DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (with Special Guest Star Don Callis) - 12/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Can we stop comparing today's wrestlers with wrestlers of yesteryear based primarily on race?  Ross said that Sammy Guevara reminded him of a young Eddie Guerrero and I was like "why?  Oh, because he's Mexican."  Ross' justification was because he's athletic and charismatic.  How many athletic, charismatic wrestlers have we seen over the years?  Why couldn't JR compare Sammy to them?  Why did it have to be Eddie?  FUCK, Sammy doesn't even speak Spanish. 

Same with the posters here who are all "Will Hobbs reminds me of Ice Train."  HEY GUYS HE'S BIG AND BLACK!  God damn.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Ross isn't the first person to make the Sammy/Eddie comp though. Ross also didn't just point out that it's because he's athletic and charismatic. I believe some of the comparisons have been made to Eddie's ring awareness, the strength in each guys thighs, swagger, fire, and balance.

Sammy isn't even Mexican and Ross knows that, but I can see how that can come across as each guy appears Mexican so this guy is obviously the next Eddie Guerrero.

For what it's worth, I really do think Sammy is the next Eddie. I'm not going to hear any stuff about how someone shouldn't be the next this, they should be the first whatever. That defeats the purpose of the comparison. It's astounding when you look at everything Sammy can do right now and realize how young Sammy is and if he's stays healthy, he's going to be even better. We're talking best in the world levels of quality. The only three wrestlers I can think off the top of my head who appeared to be that special were Benoit, Guerrero, and Angle and each of those guys suffered a tragic end or nearly suffered a tragic ending. I'm fairly confident that Sammy avoids a similar fate because his head is screwed on differently. He doesn't appear to be someone who is going to abuse steroids and HGH or take reckless bumps to his head. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Can we stop comparing today's wrestlers with wrestlers of yesteryear based primarily on race?  Ross said that Sammy Guevara reminded him of a young Eddie Guerrero and I was like "why?  Oh, because he's Mexican."  Ross' justification was because he's athletic and charismatic.  How many athletic, charismatic wrestlers have we seen over the years?  Why couldn't JR compare Sammy to them?  Why did it have to be Eddie?  FUCK, Sammy doesn't even speak Spanish. 

Same with the posters here who are all "Will Hobbs reminds me of Ice Train."  HEY GUYS HE'S BIG AND BLACK!  God damn.

Yeah, I have never understood why JR cannot compliment a worker on his natural ability without some other ethnic point of reference that may or man not be accurate.

Sammy does not remind me of Eddie.   Eddie had a solid Lucha base with a lot of British catch wrestling thrown in.

Sammy, IMO, has the style of a really good Dragon's Gate junior worker.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I agree, but this happens in sport all of the time.  I'm sure if you get a black left handed QB that runs well...they'll automatically compare him to Michael Vick.

But I don't see the comparison between Guevara and Eddy other than they are Hispanic.  Guevara is more of the modern day wrestler with a high spot style and Eddy was a lucharesu style.  Eddy was short and well built together, Sammy is taller and skinnier.  

Unfortunately it's a way of life, but it's something that has always annoyed me and when I hear JR make this comparison I groan because it's a bad comparison.

HoC

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I don't like it any more than you do, but for what it's worth, Jericho was the first to make the Eddy comparison when he was introducing the Inner Circle during their first promo together. So in this particular case, there's a little bit of gray area there in that it might be a talking point about Sammy that they're simply trying to get over. But to reiterate, I agree with your original point - totally outdated and dumb.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don't like it any more than you do, but for what it's worth, Jericho was the first to make the Eddy comparison when he was introducing the Inner Circle during their first promo together. So in this particular case, there's a little bit of gray area there in that it might be a talking point about Sammy that they're simply trying to get over. But to reiterate, I agree with your original point - totally outdated and dumb.

I just want to say I always get a kick out of your coked-up Ray Liotta avatar.

KAAAAAAARENNNNN WHY DID YOU DO THAT KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARENNNNNNNNNN

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I just want to say I always get a kick out of your coked-up Ray Liotta avatar.

KAAAAAAARENNNNN WHY DID YOU DO THAT KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARENNNNNNNNNN

Probably all the Karens running around these days make it even more enjoyable?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Can we stop comparing today's wrestlers with wrestlers of yesteryear based primarily on race?  Ross said that Sammy Guevara reminded him of a young Eddie Guerrero and I was like "why?  Oh, because he's Mexican."

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Sammy isn't even Mexican and Ross knows that, but I can see how that can come across as each guy appears Mexican so this guy is obviously the next Eddie Guerrero.

Exactly. He's Cuban.

10 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

He reminds me a lot of a young man I used to work with, a young man who went by the name of Razor Ramon.

This guy?

Spoiler

Hard Gay (Creator) - TV Tropes

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 12/17/2020 at 5:39 PM, TheVileOne said:

-189K for AEW actually.

The ratings pattern for the show was simply awful this week FWIW.

