DVDVR Message Board

TNAEW Dynamite - 12/9/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On 12/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What a waste of Sting during that time. Do you remember when they didn’t get Sting to record ADR for a shit video package, so they got Ziggler to record it, and lowered the pitch on his voice?

That must’ve been a last minute Vince idea. Like legit probably at the top of the show last minute.

This is the first time I've seen this video. I don't know how I missed it before, but, like, just get Sting to record a few lines for it. Again, WWE is king of missing the easiest layups, but I'm not sure what I was expecting from Vince who didn't even think Sting would be over because he was in WCW and WWE fans wouldn't be familiar with Sting.

We're only two Sting appearances in, but from his presentation to his music to just cutting a promo, I'm already digging this more than his whole WWE run, which was basically used to again show how WWE was better than WCW.

• Like 2

I think Sting's AEW music sucks (most of the themes do -- hardly any distinctive/individual riffs & hooks) - but the old violin theme in WCW set impossibly high standards. Top 10 contender, possibly. WWE theme was v poor too though.

Edited by A_K

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’d take Sting’s original crow theme over it, but I still think the new theme might be his 2nd best career theme ever. It’s a damn good trans-Siberian Orchestra knock-off.

Crow theme was an iconic creation; S&D was great metal (not my genre but appreciate the standing). This is kind of like a bleh knock-off of the two with pretty weird pacing and too much going on that gets way away from itself after about 45 seconds in following the corny drum crescendo. The 'golden era' of 90s/00s themes (be they the WCW-licensed / knock off but hugely effective ones, or epic Johnston WWF/E originals) were gorgeous in their simplicity and catchiness; too much 'noise' in a lot of these without the distinctive hook. But to each their own.

Edited by A_K

Finally watched the whole show.

- The Bucks match was just ridiculous, everything looked incredibly contrived and goofy. We all make fun of Kenny for his jazz hands style of working but the Bucks are even worse with how everything they do looks like a dance routine. At least Kenny is stiff.

- Sting came out and said nothing. I guess you had to bring him out but at least let him say he's gonna be wrestling again.

- The FTR match looked fine. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the six-man but noted Fenix landing on the back of his head again. Jeez. Good seeing Abadon again. Dustin winning with a simple bulldog in a promotion where even he is doing Canadian Destroyers was amusing.

- I thought the main was really going well until Orange just used the same hand anyway. Dude, at least switch it up. Whatever MJF calls that piledriver in the ropes always looks deadly, and Rusev WAS deadly. I really hope that security guy rolled before he got spiked from the pitch to the floor. 

• Like 1

Catching up on Dynamite, another good fun show. Bucks/TH2 was a blast and TH2 looked their best here. Abadon is awesome, the kendo stick shot was killer, looking forward to her vs Shida.  Enjoyed the Sting segment. Miro looked great.  Hager/Wardlow was my favorite part of the Inner Circle meeting. Six man was solid, surprised but good to see Butcher & Blade pick up another win. This was my favorite Omega intro yet, absolutely loved the helicopter arrival.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Abadon's gimmick is that she's a creepy monster lady - if Shida doesn't sell being spooked, you kill it right out the gate. 

I feel like the right way is she's a creepy monster who scares everybody UNTIL the babyface champion stands up to the beast.

• Like 1

They’ve sort of Bray Wyatt’d her where they just introduced her to the audience and shot her right to the title. There was tons of time to let her work in the undercard and build to a title match. But we can’t have someone just get pushed up gradually anymore.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 5:46 PM, matt925 said:

There won’t be preemptions until the playoffs start. But nba on espn hurts aew by like 10%. 

Except for next week for the start of the season (December 23) will be pre-empted, with Dynamite airing immediately following the Celtics/Bucks game.

10 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Except for next week for the start of the season (December 23) will be pre-empted, with Dynamite airing immediately following the Celtics/Bucks game.

Yeah that was a swing and a miss on my part. Hopefully this is the only time (and I’m sure tnt will be promoting the hell out of it during the game). 

• Like 1