DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Fine - 12/21/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Skipped around much of Raw.

The Hurt Business segment was fun though I didn't bother with their match against Jeff & Riddle.

I don't dislike the dynamic between Charlotte & Asuka right now. Asuka's support of her Sexy Muscle Friends is amusing, and you can totally tell Asuka wants this to be their official name. It was nice to see Mandy & Dana get an uninterrupted match with Nia & Shayna this time around.

The later match with Charlotte & Asuka taking on Peyton & Lacey was decent. I actually find the Peyton/Lacey combo fun as characters, but they feel rather pointless right now in terms of direction. Both would be better off getting built as challengers to Asuka.

Miz cut another a good serious promo only to be turned back into a joke by the time the segment ended. I really wish they would just let Miz run with that more serious side of himself. Its far more interesting than where he is right now as a goofball with Morrison. I wish Morrison would get a shot at being less of a goofball as well. Both do the role well, but it feels liek they should be beyond it at this point.

I couldn't be bothered with the main event as a street fight being worked as a normal tag match makes no damn sense.

7 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Yeah that street fight....wasn't a street fight at all. Knowing the past history of holiday-themed street fights, my wife demanded someone swing a Christmas tree and was severely disappointed.

5 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

you'd think Christmas Ornaments would lend themselves well to deathmatches, if nothing else

This. Throw in LEGO as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

all I want for Christmas is for Peyton Royce to throw the albatross Lacey Evans through a window Evans to try and dive through the window to escape in an act of cowardice so that Royce can be free

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

all I want for Christmas is for Peyton Royce to throw the albatross Lacey Evans through a window Evans to try and dive through the window to escape in an act of cowardice so that Royce can be free

Has Peyton been impressive on Main Event or something because from what I have seen she really isn't remotely better in the ring than Lacey.

The Undertaker's "retirement ceremony" was more of a Legends Night/Raw Goes Oldschool than they've done the past few years. I wonder which semi-mobile retired wrestler is going to win the 24/7 title in a backstage skit?

I like Angel Garza and think he's got more upside than a majority of the roster, but Gulak deserves better than doing an unceremonious job. 

Are they starting to sow seeds of The Hurt Business breaking up? That's an incredibly boneheaded move as they're really hitting their stride right now. On the other hand, breaking up a team that's better off together is pretty on-brand for WWE.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Has Peyton been impressive on Main Event or something because from what I have seen she really isn't remotely better in the ring than Lacey.

no I just like her a lot better

[she is also ostensibly on a short list of women Vince considers to be potential Money Acts, which leads one to expect she's in line for some sort of solo run designed to test that theory]

Starting the show with Charlotte patronizing Asuka instead of Orton coming out to "Light My Fire" isn't what I would have done.

Mandy-Dana insulting Shayna-Nia by calling them ugly reindeer was the biggest WTF moment of the night. The match was pretty good, though. They got enough time and was solid throughout.

Riddle's act got on my nerves before the allegations. It's 10X worse now. If they're going to put him in a tag team, he needs a strait-laced partner to offset his tendencies. Gulak would have be a better choice. BTW, Garza-Gulak was starting to get good, alas.

Hurt Business is the best thing on the show by a mile. Watching Alexander become more arrogant is going to be fun.

Miz returning to form, if just for a moment, was great. But if they put MITB back on him? No bueno. Just admit MITB was cursed this year and move on. Drew reading "A Nightmare After TLC" was cringe.

Retribution beating up Ricochet until he joins them feels like an abusive relationship.

The Orton-Alexa segment was weird, but at least there's effort going into it. Having Alexa acting like a brainwashed 10-year-old is creepy, which I get is the point. Props to her playing it well. Guess The Fiend is going to become WWE's Freddy Krueger.

Whoever thought to give Elias THAT guy as a roadie needs to be hit upside the head with a brick.

Peyton-Lacey is a terrible team. They have similar strengths and weaknesses, which means we get two annoying 'speak to the manager' types who can't carry the workload for their duo. 

A six-man street fight with legal tags and no weapons until the last two minutes was a choice. They're trying to create tension with Sheamus/Lee, but it's not quite clicking. Omos is the coolest guy in this story by far, just by standing there 90% of the time.

Legends Night better be Orton setting old dudes on fire.

It's the same issue as always with RAW: some things are fine, some things aren't. The big problem is the show has no rhythm. There's no spark or joy. It goes through the motions and it does the job in the most mundane way.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Props to her playing it well. Guess The Fiend is going to become WWE's Freddy Krueger.

Sweet fuck all, he's coming back after a dog pisses fire on his corpse, isn't he.

11 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Peyton's making the same face as every girl I asked out in high school. Surely Evans' days are numbered.

Well, at least you asked someone! Evans may grow on her yet, the odds are not in her favor, but it's still possible!

Cole calling the Riddle-Hardy tag team "Hardy Bros" was the sort of unfunny thing WWE Creative comes up with that is far less clever than the company thinks it is.  Though I suppose "Baked and Confused" might be too on the nose for some people (I kinda like Bronigma, but it sounds too derivative of Breezango).

Show was ok.  Fine might be a stretch (the thread title lies), but it was mostly inoffensive.  I don't dig anything to do with Alexa or Bray but the segment wasn't terrible.  Not sure how Randy became the heel in this feud.  They're babyfacing the Fiend without quite admitting they're babyfacing the Fiend.  Don't like the idea, but the lack of crowds does give them some latitude to try tweener gimmicks.

The camera quick-cutting away from Omos as he was obviously about to dump Morrison through a table and missing the payoff is so indicative of WWE that it should be in a highlight reel.

Edited by Eoae

17 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Got anyone who shows up infrequently enough for me to actually miss? Someone who’s not going to be a thirty second cameo in a lame backstage bit? 

I’m sure some version of the Kliq will show up to bury a tag team.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Got anyone who shows up infrequently enough for me to actually miss? Someone who’s not going to be a thirty second cameo in a lame backstage bit? 

The officially announced names were Hogan, Flair, Big Show, Kurt Angle, Beth Phoenix, & Torrie Wilson. While the Observer notes the commercial featured quick shots of: Jacqueline, Booker T, Sgt. Slaughter, Mickie James, Tatanka, Jeff Jarrett, Jimmy Hart, Ivory, Carlito, The Boogeyman, Melina, Mark Henry, Alicia Fox, IRS, Hillbilly Jim, Candice Michelle, & Michael Hayes

• Like 1