DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - 2021 SPRING & OFFSEASON

RIPPA

So…as the day has progressed, I’ll say that a lot of credible people are saying the smoke is real here. It appears that the leak may have come from Texas A&M, who obviously wants to blow this up.

Texas and OU need 75% of the vote to be approved as new conference members, and A&M and Mizzou will likely be firmly against them. Just need two more schools to veto all this. Texas will have to concede a lot and check their ego at the door to pull this off.

Regardless of if this SEC move happens, it seems clear that Texas an OU do not intend to be in the Big 12 beyond 2025, one way or another.

8 hours ago, EVA said:

Regardless of if this SEC move happens, it seems clear that Texas an OU do not intend to be in the Big 12 beyond 2025, one way or another.

Yeah the thing I saw this morning is that at a minimum both schools will be notifying the Big 12 that they will not be renewing their media contracts 

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

So Texas is trying to destroy 2 major conferences in their lifetime with the SWAC (I think that is what it was called) and the Big 12?

I just lost my shit picturing Texas in a conference with HBCUs like Grambling, Southern, Prairie View A&M, Alcorn State etc.

And then I envisioned the very real possibility that pre-integration Texas would be losing a bunch of those games to said HBCUs and their campus looking like a Herschell Gordon Lewis movie from all of the exploding heads.

11 hours ago, EVA said:

So…as the day has progressed, I’ll say that a lot of credible people are saying the smoke is real here. It appears that the leak may have come from Texas A&M, who obviously wants to blow this up.

Texas and OU need 75% of the vote to be approved as new conference members, and A&M and Mizzou will likely be firmly against them. Just need two more schools to veto all this. Texas will have to concede a lot and check their ego at the door to pull this off.

I think this old school mentality of bitterness and blocking of schools (think FSU/Clemson/Ga Tech) from joining mentality died about a decade ago once the revenue started coming in a major way probably changes things. I think these schools no longer care about old school bitterness. They care about dollar signs. Texas and Oklahoma exponentially improve the SEC's botom line (as if it already needed it).

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Not official but the idea that the network is thinking about divisions and it hasn't even happened yet tells you this is kind of a done deal

I made that same alignment in NCAA 2014! I don't think the conference champion ever won more than 9 games and half the conference would end up 5-7.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That pod idea seems needlessly complicated.  Just add Texas and Oklahoma to the West, move Bama and Auburn to the East, flip Mizzou to the West...boom, two well-balanced, geographically sensible divisions that eliminate the need for a locked inter-division game because Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, and Georgia are all in the same division now.

Definitley expand to 9 games though.

I would be in favor of doing away with divisions, but then you’re bringing back the locked games (which most teams hate) because there just can’t be a year where you don’t play the Iron Bowl, Red River, Cocktail Party, etc. Thats not college football anymore.

3 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I made that same alignment in NCAA 2014! I don't think the conference champion ever won more than 9 games and half the conference would end up 5-7.

As it should be! Fuck em!

52 minutes ago, EVA said:

That pod idea seems needlessly complicated.  Just add Texas and Oklahoma to the West, move Bama and Auburn to the East, flip Mizzou to the West...boom, two well-balanced, geographically sensible divisions that eliminate the need for a locked inter-division game because Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, and Georgia are all in the same division now.

Definitley expand to 9 games though.

Needlessly complicated? Sounds perfect for college football.

This has to be a scary time for those Big 12 schools on the plains.  If this happens and the Big 12 blows up, places like Oklahoma/Iowa/Kansas State are not going to be desirable commodities to the B1G, ACC, or PAC-12.  Their best case scenario might be the AAC...and a more realistic option might be the Mountain West, a conference that is, itself, nearing self-destruct.

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

This has to be a scary time for those Big 12 schools on the plains.  If this happens and the Big 12 blows up, places like Oklahoma/Iowa/Kansas State are not going to be desirable commodities to the B1G, ACC, or PAC-12.  Their best case scenario might be the AAC...and a more realistic option might be the Mountain West, a conference that is, itself, nearing self-destruct.

If Texas and OU bolt the Big 12 will absorb schools from the AAC and MWC, kind of like how the Big East(current AAC) went and added C-USA teams after the ACC raids.

Selfishly I would hope that West Virginia would get to moved to the ACC.  it should have been the place originally but they weren't interested in expanding

The problem with going to the AAC is that it has been proven that no matter how good you are in that conference you will be lucky to be the 12th seed in the playoffs

3 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

If Texas and OU bolt the Big 12 will absorb schools from the AAC and MWC, kind of like how the Big East(current AAC) went and added C-USA teams after the ACC raids.

