now. That tag title match was fun too. Bel Air is ready to be in that title, she's the polar opposite of Nia Jaxx as far as working ability. If I decided to pick one WWE show to watch every week it would be Smackdown because it looks solid up and down the card and most importantly they have guys right now can get invested in outside of just having great matches which isn't hard to come by in any promotion. I could just continue to just live off the monthly PPVs and not watch the weekly TV but tonight was the first time in a long time that I felt compelled to watch again next week 

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1

Sami Zane got to be in a few segments and a main Event, he's constantly been the best heel in company. Good to see him in a prominent spot with out being associated with Owen's. 

And Big E is the next big thing, he was great earlier on an the quiet but dominant big man. Him in the New Day it brought out his personality for sure but he seems much more of a threat being a man of few words and being serious.

If you're going to compare getting lead-ins from live sports, Smackdown did much better than Dynamite (of course there are other factors to consider) by putting your world champ in a cage match, having his backup help him cheat, which relates to his backup having a match versus one of your other top faces and featuring your women's division and establishing the characters for your main event match which had a nice ending with your face winning and a celebration.

It's awful that Vince doesn't like to tape TV(deals not withstanding) because this was great.

• Like 1

Hour 2 had 2.574 million viewers on average. That's about 20% more than Smackdown normally has. So they were able to keep around 400,000 football fans for the entire show.

The show was set up perfectly. Open with the world champ in an easily recognized stipulation match. Go into a tag match showcasing your top women. Follow with match setting up a potential opponent for the world champ. End on a high note with a face winning a title as confetti drops.

Whether they keep any of the new viewers, we'll have to wait and see. But WWE capitalized on the NFL lead-in big time.

• Like 1

Just a reminder for the folks thinking Big E/Roman has to be done at Mania

They are also laying the foundation for Daniel Bryan's eventual challenge too

In terms of likely hood - I would say Reigns Mania opponents are (in order)

• Goldberg
  • Bryan
  • Seth Rollins
  • Brock Lesnar
  • Drew McIntyre
  • Big E
  • Rock (Internet RUMORZ~! says that Vince is actually waiting for 2022 for this because that Mania is in LA)

Of course - they might also burn Bryan/Reigns at Rumble so who knows

• Like 1