DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 12/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Good to see Toni getting her groove back.  She seemed to have lost her fastball the last year or so.  Dunne/O'Reilly was great as expected although I'm a little surprised they're doing a Finn/O'Reilly rematch.  Rest of show was really solid other than a pretty shaky performance by Indi Hartwell.

I always love seeing Toni and Rhea take each other on. Such good chemistry. And the Rise of Raquel continues which is a good thing. 

There's just something about Shotzi that I love. She's got to be my current NXT fave. Glad to see things continue with her and Candice. 

I don't think Indi is ready for primetime but she's a good lackey for Candice.

Both Rhea/Toni and Kyle/Dunne ruled. I hope they pull the trigger on Kyle winning the title leading to Cole/Kyle at Takeover Mania.

Rust Taylor is awesome. I've only seen him once in the ROH Pure tourney but him, Thatcher and Bivens have potential.

Need to get some belts around the waists of The Way so WWE can pay Fastball $400 to play on a Takeover.

Anyone can see the road that they walk on is paved with gold
And it's always summer
They'll never get cold
They'll never get hungry
They'll never get old and gray

Dunne/O'Reilly was pretty darn good. I only wish Dunne had won since I really wanted to see him vs. Finn. Still can't exactly complain about a rematch between O'Reilly & Finn. Dug the chaos of the tag division spilling over before the match. I assume they are setting up the next Dusty Classic.

Bivens getting some tv tv is nice to see.

I'm not sure why one of Ever Rise was trying to start a fight with the backstage interviewer, but I kind of want that ridiculousness to continue.

Xia Li being forced retrain via slow torture/murder of Boa is something. I'm really not sure what to think of all of this. It leaves me confused and slightly amused every week we see it. Still wondering who the master is supposed to be. Are we even going to see her, or just bring back Xia and Boa as brainwashed, dangerous badasses?

Shotzi/Indi was ok while it lasted. I like Indi with the Way, but she still feels lacking in the ring.

Rhea/Toni was nice, probably the best match the two have had against each other due to how much Rhea has grown in NXT the past year. Dug the finish with Raquel. Will be interesting to see who challenges Io first between Raquel & Toni.

Balor/Dunne was my preference but I'm still happy with Balor/O'Reilly II. Balor/O'Reilly from NXT TakeOver 31 is still my NXT MOTY, runner up to my WWE MOTY (Styles vs. Bryan, 12th June Smackdown) and one of the best MOTY worldwide.

Edited by The Natural

Not really digging The Way as a foursome, but the Garganos are my favorite characters on NXT right now, so hopefully Hartwell and Theory can hold up their ends as goons/straight men.  Indie, in particular, needs more time in the ring, so Candice's toadie is probably the best use of her right now.

Edited by Eoae
I need to start proof-reading before I post

I very rarely watch AEW and NXT back to back or flip over and catch the end of NXT but did last night. 

Holy shit is it just a jarring difference in execution. NXT is so goddamn bright, there were muscular woman wearing leather and a mountain of makeup fighting each other, video screens everywhere, a billion camera cuts. It's just so unsubtle and loud. Usually WWE presentation doesn't bother me too much but it was so excessive. 

It was so different from AEW which is shot normally, the wrestlers are presented normally and is not the deranged sex dreams of a leather fetishist. 

Edited by Hagan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

I very rarely watch AEW and NXT back to back or flip over and catch the end of NXT but did last night. 

Holy shit is it just a jarring difference in execution. NXT is so goddamn bright, there were muscular woman wearing leather and a mountain of makeup fighting each other, video screens everywhere, a billion camera cuts. It's just so unsubtle and loud. Usually WWE presentation doesn't bother me too much but it was so excessive. 

It was so different from AEW which is shot normally, the wrestlers are presented normally and is not the deranged sex dreams of a leather fetishist. 

The amount of makeup worn by the WWE women is oddly enough a big part of what turned me off their product. Its so unnatural.

