DVDVR Message Board

November 2013 NHL Thread

sabremike

Phaneuf threw a perfectly clean gorgeous bodycheck tonight and got a penalty for a headshot. It's embarassing the way the game is being called these days.

Also embarassing? The Leafs.

And the Oilers now it seems. But the crowd seems to be ?mockingly? cheering Bryz who just got in so let's see what happens next.

Well, motherfuck. TSN completely losing the NHL is not what I expected to happen. Ray Ferraro better be picked up by either CBC or Sportsnet. Honestly, Duthie too. I assume McKenzie stays with TSN, as he is way too important to their World Juniors coverage to lose.

What does that leave the rights as?

TSN: CFL, World Juniors, Sunday and Monday NFL and anything ESPN does, some Raptors, curling

Sportnet: NHL, Thursday NFL, Sunday afternoon NFL, all Blue Jays and MLB playoffs, CHL

Is the Olympics going to be a joint broadcast by them again?

TSN: CFL, World Juniors, Sunday and Monday NFL and anything ESPN does, some Raptors, curling

Sportnet: NHL, Thursday NFL, Sunday afternoon NFL, all Blue Jays and MLB playoffs, CHL

Sportsnet has CHL until 2014.  One guy I was reading suggested TSN might go after the CHL, and with the way they've built up the WJHCs, turn it into a sort-of Canadian equivalent of the NCAA in the US.  That would be pretty awesome.

BTW, Adrian Dater summed up the whole TSN losing the NHL thing quite well: "I think it says it all that the big scoop about TSN losing its NHL rights to a rival was broken by @TSNBobMcKenzie"  

I love hockey fans

So Bob McKenzie tweets this

Well, that was an interesting, 4+ hour drive home from Sudbury tonite. Could've done it quicker but had to pull over to tweet some news.

And if you expand it you get the following quotes
"
@TSNBobMcKenzie and the news broke many of hearts! #SayItAintSo"
"@TSNBobMcKenzie So what happens with hockey on TSN ?? Don't get why CBC has the rights when they only have 1 channel."
"@TSNBobMcKenzie is the panel still going to exist? This is crazy news"

"@TSNBobMcKenzie not the greatest of news for the TSN family"

and, of course, someone who didn't get the memo/doesn't care
"
@TSNBobMcKenzie how did Horvat look?"

Somehow, that is the greatest summary of hockey fans, really.

Martin Erat has demanded the Caps trade him.

The Caps have said they will try.

Good thing the Caps only gave up their #2 best prospect for him

I will just be over here giggling

Man, Luongo may finish the season at a sub .900 SV% at this rate. Canucks are consistently outshooting their opponents but can't buy a win.

God, I hope TSN losing its NHL rights means Cuthbert replaces that shithouse Lee for the West coast games. 

• Like 1

So, a couple things about the new TV deal

-Rogers RUNS HNIC.  CBC gets to broadcast it for the next four years.  Rogers chooses everything else: editorial content, on-air personnel. etc.

-I thought this would mean the end of Don Cherry (Big corporation looking to distance itself from xenophobic old man actually referred to BY NAME in concussion lawsuit) but some Rogers guy apparently said they would get Cherry onto every Rogers channel they could.

-More/expanded Saturday night coverage.  Instead of being stuck with JUST the Leafs-Habs game at 7:00/4:00 on Saturday nights, Canadian fans will now get a game on CBC, a game on Sportsnet, and a game on Sportsnet 360.

-Bob McKenzie says TSN will still strive to cover the NHL better than anyone else, they just won't be showing NHL games.

-All the extra money likely means a bump by $1-2 million for next year's salary cap.

TSN gets a Sunday afternoon NFL game as well. Add NASCAR and Formula 1 racing to TSN's list, INDYCAR to Sportsnet, and EPL Soccer/MLS for both.

So, a couple things about the new TV deal

-Rogers RUNS HNIC.  CBC gets to broadcast it for the next four years.  Rogers chooses everything else: editorial content, on-air personnel. etc.

-I thought this would mean the end of Don Cherry (Big corporation looking to distance itself from xenophobic old man actually referred to BY NAME in concussion lawsuit) but some Rogers guy apparently said they would get Cherry onto every Rogers channel they could.

-More/expanded Saturday night coverage.  Instead of being stuck with JUST the Leafs-Habs game at 7:00/4:00 on Saturday nights, Canadian fans will now get a game on CBC, a game on Sportsnet, and a game on Sportsnet 360.

-Bob McKenzie says TSN will still strive to cover the NHL better than anyone else, they just won't be showing NHL games.

-All the extra money likely means a bump by $1-2 million for next year's salary cap.

Even if you are offended by Don (I'm not), you SHOULD be offended by people who want to fire him for disagreeing with them. I'm offended by Larry Brooks in the NY Post whining about how much he hates fighting and taking cheap shots at the Sabres and Flyers every chance he gets, but you don't hear me saying he should be fired.