DVDVR Message Board

NXT - 2021

Dolfan in NYC

Whilst there's been accusations about Dunne's natty status underneath his tweet, I tend to think that somebody with the guidance he has access to that he could probably achieve that, for a moment in time at any rate, without use of steroids, test or whatever.

I'd be surprised if he's 190 at this point. Obviously this doesn't matter in NXT that much when the main-event is O'Reilly, Cole and Balor - but for me the whole point of being the 'Bruiserweight' was that he was built to go rather than for show. Now he's a 7th place in a bodybuilding contest guy. Okay, that's a bit harsh..I do appreciate he will have worked hard to achieve that look, and I wouldn't be able to do it, I'm just not sure it brings much to the table in terms of being Pete Dunne, NXT wrestler.

I kind of think the same about Trent Seven's weight loss as well, but I get that as somebody who's not getting any younger he's looking to cut weight - and at least it's building to a match with Devlin. He's also, let's face it, not on Network TV.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

Yeah, it does take something away from his previous aura, in which he looked like a school-yard bully in a fake-fur vest and a singlet. The current look may help him if he ever gets demoted to the main roster, but I guess he would have to maintain the current level of cut and still "find a way" to ADD maybe 30 lbs back into his frame. He could ask for those pounds Trent has no use for, but he'd need it to be lean muscle mass, and Trent can't help him there!

He won't be able to recomp at that bodyfat level natty - I doubt he'd be able to do it without a large amount of blasting. But even if he was to lean bulk and recut several times, I doubt very, very much he'd get another 10lbs on at the body fat natural. You have to be realistic - guy will have been weight training for several years, and he'll likely have had a reasonable standard of programming for some of that time; he ain't pulling on any newb gains here.

I really don't see Dunne ever going main roster whilst NXT has television tbh. I think the school bully point has salience, he was a 'junior' and now he's getting older and I guess looking like you steal kids' lunch money because they were going to spend it on intensely-reared chicken wings isn't viable anymore....though I'm not sure Daniel Bryan completely tapped out vegan douchebag so maybe 'bullying vegan douchebag who think he's Ronnie Coleman but really isn't all that' might actually be right down Vince's alley.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

'bullying vegan douchebag who think he's Ronnie Coleman but really isn't all that' might actually be right down Vince's alley.

With proper writing, this could have some mileage in it!

Yeah and I have this innate suspicion of anyone's nattyness, if they are both bigger AND more ripped than I am. Well, Dunne only checks one box (take your pick which one), but I'm painfully aware of (my) natty limits these days. Dunne at this point, is absolutely and totally within natural limits, but he got there suspiciously fast, given where he was before.

Considering he LOST weight in order to look the way he does now, adding any more lean muscle at this point, while retaining the cut would be hard af! And as you said, he must have been working out for more than a decade now anyway, so no noob gains, whatsoever.

Since he has been as successful as he has, I'd hate for him to have to bulk up with steroids to the point where he loses some of his athletic ability, just to fit better on the main roster. But that doesn't even guarantee anything! Alesteir Black inflated his pecs something fierce, and Vince still didn't "get" his character (shocking, I know)!

4 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

L.A. Knight just sounds like a pair of sneakers from the 90's. 

I was thinking about the name and was wondering if he used to say Eli Drake ( that used to be his name, right?) with similar cadence? If you stretch saying "Eli" it could be said in a similar manner as one would say "L.A." I may be way off the mark here, since I have not seen anything at all by him prior to this, but I thought there may a tinge of sense in the otherwise stupid name. That would probably be pretty easy to find out by checking out his earlier promos, but I'm not arsed to do such things at the moment.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:38 PM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

You guys are waxing philosophical about gaining mass but all of your "he can't gain that much size at that frame" arguments have been debunked lol. Visual proof...

Before:

Reveal hidden contents

rStLHTYAYQU8G1HopE04NchPw1kzJagCVEHABbbt

After:

Reveal hidden contents

3e7jzgp43ia41.png?auto=webp&s=f1e9235c73

Yeah, I know that diet, apparently it involves no carbs and a metric shit-ton of protein and supplements. Jinder has been on it for the same damn thing for half a dedade.

But yeah, gaining almost any amount of mass to any tiny frame is possible with enough chemicals injected into one's bloodstream. We were wondering if he could do it within the "Wellness Policy"-bounds? Well, no we weren't even doing that. It was more like, another guy who wasn't on steroids/HGH is now (or would be soon after hitting the main roster) on at least something.

Oh, and I would never wax my philosophical on a wrestling message board  (or anywhere else , where there 's a bunch of other people ) , I'm just not that kind of a person!

Edited by Shartnado
Just to clarify...

On 3/6/2021 at 11:16 AM, Shartnado said:

I was thinking about the name and was wondering if he used to say Eli Drake ( that used to be his name, right?) with similar cadence? If you stretch saying "Eli" it could be said in a similar manner as one would say "L.A." I may be way off the mark here, since I have not seen anything at all by him prior to this, but I thought there may a tinge of sense in the otherwise stupid name. That would probably be pretty easy to find out by checking out his earlier promos, but I'm not arsed to do such things at the moment.

You are correct. He would say Eli with the same cadence when doing promos. As soon as I saw the name change I knew the reasoning. I've always like Eli's stuff in Impact (didn't catch his NWA run). Listening to interviews with him though, I get the idea that he's a jackass and that's why he's bounced around over the years. Like if you're able to tell your own story in an interview and you still come off like a jackass, that's not good.

• Thanks 1

I wondered the same thing about the similar cadence involved in saying Eli and L.A. Even though I'd seen enough Eli promos to know his basic style and catchphrases, him saying his own name wasn't something that stuck in my head. While googling British Knights sneakers, it also popped in my head that L.A. Gear was another brand of sneakers/athletic apparel. It doesn't seem random enough to have come from WWE's random name generator, so Eli must have been the one combining those two 90's brands to get his new ring name.

Edited by FluffSnackwell

It has now been officially announced that Regal will make TWO big announcements on Wednesday 

So in addition to NXT Women's Tag Titles, expect him to announce the two day Takeover

• Sad 1

Did Kacy Catanzaro really tear her ACL at some point and the Xia Li match and stoppage was a way to explain that or were the crutches and the kneebrace this week just paying attention to detail? It's a real damn tragedy if she's badly injured for real! If it's been reported, then I have missed it. Not that I check anywhere but here, but still.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:16 AM, Shartnado said:

Did Kacy Catanzaro really tear her ACL at some point and the Xia Li match and stoppage was a way to explain that or were the crutches and the kneebrace this week just paying attention to detail? It's a real damn tragedy if she's badly injured for real! If it's been reported, then I have missed it. Not that I check anywhere but here, but still.

Her injury is legit.

She said on Instagram that it is a partial LCL tear

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Escobar better win. 

Nice to see Io/Raquel main event

I don’t think Escobar is winning, I think they are looking to move him out of the Cruiserweight division and on to other things. I don’t get all the Devlin hate. 

2 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I don’t think Escobar is winning, I think they are looking to move him out of the Cruiserweight division and on to other things. I don’t get all the Devlin hate. 

Was never into Devlin much before, but he entered my shit list after SpeakingOut.

• Like 1