DVDVR Message Board

TNAEW Dynamite - 12/9/2020

Dolfan in NYC

PUHLEEEEASE GIVE US JERRY LYNN VS KENNY OMEGA. 

Which reminds me... that Abadon segment was so great! Tesha or whatever her name was did a wonderful job of selling fear but trying to do her thing in a big moment. Match was what it should be. Abadon's offense looks brutal and simple as it should... except for the finish. It's cool and looks gnarly but does it fit in with her and her move set? Shida confronting her fear (with a kendo stick, baby steps! Scaffold to a singles match), one-shotting her (it looked AMAZING! I laughed so hard for the shot and sell) and the perfect Michael Myers sit-up. 100/100. 

• Like 2

Yeah, as I expected the Shaq segment was trash. Making Brandi Rhodes the focus of that angle was also a mistake.

What's the payoff here? Cody gets into a blood feud with Shaq because his petty wife dragged him into it? 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Was Omega taking a shot at the Young Bucks and Cody with his comment about not begging Tony Khan to hire his friends and family?

Don Callis is really good on the mic, I hope him being Omega’s mouthpiece is a permanent thing.

• Like 5

What's with Pac being MIA? Should I be scared? Was the Penta deal a set-up for a betrayal? Brother was slammed through a table by the opp so I don't think it makes sense for him to backstab his brother to join back up with Eddie and his family. 

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

Was Omega taking a shot at the Young Bucks and Cody with his comment about not begging Tony Khan to hire his friends and family?

Don Callis is really good on the mic, I hope him being Omega’s mouthpiece is a permanent thing.

Yes. Let's pretend Michael Nakazawa never happened (i like him!) and it makes sense.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

Really dug the Abadon/Tesha/Shida segment. Abadon is so creepy that it fits that Shida would be side-eying her. 

I'm glad that we are getting Swole and Serena vs Ivelisse and Diamonte next Dynamite. The backstage attacks are alright but I'm ready for them to start telling the story in the ring. And it looks like Vickie is amassing a nice little stable. 

- IT'S STIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGG!!   will never not put a huge smile on my face.  I am so ready for little Stinger Darby.  I felt Sting made it clear that's the long term reason why he's back.  In the short term piss in Cody's cereal.  Great. 

- Omega and Callis was about the same as iMPACT last night but it's a great act and I'm into it.  The helicopter landing was awesome.  Also,  Callis saying to Tony Khan "you got screwed.  Welcome to the wrestling business, kid"  was brilliant. 

- Out of all the factions in AEW (and there's a ton of them!) I think Team Taz is my favorite.  Taz never fails to cut a money promo.  Ricky Starks has the best look in AEW and is also tremendous on the mic. He's a star.  Plus, they got two big hosses with Brian Cage and Powerhouse Hobbs.  I love this team. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

- IT'S STIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGG!!   will never not put a huge smile on my face.  I am so ready for little Stinger Darby.  I felt Sting made it clear that's the long term reason why he's back.  In the short term piss in Cody's cereal.  Great. 

I interpreted things the opposite way, where Cody will become the long-term reason once he pisses in the Sting-Darby popcorn. 

Lots of questions and things could break either way. I'm excited to see where it goes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

- Out of all the factions in AEW (and there's a ton of them!) I think Team Taz is my favorite.  Taz never fails to cut a money promo.  Ricky Starks has the best look in AEW and is also tremendous on the mic. He's a star.  Plus, they got two big hosses with Brian Cage and Powerhouse Hobbs.  I love this team. 

...And now they have Taz’s snot nosed brat to be the punching bag of the group. I’m curious now if he’s got his dad’s corny sense of humor. Shame about his pasty complexion though. 

Is Miro’s finisher the Axe Bomber now? He noticeably hit it twice last night, and one of them was in a key moment. I hope it sticks. He kinda needs to differentiate himself in AEW.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Taz's son must take after his mother. Tall, kinda lanky, pale... Doesn't look much like The Human Suplex Machine.

This show was a blast, and AEW is really getting it's hooks back into me after the pandemic kinda killed my interest a few months back.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

I like up-beat Sting. Bit reminiscent of the Wolfpac version. The face paint does wonders for him; he has so much aura that so long as he isn't called into much physical action other than a Scorpion Death Drop every so often, through his presence he could easily be 10 or 15 years younger. Great addition that adds gravitas to everything / everyone he is involved with. TNA's production values were so low rent that it diminished the presentation of all the vets there to cornyness; AEW actually nails this side of the presentation, so the presence of the vets is elevated & then elevate the company by turn.

"Hook" is by contrast an example of the weaker side of the promotion. Nepotism that clogs up time & space. Completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The original Team Taz was supposed to be a parody of Kimo, and his training crew, right? Why not go full parody in 2021, and have one of the members carry a giant wooden capital T on their back?