Edited by Wyld Samurai

NXT time! No counter-programming, my ass!

Not even an intro and The Way we go! Made breakfast during the opener, so missed a part of it, but Theory looked really good. That backwards leaping cutter from the top by Ruff was fantastic. The new finisher (?) by Theory was spectacular as well, but let's see you do THAT to Killian Dane or Bronson Reed! Kushida was a bit of an afterthought in this one, unless I missed something important while boiling eggs.

Shotzi has been affected by the loss at WarGames, whether she admits it or not! You can she her hair color fading. That's stress, right there! OR she's super jealous of Candice's trophy, but you know she'll never admit to that!

Toni Storm cuts a decent promo on Ripley! They are two a piece right now, so this would indeed be the deciding encounter between them. Could go either way, really. I think Gonzales will be there, too!

Legado del Phantasma has words. So far, none of those words have been Jordan, or Devlin.

Holy shit, Tyler Rust! What a showing by this guy! Ciampa had to dig way deeper than he expected, even showing a bit of desperation at times. Weird flippy finishers this week. What was that one? A snapmare bomb? Didn't get the three, though! Good ending with a secondary finisher, but a super strong cover. Rust's selling afterwards was super! "Am I paralyzed? I know I'm concussed, but am I also fucking paralyzed?" Bivens picked a good prospect here, better than the Indian Tigers, for sure! By the way, did they say Grimes was shut up for 4 to 6 weeks? Did they have to wire his mouth shut, or something? Put a cast on his tongue? Otherwise, I don't see that happening.

Doom's Day is still coming! Hell yeah, it is! And there's no Keith Lee to try and stop it this time around! You guys are so fucked! Hey, I want Dunne vs Balor, but that's like a forgone conclusion. Who ever is the champion, must answer to Kross and they will not like the questions!

Lumis seems to have plan for New Year's Evil, or a scetch, anyway. I wonder who he has in mind this time?

Ok, Dunne vs O'Reilly! And there's your tag team match for NYE, to get the extra people out of the way. No commercials for this one. Nor counter programming. Get the fuck outta here with that BS. Not that I'm complaining. In previous matches, Dunne has come out on top, so O'Reilly really need to win this one, although I'm rooting for Dunne, obviously. Hehe, a tug of war! These guys are amazing! Teasing a package piledriver? Shades of Killer Karl Kox with the brainbuster! Oh, hi there, JR! OMG that suplex! Suplex to the damn floor, or was that a DDT? That used to be a finisher back in the day! STFU, JR! Sick knee to the back of the neck! Yeah, KOR earned that one!

Ripley calls Toni Storm trash. You may live to regret those words!

Xia Li had better win a match after all this, is all I can say!

Indi vs Shotzi up next. The tank obviously levelled up, since the unfortunate run in with Garganos' car. Did Shotzi's hair bounce back, too? You broke the trophy! See what you did! That will get your head stomped on!

Hey, Bronson Reed overcame Covid! Wonderful news!

Not so wonderful news for Desmond Troy. Huge guy and gets nothing. Kross' clavicle looks like mine. Hopefully it's just a cosmetic problem at this point. Tick Tock, Priest!

Ever Rise yelling and Swerve turning backstage. Balor saying KOR will lose, again!

Main event time, we'll see who's trash! How dare Ripley say such a thing about someone who wears two sets of fishnets for ensurance? That's the opposite of! Powerful dropkick by Ripley! Here's Gonzales! Lawn dart into the post! Storm Zero for the win. Not an epic win for Toni, there, but she can now claim to have gotten better of Rhea Ripley in their rivalry.

I wonder if Gonzales is the one to finally run Rhea out of NXT? 2020 sure has been a nightmare year for Ripley! That goes for us all, but still!

Very Gargano Christmas next week. I can't wait...no, actually I'm pretty sure I can! A lot of good stuff again, this week.