DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (with Special Guest Star Don Callis) - 12/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I hate the numbers game favoring the faces / tweens in this Death Triangle + Lance Archer vs. The Family feud.  King needs to bring in another guy to even the sides.

I know they are teasing Archer to screw Pac over just to get to Kingston first, but I hope it doesn't happen.  I like Archer as an alpha predator tweener as opposed to being a straight heel.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I'm kind of bummed at the late start.  If it was just me that cared I'd watch it live but with my wife being all about AEW and her working early the next day I'll likely be watching the next day.  And yes I know it's Christmas Eve the next day and I'm off but last time I watched an episode without her I slept on the couch.  To be fair it's a comfy couch but it's the principle of it all.  Now that said I'm sure I can figure out how they'll all play out so I'll likely check this thread anyway.

And this might be a hot take but as much as I love Sting and realize the effect he had on ratings I hope they give it at least a couple weeks before he comes back out.  Now with the next couple weeks being holiday themed you can get away with that so maybe him coming out while Snoop's commentating would be cool.  But I just wouldn't do every week from here on out.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Haha 3

Tony's gotta lay off the Stiiiiiiing stuff. It was awesome the first time, then Stanger got him to do it, which was cute, but it was played out last night. 

I doubt I'll have time but Bucks/Celtics -> Dynamite is a choice one-two punch next week. 

• Like 4

I'm just not sure the point of paying Sting to be a "full-time" player at 61 years old when he can't really wrestle. Sure, sign him to do a few shows and cinematic matches or whatever. But it really seems counter-intuitive.

All the initial hype and intrigue of Sting in AEW has worn off. This is the extent of what he can do. 

Now yes, in terms of merchandise and marketing appeal, I can see the value in having a relationship with Sting, but as a TV character...I dunno. I've never seen Sting as a strong manager or mentor type of guy on TV. That never worked out well for Vampiro or Abyss. I don't see how it will help Darby Allin.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

-189K for AEW actually.

Thats worse they had a drop of almost 200,000 people. I thought it was a good show and thats from someone who had technical issues with the program throughout. I flipped to NXT to check off and on and NXT was perfect so I think McMahon paid off the cable companies.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Thats worse they had a drop of almost 200,000 people. I thought it was a good show and thats from someone who had technical issues with the program throughout. I flipped to NXT to check off and on and NXT was perfect so I think McMahon paid off the cable companies.

I would've made the big tag match the main event and put Omega/Janela as the opener or something because it's Omega vs. Janela. Wasn't really a big main event match and mostly just Omega squashing Janela and Janela as the sacrificial lamb again. 

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Tony's gotta lay off the Stiiiiiiing stuff. It was awesome the first time, then Stanger got him to do it, which was cute, but it was played out last night. 

I doubt I'll have time but Bucks/Celtics -> Dynamite is a choice one-two punch next week. 

Yup. Bit cringe when its so forced.

Acclaimed are a lot of fun. So many vanilla teams by comparison: they had a great entrance vs Jon Cruz & Michael Nakazawa on Dark recently. Great mid-card novelty heel act. One of the best entrance themes on the show too. Little bit of the New Age Outlaws brought into 21st C. -- will be good when there's a crowd there too.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I hate the numbers game favoring the faces / tweens in this Death Triangle + Lance Archer vs. The Family feud.  King needs to bring in another guy to even the sides.

I know they are teasing Archer to screw Pac over just to get to Kingston first, but I hope it doesn't happen.  I like Archer as an alpha predator tweener as opposed to being a straight heel.

King needs to bring in Homicide to even the sides.

• Like 11

On 12/16/2020 at 12:21 PM, EVA said:

I really want to hear from or see Moxley soon.  After getting fucked out of his title, I feel like his character would come back for vengeance in a hurry, not disappear without a sound for any length of time.

I wonder if it's that he's going through quanarantine protocol to make it to Japan to defend his other title there

Voldemort 2 aka would everyone please stop name dropping him on camera kinda sorta spoiled Moxley dropping the title at some presser a week or days ahead of the title switch.

Something to the effect of mox is free to wrestle where he chooses but people think he's heading to Japan to defend the belt there are thinking he can lose to omega and thats not gonna happen 

(Pardon my extremely shitty paraphrasing here, im almost sure someone transcribed it or posted the link to Vold2 saying that)

So by not spoiling the title change, he kinda confirmed all the speculation at least in my eyes that okay if moxley isn't losing and isn't going to Japan, then yes he is going to Japan because he just lost

Kinda confusing to follow, apologies to everyone. I'm no one's shadow but if I were gonna speculate about moxleys whereabouts, unless we see him do a random interview online somewhere, I'd take a total stab in the dark that maybe he's just doing isolation protocol and testing so he can make it to Japan for the Kenta match maybe?

• Like 1

Thought this was a solid show with nothing too major happening. Cody/Angelico was fun and I liked the women's tag. 12 man tag was pretty cool. Sting walking out then just turning around and leaving was odd. Enjoyed the main event of Kenny just beating up Janela for the most part, the moonsault with the trash can looked killer.  Hope the next set of holiday shows deliver for them with Late Night Dynamite next week. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Once again I'm left with the weirdest takeaway - Griff Garrison looks like a star? Am I the only person seeing this?

I've been onboard with the IVY LEAGUE MVP since day one, he's one of my favorite up and comers.

Not getting all of The Acclaimed hate. They're great at what they do, but I'm not sure why exactly they're heels (at least that's what I'm perceiving). Big thumbs up for the MEN ON A MISSION reference.

Also I'm not sure which I like the most, Rappin' Kazarian, Anger Management Kazarian, or Blackjack Lanza Kazarian.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I've been onboard with the IVY LEAGUE MVP since day one, he's one of my favorite up and comers.

JR was comparing Griff to Edge last night. But I think it would be more fun to compare him to a young Barry Windham, when he was a skinny lad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

JR was comparing Griff to Edge last night. But I think it would be more fun to compare him to a young Barry Windham, when he was a skinny lad.

This is a weird one, but for some reason Griff's face reminds me of Chris Nowinski on Raw circa 2002. Maybe it's the whole ivy league thing.