DVDVR Message Board

November 2013 NHL Thread

sabremike

Who is/was worse: This years Sabres or the expansion Sens? Was at game last night (#16 of the year for me) and it was awful. Had stupid Rangers fans start crap with me because I was wearing a Gilbert Perrault Sabres jersey. People who go after visiting fans are (for the most part) cowards who only act because they have numbers backing them up. Told them the only reason they are here is because the coat hanger missed.

And this is non NHL, but the Danbury Whalers are having their home opener and banner raising at the Danbury Ice Arena on Saturday at 7PM. If you are in the area and want to have a good time check it out!

Posted Image

If you live in Toledo and were having trouble finding something to do Saturday night (as if), you definitely now want to buy tickets to see the ECHL's Toledo Walleye host the Kalamazoo Wings. It's Star Wars Night. The teams will be wearing these sweaters.

The Walleye are the good guys, so they'll suit up as rebel X-wing fighters. The Wings will rock the Darth Vader look, and presumably enter to the Imperial March. There'll be a whole bunch more, including costume contests for fans, character appearances, and Star Wars-themed concessions, including Jedi Juice (ew) and Yoda Soda (heh).

In comparatively insignificant news, the Stanley Cup will be in the building. Please be the asshole who gives the world a photo of Jar Jar Binks with the Cup.

Who is/was worse: This years Sabres or the expansion Sens? Was at game last night (#16 of the year for me) and it was awful. Had stupid Rangers fans start crap with me because I was wearing a Gilbert Perrault Sabres jersey. People who go after visiting fans are (for the most part) cowards who only act because they have numbers backing them up. Told them the only reason they are here is because the coat hanger missed.

And this is non NHL, but the Danbury Whalers are having their home opener and banner raising at the Danbury Ice Arena on Saturday at 7PM. If you are in the area and want to have a good time check it out!

The first year Washington Capitals with 8 wins in 80 games takes the futility title.  Gave up an average of 5.5 goals a game that year to boot

Told them the only reason they are here is because the coat hanger missed.

LOL Totally stealing this!

I can't believe the Sabres only have 23 goals in 15 games. The Flyers are the only team with fewer goals which is equally as surprising.

As far as all-time bad teams go I still have a soft spot in my heart for the 93 Sharks and Jeff Hackett's 2 wins 30 losses and 5.28 GAA.

Pat fucking Falloon! 

Only thing I don't like about the Sedins' contract is the last year when they're 37/38. Hopefully the cap is way up there by that time. And their style of play should allow them to be quality players for a long time.

• Like 1

Ray Emery more useful as a goon than goalie these days. Weird that nobody on Washington jumped in there to defend Holtby who was down and getting pummeled.

Some of the Caps beat writers are saying that an official kept a couple of the Caps from trying to jump in.

So what is the difference between what Emery did and dragging someone into an ally and beating the shit out of them?

I don't mind fighting in hockey at all but there is no place in the NHL for a guy grabbing another guy who doesn't want to fight and just pummeling him like something out of fucking Slap Shot. That was ridiculous. Like I said on Twitter; as long as the Flyers are a disgrace and embarrassment to the city of Philadelphia, the league, and the sport the Panthers don't look so bad.

As far as all-time bad teams go I still have a soft spot in my heart for the 93 Sharks and Jeff Hackett's 2 wins 30 losses and 5.28 GAA.

Pat fucking Falloon! 

Only thing I don't like about the Sedins' contract is the last year when they're 37/38. Hopefully the cap is way up there by that time. And their style of play should allow them to be quality players for a long time.

Obligatory Like for any Pat Falloon reference. It boggles my mind that, teammates on that really good Spokane Chiefs team, Falloon flamed out so quickly and Ray Whitney (?!) of all players has stuck around for 20 years.

I loved those early 90s Sharks teams, I remember feeling so happy when they had that ridiculous upset playoff win against the Wings after being so, so terrible those first few years. If only I knew then what lay in store for that damned franchise.

To add another team to the possibly worst of all time list (although it probably is that Caps team) is the 80-81 Winnipeg Jets.

Nine wins in 80 games, gave up exactly 5 goals a game. Managed 14 ties...I'm not sure, was OT in the regular season at this point?

Those early Jets teams had been absolutely devastated by the NHL/WHA merger. The WHA teams were only allowed to hang on to 4 players (two of which had to be goaltenders) and the team that had won the last two Avco Cups had been dismantled.

Notables on the team: Dave Christian led with 71 points (but was -54!), WHA-holdover and captain, Morris Lukowich led with 33 goals.It was Dave Babych's rookie year, he was -61, but had 44 points and would get much, much better.

Lot of future coaches on this team. The other Ron Wilson, Rick Bowness, Barry Melrose, Barry Long, Rick Dudley. And looking over that list I realize that they are all terrible coaches. Which probably explains a lot.

The goaltending, as you'd imagine, was turrable. Ron Loustel gave up 10 goals in his one start. "Best" goalie was Markus Mattsson; 31 games started, 3 wins, team leading 4.50 GA and the season's lone shutout.

Although, this did lead to the Dale Hawerchuk draft, so some good came of it.

So what is the difference between what Emery did and dragging someone into an ally and beating the shit out of them?

I don't mind fighting in hockey at all but there is no place in the NHL for a guy grabbing another guy who doesn't want to fight and just pummeling him like something out of fucking Slap Shot. That was ridiculous. Like I said on Twitter; as long as the Flyers are a disgrace and embarrassment to the city of Philadelphia, the league, and the sport the Panthers don't look so bad.

Emery even said afterwards that Holtby didn't want to fight but he told him he didn't have a choice.

I'd be surprised if there was any discipline