They will definitley look into that. Problem is, there likely isn’t enough $$$/prestige in the AAC/MWC schools available for them to pilfer to offset the horrendous financial/prestige loss they’re going to eat when Texas and OU leaves. You’re going to see other schools that may have options (like Kansas) try to jump off the boat before it goes down, rather than resign themselves to being  part of a newly-minted Group of 6 conference.

Like, Boise State and UNLV and Central Florida and Houston and whoever else are not getting you that Texas/OU TV money.

This is getting closer and closer to my dream of all the good teams joining together and saying, "Fuck the NCAA, let's just pay players to come and play against each other."  It is legitimately the only viable college football idea that makes sense going forward.  We already have a game with only 5 real championship contenders, and 5 to 10 who can move in and out of contention.  Those teams have no obligation to the 100+ other schools and are just costing themselves money by propping them up year after year.  As we all know, these sports only exist to make a profit, why would the high profit programs continue to pay for the low profit programs?

• Like 2

I think Kansas' geography and the omnishambles that is their football program leave them with fewer options than you would think.

As I recall the last time it looked like the Big 12 would fall apart the consensus was that KU would probably get an offer from the AAC but it was unlikely any bigger conferences would be interested.

23 minutes ago, EVA said:

They will definitley look into that. Problem is, there likely isn’t enough $$$/prestige in the AAC/MWC schools available for them to pilfer to offset the horrendous financial/prestige loss they’re going to eat when Texas and OU leaves. You’re going to see other schools that may have options (like Kansas) try to jump off the boat before it goes down, rather than resign themselves to being  part of a newly-minted Group of 6 conference.

Like, Boise State and UNLV and Central Florida and Houston and whoever else are not getting you that Texas/OU TV money.

What options does Kansas have? The ACC is going to be waiting at the alter for Notre Dame until the end of time, even if ND decided to join Kansas would be way down the list of contenders. The PAC12 needs to add a team with a football program people want to watch and Kansas doesn't have that, plus I doubt the politicians in Kansas would allow the Jayhawks to be in a conference with the likes of Cal-Berkley, UCLA, Oregon and so on.

True that BSU, Cincy, UCF and Houston won't bring in Texas/OU money, but the table scraps the Big 12 leftovers would get by adding schools like that will be more than chilling in the AAC with the likes of East Carolina, Temple, Tulsa and Tulane.

Edited by Mister TV

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I could so easily see the Big 10 wanting West Virginia.

WVU couldn't even get a sniff from the ACC due to their academic standing, there's no way the Big Ten would even include the Mountaineers on a last resort list. West Virginia lucked into the Big 12 due to them desperately needing a team to get up to 10.

The Big 10 wants to expand southeast but to places where people actually live, like Virginia(UVA), North Carolina(UNC) and Georgia(GT), but many many factors will keep that from every happening.

Edited by Mister TV

Kansas brings the elite-tier basketball chip to the table, which does matter even if football gets most of the attention, and the university overall is a strong cultural/academic match for the B1G, which matters a lot to the B1G and their, um, highly idealized self-concept.  If the B1G starts looking to add 2, based on what schools would actually be available to them, Kansas would be a strong candidate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVA said:

Kansas brings the elite-tier basketball chip to the table, which does matter even if football gets most of the attention, and the university overall is a strong cultural/academic match for the B1G, which matters a lot to the B1G and their, um, highly idealized self-concept.  If the B1G starts looking to add 2, based on what schools would actually be available to them, Kansas would be a strong candidate.

I don't think the Big 10 is going to expand just to expand like they did with Rutgers and Maryland, they'll wait at the alter with the ACC for Notre Dame's hand and if the Irish join up that'll be the only team they add(same if ND would join the ACC).

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

WVU couldn't even get a sniff from the ACC due to their academic standing, there's no way the Big Ten would even include the Mountaineers on a last resort list. West Virginia lucked into the Big 12 due to them desperately needing a team to get up to 10.

The Big 10 wants to expand southeast but to places where people actually live, like Virginia(UVA), North Carolina(UNC) and Georgia(GT), but many many factors will keep that from every happening.

WVU has upgraded their academic programs since then and pumped a fair bit of money into upgrading athletic facilities (and some academic bldgs.).  No idea if that would be enough to interest ACC or Big 10 or not.  I'm skeptical we could compete in Big 10 (in football.

They could very well elect not to expand, but if they move, they’ll go to 16. And I do think Notre Dame will be a big piece of that. If you get ND football, then Kansas basketball as a throw-in just makes too much sense, for the reasons I gave. It gets a little harder to find a second team that’s worth it without Notre Dame, if B1G is going to strictly adhere to their concept of what “a B1G school” is.

I can guarantee you that Kansas isn’t getting left without a P4 dance partner when this dosey-doe is over, though.

I get Kansas basketball, but I'm 40 years old and haven't spent more than 10 minutes in my entire life thinking about Kansas football.  Seriously, they haven't has shit going on since Gale Sayers left.