DVDVR Message Board

November 2013 NHL Thread

sabremike

The Whalers had like 30 fans, come on.

You have no fucking clue what you are talking about. They had a fanbase as was proven in 1986, the only year we won a playoff series. The city threw the team a parade, and more people showed up than would show up for any of the Devils cup winning parades. It probably outdrew the toilet bowls parade as well. If the Whalers had ever won a cup the state would've literally shut down.

Dallas' new home jerseys makes me miss The Whale. They had Ron Francis before he was cool.

Why the fuck did they trade him? That has to be one of the worst trades in NHL history, I know he was leading the league in scoring at the time, but they couldn't have honestly thought John Cullen was better? I might be Zarley Zalapski's biggest fan, but I wouldn't trade Ulf Samuelsson for him either. Just, wow, that one did not work out for them.

If the Jets can come back and the Nordiques likely to come back, the Whalers should come back as well.

• Like 1

No the Whale shouldn't come back.  They are stuck being so close to Boston and not that far away from NYC.  I know the Boston Bruins made them change their name from the New England Whalers to the Hartford Whalers back in 1979 I dont know if they can claim territorial rights now or not.  But things could change if some billionaire hockey fan from the area can get a building built and makes some friends but it will never cure the things that hurt small market teams

Dallas' new home jerseys makes me miss The Whale. They had Ron Francis before he was cool.

Why the fuck did they trade him? That has to be one of the worst trades in NHL history, I know he was leading the league in scoring at the time, but they couldn't have honestly thought John Cullen was better? I might be Zarley Zalapski's biggest fan, but I wouldn't trade Ulf Samuelsson for him either. Just, wow, that one did not work out for them.

If the Jets can come back and the Nordiques likely to come back, the Whalers should come back as well.

Francis was seen as a soft guy who couldn't score goals.  Cullen had a big year the year before the trade and was in the midst of a 39/71/110 season when he got traded.  Ulf Samuelsson was seen as a no-talent statue.  At the time of the deal, the hockey press thought Hartford had gotten the better of the deal.  Didn't work out that way, of course.

I refuse to believe that my desires are somehow trumped by "common sense".

As someone who has worked for two actual pro teams in CT, I say you are the one with common sense! Long live the Jets, Long live the Nords and LONG LIVE THE WHALE!
  • Like 1