Stolen from somewhere, NXT included as some might be curious:

P2+ / P18-49

AEW

Q1: 1.010 / 512k (Hangman/Dark Order vs Hardy Party)
Q2: 826k / 410k (IC interview, Cody/Brandi announcement, very start of Cody/Angelico)
Q3: 843k / 405k (Cody/Angelico, post match w/Sting, Eddie/PAC/Archer brawl)
Q4: 835k / 413k (Dustin promo and 6 v 6)
Q5: 726k / 400k (back end of 6 v 6 and Rosa/Britt segment)
Q6: 746k / 399k (SCU vs Acclaimed and Top Flight interview)
Q7: 741k / 406k (Ivelisse/Diamante vs Swole/Deeb)
Q8: 718k / 419k (Omega vs Janela)

NXT

Q1: 743k / 230k (The Way vs KUSHIDA/Ruff)
Q2: 734k / 247k (Legado promo, Shotzi promo, start of Rust/Ciampa)
Q3: 695k / 223k (rest of Rust/Ciampa and GYV promo piece)
Q4: 742k / 246k (start of Dunne/O'Reilly)
Q5: 843k / 293k (second half of Dunne/O'Reilly)
Q6: 801k / 271k (Rhea interview, Xia Li vid, Shotzi/Hartwell)
Q7: 764k / 251k (Kross vs Troy, Isaiah Scott interview, Ever Rise interview)
Q8: 772k / 241k (Ripley vs Storm)

That's approaching a 30% audience drop from start to finish with your champ who is theoretically in the hottest angle in the company in the main. That's also the same main doing the worst quarter for the entire show.

I think the solution is quite obvious: fire Joey Janela into the sun.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, username said:

The ratings pattern for the show was simply awful this week FWIW.

Stolen from somewhere, NXT included as some might be curious:

P2+ / P18-49

AEW

Q1: 1.010 / 512k (Hangman/Dark Order vs Hardy Party)
Q2: 826k / 410k (IC interview, Cody/Brandi announcement, very start of Cody/Angelico)
Q3: 843k / 405k (Cody/Angelico, post match w/Sting, Eddie/PAC/Archer brawl)
Q4: 835k / 413k (Dustin promo and 6 v 6)
Q5: 726k / 400k (back end of 6 v 6 and Rosa/Britt segment)
Q6: 746k / 399k (SCU vs Acclaimed and Top Flight interview)
Q7: 741k / 406k (Ivelisse/Diamante vs Swole/Deeb)
Q8: 718k / 419k (Omega vs Janela)

NXT

Q1: 743k / 230k (The Way vs KUSHIDA/Ruff)
Q2: 734k / 247k (Legado promo, Shotzi promo, start of Rust/Ciampa)
Q3: 695k / 223k (rest of Rust/Ciampa and GYV promo piece)
Q4: 742k / 246k (start of Dunne/O'Reilly)
Q5: 843k / 293k (second half of Dunne/O'Reilly)
Q6: 801k / 271k (Rhea interview, Xia Li vid, Shotzi/Hartwell)
Q7: 764k / 251k (Kross vs Troy, Isaiah Scott interview, Ever Rise interview)
Q8: 772k / 241k (Ripley vs Storm)

That's approaching a 30% audience drop from start to finish with your champ who is theoretically in the hottest angle in the company in the main. That's also the same main doing the worst quarter for the entire show.

I think the solution is quite obvious: fire Joey Janela into the sun.

Yeah, I would've started off Dynamite with Omega/Janela. Not sure if ratings would've done better, but making that match your main event was a mistake. Everyone knew Janela was playing a sacrificial lamb. It didn't need to be the headliner. You still could've had the set up for Death Triangle/Omega at the end of the show. Just my fantasy booker 2 cents.

Secondly, I think we've seen the extent of Sting's drawing power at this point as a TV character. 

Edited by TheVileOne

26 minutes ago, just drew said:

Kenneth Omega losing viewers? Hmmm. Whomever could have for seen this...

Although, I mean, AEW Winter is Coming just drew over 900k and more than 0.4 in the demo with... I forget. Was there a big main event title match on that show or something? 

And Impact just drew by far their biggest recent numbers, multiple times their usual audience on December 7th with... I don't watch Impact, did anyone make a special guest appearance on that show? Something certainly moved the needle.

I guess you were too busy that week to pop in and remind us how Kenny simply isn't a draw outside of Japan. ? Good thing you made it back! I'd almost forgotten.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

.... I had no idea people were this attached to Kenneth. I don’t personally know anyone that excited to watch him or thinks he’s good for business, but do you. I think long term having such a niche guy as champion is dumb, but I guess some people are excited. Color me unimpressed that dude moved a number on Twitch. The way I understand it, 12 year olds with an Xbox do that regularly...

ITT someone doesn't realize that the top Twitch streamer is actually a leftist who used to be on the Young Turks who rarely plays video games at all.

And he didn't just move the needle on Twitch, I'm pretty sure their YouTube numbers were way up, and IIRC so was their actual TV rating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please stop making me look at Cody when I don't have to. I try to go Cody-free throughout the rest of the week so I can handle Wednesdays.

Has anybody once made the claim that Kenny is as big of a draw as the guy that was heavily featured in WWE for 6 years? Omega has proven that he's got a solid fanbase, but putting him in there with Janela in an extended squash match for his first main event spot after winning the title is even harsher than the typical Kane post-mania match that Vince loves to throw at his newly crowned champions. He's not going to be an automatic boost to the ratings and it'll take time for him to become a bigger draw. The angle was a nice way of adding some sizzle to that. Janela, not so much. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

I think Kenny vs Fenix, with a 2 week build, will probably be a better indicator of Kenny's drawing power for those with any doubts.

I expect they will do a decent number for that show. Arguably, Winter Is Coming and the following week were abnormal ratings for AEW with all the buzz from the major angles and reveals on Winter Is Coming, plus Shaq's appearance.

More interesting will be how they do with the late-night show with an NBA lead-in.