DVDVR Message Board

2021 NBA - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Can we please just shut this season down?

I get there are incredible sums of money here, but this is fucking absurd, and it's happening while the country is (temporarily at least) running out of vaccines and a more contagious mutated strain of Covid is spreading and threatening to overtake the already awful strain that's caused so much.

Just shut it the fuck down and try to come up with something for the spring, before we start getting dead coaches and maybe even players.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 5

Slight update on the MEGA-TRADE~!

The Rockets and Pacers have officially completed their swap of high-scoring guards, with Caris LeVert going to Indiana and Victor Oladipo heading to Houston, Shams Charania of The Athletic tweets.

It’s part of the four-team blockbuster that sent former Most Valuable Player James Harden to Brooklyn, even though all other aspects were officially announced earlier this week. LeVert was acquired by the Rockets in that trade.

The part of the deal flipping LeVert to Indiana initially looked like it would be completed as a separate transaction, which would’ve allowed the Rockets to maximize the value of a trade exception created in the original trade.

However, an additional second-round pick and cash are being sent to Indiana due to an issue discovered in LeVert’s physical, per Charania, requiring the trade to be formally completed as a four-teamer.

In addition to Oladipo and a 2023 second-round pick (from the Rockets), the Pacers are also receiving cash and a 2024 second-round pick, says Charania. That additional pick, which is coming from Cleveland, was originally supposed to land with the Nets.

Per RealGM’s list of traded picks, the two picks headed to Indiana will technically be the least favorable of Houston’s, Dallas’, and Miami’s 2023 second-rounders; and the least favorable of Cleveland’s and Utah’s 2024 second-rounders.

The Cleveland Cavaliers are planning to trade or waive 2019 first-round pick Kevin Porter Jr., sources confirmed to ESPN.

Porter hasn't played and has largely been away from the team this season for what has been termed personal reasons. He was working his way back and attended his first game Friday night when the Cavs beat the New York Knicks.

That night, however, he had a screaming match with team officials after his locker was moved to an auxiliary area to accommodate new teammate Taurean Prince, who arrived from the Brooklyn Nets with Jarrett Allen in a trade last week. After the episode, Porter was told to clean out his locker and other members of the roster were informed he'd no longer be on the team, sources said.

The Athletic first reported the incident with Porter.

The team picked up an option in Porter's contract last month; he has one year at $1.7 million left on his deal.

The Cavs have been protective when discussing Porter during the season. There had been a plan to hopefully reintegrate him to the roster, though he spent weeks away from his teammates, sources said. His returning to the sideline indicated a progression in that plan, as coach J.B. Bickerstaff told reporters Friday.

"Obviously seeing what we're doing, experiencing the games and those types of things will help him as he returns," Bickerstaff said. "We have a plan in place with KP. He's always been a part of the team, but we wanted him with the guys."

Porter, 20, was arrested on Nov. 15 after a middle-of-the-night crash when he flipped his Mercedes SUV. He admitted to have been drinking earlier in the evening, and when police searched the car, they found a loaded handgun in the glove compartment and a small amount of marijuana.

A grand jury declined to indict Porter on a felony weapons charge after he was able to prove he didn't know the gun was in the car. Police also determined he was not impaired at the time of the accident. A judge dismissed the misdemeanor pot charge.

In October, Porter raised alarms when he posted a black square on his Instagram with the message "Do you ever wish to see the end of your time?" After Cavs officials and teammates reached out, Porter deleted his Instagram account.

He later posted a message on Twitter that read in part, "I'm fine. Been thru my worse times already, can't get worse than what I already been thru. Love & Thank you." That post was also later deleted.

The Cavs traded up to take Porter with the No. 30 pick in the 2019 draft. Though he had been regarded as one of the most talented players in the draft, Porter slid after a rocky freshman year at USC when he was suspended at one point for conduct issues.

He had a promising rookie season for the Cavs in 2019-20, averaging 10.0 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 50 games.

Holy shit, this potential Warriors comeback has been something. Pretty ugly game but they've stayed in it and Kelly Oubre is the hero we deserve. 

edit: Wiggins still inconsistent offensively but it's so great to see him put it together on the defensive end of things. If Oubre can start hitting open catch and shoot 3s this team could do some damage.

Edited by Jiji

The Wizards will never play again

Up to 7 players COVID positive and now a staff member 

Wednesday’s game against the Hornets is off which will make five consecutive postponements for DC

Warriors look like they have a game genie going against the Spurs. Wiseman had about 4 dunks in a row and Curry couldn't miss. This wouldn't be happening if the Spurs went to the fiesta jerseys full time. 

I wonder what Portland does without Nurkic AND McCollum for an extended period of time. Saw John Collins' name thrown out there as somebody they should target and I would love that to bits. He's unhappy, Atlanta is still rebuilding so Portland could probably make it work, and he would fit their system like a glove. He can score in the paint and stretch the floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Memphis' next 3 games (one against Portland, two against Sacramento are postponed)

Also in order to make up their missed games Washington would have to play something like 40 games in 60 days, which is not going to happen.

My favorite part is that the league tried to force the Wizards to play since they had exactly 8 dudes practicing and basically the whole team (AND the GM) had to tell them to fuck off.

• Like 1

So what do we think of the TNT crew's halftime analysis of Mitchell followed by Shaq directly calling him out in a post-game interview (after winning their seventh game in a row I believe)? The crux is that while, yes, a great scorer, Mitchell is not a guy to carry a team to the finals or even WCF because he is too one dimensional. What does he add beyond scoring? He's not a great facilitator, defender, or rebounder. And yet he just hit 600 3 pointers quicker than guys like Curry, Hield, Dame, and Klay. His scoring truly is elite. While I think Shaq thinks he was trying to motivate Mitchell in that interview and light a spark, it didn't come off that way and it was hella awkward. I think they've got a point that he needs to work on at least one aspect of his game beyond scoring to be That Guy but he was a mid first rounder that has exceeded expectations so far and is still getting better. With his length and agility, I don't see why he can't be a better defender. And Utah has some great three point shooters and for all his flaws, Gobert is pretty good on the PnR so he should be picking up more than 4-5 assists per game. 

• Like 1

Cleveland sent troubled Kevin Porter Jr to the Rockets for a "heavily"* protected 2nd Round pick

* per ESPN - The pick is top-55 protected, meaning it is likely never to convey, sources said.