DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2020 - WEEK SIXTEEN

dogwelder

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Also every time in your life where a NFL expert tells you that the Steelers being 99% pass 1% run "isn't Mike Tomlin's kind of offense", drink. I don't know what league they've watched because this is exactly Mike Tomlin's wet dream.

Also they always go on about how the Steelers “are traditionally a power running team” which is totally false, the 70’s Steelers were all about traps, sweeps and draw plays, then when they changed rules to open up the passing game they aired it out, Cower only went with the power running game when he had big backs like Jerome Bettis and Bam Morris. Even when the Steelers were slightly good in the early 60’s it was due to Bobby Layne chucking it down field. 

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Seriously, Washington going for 7-9 and a playoff bid gets the spotlight game just Rams/Cards or Packers/Bears?

Fuck that bullshit

Ignoring market size for a quick second - I am 99% sure it is because the NFL wants a game that will 100% have something to play for.

The Rams/Cards and Packers/Bears rely on each other. If you flex Rams/Cards and then the Bears win earlier in the day - both teams are already eliminated.

If you flex Packers/Bears - if Seattle loses earlier in the day, GB will have the #1 seed and could potentially be resting starters (theoretically they could say fuck it and rest starters anyway but that is a less likely scenario).

Now - and again I know a lot of folks don't like that this is part of the decision but - with this choice you get Washington watching (and Philly fans who wanna watch the world burn) plus you get either Dallas or New York (which are probably their two biggest markets along with "Tom Brady's team") assured of watching too.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I should also note that Goff fracturing his thumb makes that game less attractive to NBC

Has anyone in the history of the earth tuned into a football game specifically to watch Jared Goff?  Seriously, what is the difference in ratings between Jared Goff and literally anybody else?  Matter of fact, Jared Goff is the real world equivalent to the phrase, "anybody else."

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Dwayne Haskins era is officially over

How the hell do you get this far playing quarterback, without becoming a football automaton?  The Dwayne Haskins thing just confuses the shit out of me, because no one gets that far without putting the work in, what the fuck changed?  It is almost impossible to be a 1st round NFL quarterback prospect, and somehow he did it without showing anyone how terrible his work habits are.  How did he get to the point where on the night of the draft, Haskins was looked at as a legitimate prospect, but Patrick Mahomes of all people was looked at as a reach?  I have no idea how no one has any fucking clue about how good or bad any quarterback is going to be until they actually start playing.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

It's because he went to the same high school as Snyder's kid.

Except that discounts the fact that one of the biggest reasons that everyone hated the  Daniel Jones pick was that Dwayne Haskins was still available.  Snyder is a dumbass, but pretty much every team who needed a quarterback would have picked him.  I went and looked at things that people said about Justin Herbert and Dwayne Haskins, and it's pretty clear that scouts liked Haskins more despite Herbert being the stereotypical big, strong, pocket passer and is a better athlete than Haskins.  People who get paid millions of dollars to make these decisions thought that Haskins would be better than Herbert, and I don't understand how the hell that happened.

Also there is the Ohio State factor

THEY WENT TO OHIO STATE!!! CLEARLY THEY ARE GOOD!!!

Where if you look at the history of OSU offensive positions and who was actually good - the ratio is unkind

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Where if you look at the history of OSU offensive positions and who was actually good - the ratio is unkind

Basically. GMs and coaches get too excited over the played in a pro style offense guys vs the project guys. When you have to win now you go for a guy you figure you can just plug in. There will be conversations forever about Chicago not taking Mahomes but coming out of the Texas Tech spread offense no doubt worried clubs about what the growing pains would be.  Best thing to ever happen to Mahomes was going to Andy Reid.  Haskins is weird though. Rated highly even though Urban Meyer said he had issues with responsibility and maturity 

52 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Except that discounts the fact that one of the biggest reasons that everyone hated the  Daniel Jones pick was that Dwayne Haskins was still available.  Snyder is a dumbass, but pretty much every team who needed a quarterback would have picked him.  I went and looked at things that people said about Justin Herbert and Dwayne Haskins, and it's pretty clear that scouts liked Haskins more despite Herbert being the stereotypical big, strong, pocket passer and is a better athlete than Haskins.  People who get paid millions of dollars to make these decisions thought that Haskins would be better than Herbert, and I don't understand how the hell that happened.

See Russell, JaMarcus. You never know what happens to a promising athlete when he gets some money for the first time 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - Washington did what they should have done last week

Dwayne Haskins has been cut

Curious what was the last straw.  His awful performance or making a huge stink about when and where his post game press conference was.  I mean he wasn't playing next year but at least make him backup 

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I like the Titans but they just have to be ahead or at least very close or everything they do just falls apart because NFL coaches don't understand how clocks work yet and think you get back in games by abandoning the run, giving the other team more time of posession way too early.

It was funny last night.  After Tennessee fell behind by three scores, Al & Cris talked about how the Titans had to abandon the run and Derrick Henry would be invisible, blah blah blah.  There were over 39 minutes left at the time.  Since when can't running attacks score 3 times in 39 minutes?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Curious what was the last straw.  His awful performance or making a huge stink about when and where his post game press conference was.  I mean he wasn't playing next year but at least make him backup 

I imagine they knew they were going to cut him after the night club bullshit, but would roll with it until the end of the year. Him stinking up the joint probably just accelerated the timeline.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah, clearly they bought into him just being the latest in the long line of superstar quarterbacks from Ohio.  Oh wait...

Honestly, I watched Haskins a lot and never thought he looked like a top NFL prospect.  Huge numbers, to be sure, just felt like "college success". 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Honestly, I watched Haskins a lot and never thought he looked like a top NFL prospect.  Huge numbers, to be sure, just felt like "college success". 

Even putting his, uh, behavioural issues aside, I always felt the same way about Jameis Winston. He has a God-given arm but even in college his INT numbers were a giant red flag to me.

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Even putting his, uh, behavioural issues aside, I always felt the same way about Jameis Winston. He has a God-given arm but even in college his INT numbers were a giant red flag to me.

Yeah, Jameis threw a ton of picks his second year.  18 picks is a LOT for a team that went 13-1.  

Haskins didn't do that - just 8 picks his only year as a starter.  I can't quite put a finger on it, just didn't see him as an NFL guy.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ignoring market size for a quick second - I am 99% sure it is because the NFL wants a game that will 100% have something to play for.

The Rams/Cards and Packers/Bears rely on each other. If you flex Rams/Cards and then the Bears win earlier in the day - both teams are already eliminated.

If you flex Packers/Bears - if Seattle loses earlier in the day, GB will have the #1 seed and could potentially be resting starters (theoretically they could say fuck it and rest starters anyway but that is a less likely scenario).

Now - and again I know a lot of folks don't like that this is part of the decision but - with this choice you get Washington watching (and Philly fans who wanna watch the world burn) plus you get either Dallas or New York (which are probably their two biggest markets along with "Tom Brady's team") assured of watching too.

IIRC A staple of the last SNF of the season is usually unveiling the playoff slate at the end of the game. You take the meaning away from that if the game you're watching is virtually meaningless.

With GB @ CHI I'm guessing even though they probably would be permitted to do it since it's Week 17, having the Packers on SNF two consecutive weeks in a row wouldn't be ideal. In addition, the MNF game between the two this year was a blowout after three quarters. I doubt they even considered flexing that one.