DVDVR Message Board

November 2013 NHL Thread

sabremike

To add another team to the possibly worst of all time list (although it probably is that Caps team) is the 80-81 Winnipeg Jets.

Nine wins in 80 games, gave up exactly 5 goals a game. Managed 14 ties...I'm not sure, was OT in the regular season at this point?

Those early Jets teams had been absolutely devastated by the NHL/WHA merger. The WHA teams were only allowed to hang on to 4 players (two of which had to be goaltenders) and the team that had won the last two Avco Cups had been dismantled.

Notables on the team: Dave Christian led with 71 points (but was -54!), WHA-holdover and captain, Morris Lukowich led with 33 goals.It was Dave Babych's rookie year, he was -61, but had 44 points and would get much, much better.

Lot of future coaches on this team. The other Ron Wilson, Rick Bowness, Barry Melrose, Barry Long, Rick Dudley. And looking over that list I realize that they are all terrible coaches. Which probably explains a lot.

The goaltending, as you'd imagine, was turrable. Ron Loustel gave up 10 goals in his one start. "Best" goalie was Markus Mattsson; 31 games started, 3 wins, team leading 4.50 GA and the season's lone shutout.

Although, this did lead to the Dale Hawerchuk draft, so some good came of it.

Winnipeg got off to a bad start in the NHL.  Their first ever draft pick was a goon where as Quebec drafted Michel Goulet and Dale Hunter in 1979 and the Oilers first 3 picks in 1979 were Kevin Lowe, Mark Messier and Glenn Anderson.  

If Edmonton does start to "try again", I honestly am not sure what pieces I'd even want from them at this point. RNH, sure, but there is no way they'd give him up. I'd like Hall, but no way would the assets we'd offer be enough. Yak is just waaaay to big of a question mark.

Probably just me as a lues fan though, i'm sure other teams would love him on their roster

The Oilers have been "building for the future" for how long now? There current format has failed, due in large part to not moving an asset when they had more value then now to fill there gigantic gaping holes on D, and having no team structure. David Perron, who lost his spot here due to his inconsistant defensive play, became there best defensive forward by a great deal.

I'm not gonna pretend that last offer was great shakes, but it did adress needs: A decent C coming back for RNH, an upgrade on defense, plus a solid prospect to contribute in the future and god damn it I let your troll ass make me type this.

Well played.

• Like 1

Those Eastern Conference sissy Red Wings were easy pickings tonight. If Jimmy's glove hand was very good instead of outstanding, it would have been minimum 7-2. Everyone in the stands figured out "Stop shooting at his glove!!!!", but the guys on the ice did not.

That being said, Bogozian looked like fucking dogshit again tonight. Either he's hurt, or hitting the liquor too hard between games.

Oilers should trade with any team that has a goaltender.  The Oilers are diabolically bad betwen the pipes.  Is Dwayne Roloson still alive?

He has chronic neck issues from all those hard years of whipping his mask off at the slightest hint of a breeze.