DVDVR Message Board

NXT - 2021

Dolfan in NYC

All the splattery neon in the preview for tomorrow is making me think NXT In Your House. Hey, they already used it again once, and it'd go better with the new look than Takeover right?

EDIT: Those were big primary colors though... hmmm. Now I'm thinking it's funny that In Your House WASN'T all neon colored (AKA the official color tone of the early 1990s). 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I did not see the full episode of NXT 2.0 yet. But I really do think a reset of NXT is pretty called for at this point in time. 

I say that as an OG fan of this era of NXT. It was such an awesome weird mix of developmental talent and some indie vets who were trying  out new personas. That era of NXT gave us some incredible things like Dancing Emma and NXT Champion Bo Dallas and Big E's 5-Count and Renee Young and The Wyatt Family's reign of terror and Sami Zayn being the best babyface and the early days of The Horsewomen and Enzo and Cass. Maybe I'm off, but it does not seem to me that the people angriest about the NXT reset were joining CJ Parker with his protests against global warming or would put the Summer Rae/Fandango vs. Emma/Santino tag match in their Top 5 all-time NXT matches.

Not everything was great. The Ascension had the tag titles for almost one year. And a lot of it was just so incredibly goofy. But at the very least, everything was FUN and it was almost always good-to-great. The last time I was as into wrestling was when ECW emerged. I actually went to Florida to go see a taping at Full Sail a few winters ago.

But at some point for me, NXT just sort of lost its purpose. They did a good balancing act for a very long time in trying to develop new characters while bringing in established indie stars likely headed to the main roster. But I just really lost a lot of interest in what was my favorite wrestling program over time. There are probably a few reasons why, but most of all was how it morphed from Developmental League to Developmental League That Is Secretly The Best Wrestling Show In The World to Not Longer Secretly The Best to An Actual Third Brand.

I really have missed the first two or so phases of NXT a lot. There are a lot of elements of that still looming like tonight's wedding summit or the new faces floating around or Cameron Grimes and The Way. I'm excited if they stat to head back in that direction and give us things like Rick Steiner's kid trying to find his footing or The Creed Brothers ruining the spinal columns of some Orlando-based jobbers or In-Dex. I hope that's what we get.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I would have still gone with Bronson as his first name, Rex Steiner is about as good as anyone could ever hope for a WWE wrestling name... so of course that's not what he is called?!?

What in the actual frig?

Edited by Shartnado
He's called whatnow?

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

While I would have still gone with Bronson as his first name, Rex Steiner is about as good as anyone could ever hope for a WWE wrestling name... so of course that's not what he is called?!?

What in the actual frig?

It's so unfortunate. I mean, the dude's real name is Bronson. That's a bad ass name! Bronson Steiner, former NFL fullback, son of a legend, built like a brick shithouse throwing geeks around for a year is the easiest booking on the planet.

• Like 1

They didn't want to go with Bronson for obvious reasons, BUT REX STEINER IS THE BEST NAME IN THE HISTORY OF WRESTLING NAMES. Holy shit man. Last night was like Christmas morning when I had been asking for a SNES and got a Sega CD.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

At least they didn't call him Rex Gremlin.

At the same time, they called him the Dog Faced Gremlin twice. In addition, LA Knight called him cross eyed.

I don't know...dude seems pretty handsome to me and isn't cross-eyed. It's like everyone else was looking at him and could only see Rick Steiner. Meanwhile I'm looking at the guy and thinking he's probably lucky to have received his mom's looks.

On 9/15/2021 at 6:22 PM, Craig H said:

At the same time, they called him the Dog Faced Gremlin twice. In addition, LA Knight called him cross eyed.

I don't know...dude seems pretty handsome to me and isn't cross-eyed. It's like everyone else was looking at him and could only see Rick Steiner. Meanwhile I'm looking at the guy and thinking he's probably lucky to have received his mom's looks.

Yeah, it probably helped Bron out a lot to have his moms genes in the mix, but Iet me just say that on the other hand, the same exact thing DID NOT help Cal Bloom AT ALL!

15 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

That was too wholesome and too funny.  

Pretty sure Johnny's gotta call his stork-guy now. Although, even if the reveal was intended for later, or more public, or well, anything that isn't Doggy Wrestling popping the balloon by accident, the proverbial cat IS out of the bag already.

And for the record, there's totally a stork guy. Mork, yeah. I know him, or I know OF him, I don't have his number or haven't done business with him or anything, but it's a thing, definitely. I think they are planning a Netflix documentary about him, maybe?

Edited by Shartnado
Stork guys are real, like totally
  • Haha 1