This reminds me of Chris Jericho's Inner Circle doing the Gracie train for the weigh in with Jon Moxley before their Revolution 2020 match.

• Like 1

I watched the Youtube clips.

AEW really needs to learn to just end matches without an extra curricular ending. It seems like every match has stuff after the match ends and it's too much.

Brandi just can't be a face can she? She just won't be likeable for three straight weeks even when she is the aggrieved party.

Sting being a positive guy is a welcome development. I'd much rather have this than have him be morose or silent. The promo was solid and I hope it writes Cody out of the angle as he has enough going on that he doesn't need to be involved in the Sting stuff as well.

Kenny and Callis did fine in their interview. I generally don't like the 'I have good matches' as a character trait as it blows up the idea that wrestling is competitive. So for instance, if Kenny can win a match in 3 minutes, would he rather prolong it to get more stars? I think they've actually set it up that he won't by having him blow out Sonny Kiss a while back. I would actually have Kenny be upset at something like that if the opponent couldn't hang to make him more of a dick as a character trait. Regardless as it stands, the best matches comes off more as a brag than anything else which is fine. I don't like AEW harping on the gentleman's agreement so much like it was a grand betrayal when Moxley as a character would happily cripple Omega if given the chance. 

The ending to the six man felt like they called it short because Fenix smashed himself (again) on a dive. Having Archer work face in peril seems like a poor idea for me, he seems like a natural hot tag.

Matt Jackson sell in a 'ouch I'm hurt but I'm going to hit my shit anyway' which I don't prefer.

FTR had a nice little match with The Varsity Blondes where they gave Griff a good hot tag and flurry before a very straight ending which is what should happen. FTR shouldn't be struggling with The Blondes overly much. Seemed note perfect to me. Pillman got up well for the Shatter Machine.

Abadon had a nice showcase match and post match angle with Shida. I feel like this may have worked better if they had established Abadon on the wings for a while first before going right into the women's title picture on Dynamite.

Inner Circle promo with Sammy stepping to MJF and Jericho worked and I liked the Hagar/Wardlow interaction. Ortiz seems like such the odd man out and Santana not even being there hurts the idea somewhat of it being an important meeting.

Miro looked good. It is a little weird that he keeps going after Orange to benefit the Inner Circle when they triple teamed him in the battle royal. Killing extras is visually impressive but there is going to be little emotional investment in security guard number three even if Miro's performance is good (and it was). Him stepping on the one's face is going to be lost in the powerslam to no where but its almost more effective for him to be mean than just destructive. I liked what Miro was wearing as street gear.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 4

Random thoughts in no particular order:

If Brandi's supposed babyface character is "insecure narcissist who flips the fuck out at any perceived slight" then mission accomplished I guess.  Thinking you're a babyface but acting like an asshole heel runs in the family I suppose.  Seriously, sitting across from a legend from another sport and acting pissed for not getting equal accolades is such a heel thing.  Cody working himself and his wife into BOTH the Sting AND Shaq angles is some Jedi level carny shit.  Are we sure he's not actually Hulk Hogan's kid?

Bucks vs TH2 is exactly the crazy-ass arcade wrestling I am here for and it was GREAT.  

Kenny and Callis cut nearly the same promo as they did on Impact and that's just fine.  They're taking the angle slow, which is appreciated.

I loved the shit out of Kenny's Sonny Crockett cosplay.  Public Service Announcement: go watch Miami Vice from the beginning, maybe skip the last season.  It is a great, very dark show and nowhere near the 80s cheese that revisionist history would have you believe. 

Darby's skit was really great, as was Sting clowning on Cody. 

Gotta admit I was late to the show and fast forwarded The Snore Horsemen vs Pillman and Jungle Man.  I just don't find the Poor Horsemen's act to be interesting.  I'd rather see a team just go about their business and not try to hard at cosplaying wrestlers from 30 years ago like the Bore Horsemen do.

ABADON MOTHERFUCKERS

Hangman's hair looked red and for a split second I thought he was Blake Christian.  I dug him corpsing, as the kids say, at the end of the bit.

Butcher and Blade get another win!  What is happening???!!!??

SEVEN!!!!  LOOOOOOOOL

My jaded ass was actively cheering for OC to win and hating these heels.  They're doing something right.

I'm not the most fashionable dude so it was hilarious to watch Miro fuck guys up wearing his grandma's shirt.

Hager and Wardlow arguing over who is and is not staring was wonderful.

Everybody talking about how Darby won't last is sleeping on the walking deathwish that is Rey Fenix.

Jericho is apparently dipping into the Rudy Giuliani Hair Coloring System.  That shit was such a dark, unnatural color of brown.  It stood out like a liberal at a Fozzy show.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2