DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2020 - WEEK FOURTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, elizium said:

Pretty surprising too, because even when they're terrible the Cowboys bring in the strongest ratings

The fact that they get to replace the Cowboy market with the NY market is probably what made it the easiest to swap games (Especially when this was the first time in forever that neither NYC teams weren't scheduled for Sunday night)

I am mentioning this here because of my connection to the story but it easily could be in the college thread too.

Ray Perkins has passed away at the age of 79.

Perkins was the Giants HC when I started watching football. While he probably doesn't get as much credit for helping the Giants turn the franchise around - for New Yorkers like myself he will always be known as the man who was replaced by Bill Parcells (I mean he left to replace Bear Bryant at Alabama so it was understandable)

In case you missed it, Boomer Esiasion flat out said on the radio on Monday that Gregg Williams intentionally threw the game against the Raiders with his play call, for whatever reason.

I've seen that rumor elsewhere.

Does Cowher even interview for jobs anymore?  If he wanted really wanted to coach again, he'd probably already be in the league.

I'd be wary of giving a coach who's been out of coaching for 14 years the kind of contract Bill Cowher is going to want.  He'd have to do a helluva job selling me on the idea that he had the passion back.  Every story I've read on Cowher in the last 14 years made it sound like he was content with his life as is.

• Like 2

Boomer is basing it on random comments Cowher has made while they are working together on the Sunday pregame

Twelve years ago, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher flirted with coaching the Jets. The flirtation eventually could happen again.

On his weekday WFAN radio show, Boomer Esiason seemed to suggest that: (1) Cowher may be interested in coaching again; and (2) if interested in coaching again, Cowher definitely is interested in coaching the Jets.

Esiason’s views have built-in credence; he works with Cowher every Sunday on The NFL Today on CBS.

“All I know is that yesterday, [Cowher] was showing me and Nate [Burleson] film of him coaching on the sideline where he was mic’ed up, and we looked at each other like, ‘Hmm, what does that mean?'” Esiason said. “Is he sending a message? I’ve worked with him for 14 years and I’ve never seen that.”

And if Cowher, who made a memorable exit from the Steelers after 15 seasons in a sweater that was out of the rotation for a reason, is ready to come back 14 years later, it could be with the Jets.

“He was saying to me yesterday, he’s the one that told me the Jets job is going to be really attractive, and they could hire whomever they want, and he told me he loves [G.M.] Joe Douglas,” Esiason said of Cowher.

The attitude toward Douglas becomes critical to the broader analysis. In late 2008, Cowher and the Jets didn’t consummate the deal due to the organization’s commitment to G.M. Mike Tannenbaum. If Cowher has no qualms about Douglas, then the sitting G.M. wouldn’t be an impediment this time around.

Esiason at one point expressed concern that his “opinion will get twisted around into clickbait,” that’s exactly what the digital companion to WFAN did.

Clickbait or not, it’s worth keeping an eye on Cowher. Esiason wouldn’t have recklessly thrown his on-air partner’s name in the mix. It could be that Cowher, after nearly as many years out as he was in, is thinking about a Vermeil-style return to the game.

Mind you this is exactly the same stuff that was said when the Giants opening came up TWICE

I've been surprised before, like with Joe Gibbs, but I'd be really shocked if Cowher came back to coach again after such a long layoff and even more surprised if it was for the literal worst team in the NFL. The game isn't the same, not to say he couldn't adapt but its not an automatic slam dunk. There have been other legitimately attractive jobs that were available in the last five years, this isn't one of them.

• Like 1

I guess at least he's still observing the game, doing TV, so maybe he wouldn't be totally out of touch with how everything has changed.

But, man, it's hard to imagine after 14 years, he wants to leave a cushy tv job, risk his legacy, and put in all those hours and all that effort again. 

I would also say it's hard to believe an NFL team would want him after all those years, especially since he was old fashioned by the time he left the Steelers as is, but it's the Jets, so who the fuck knows?

Cowher went on a few job interviews after first leaving the Steelers.  The talk at the time was that execs were reluctant to hire him because they felt he lost passion for the daily grind that is coaching.  His asking price was also very high (for the time).

On 12/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, RIPPA said:

Boomer also claimed in that same radio show that Bill Cowher was going to be the next Jets coach so lets pump the brakes on his credibility

Ya know, you gotta give it to a guy who is willing to say on national TV that quarterbacks don't want to end up like Dan Marino, with all stats and no titles - with Dan Marino sitting right there next to him.

• Haha 3

after almost conceding a strip-sack-6, Giants make a 4th & Goal stand from the when the Cardinals elect to pass from the 1 yard line like cowards instead of running the ball like men.

A fitting punishment for the stupid slow developing double-fake-handoff bootleg nonsense they called.

May Chuck Knox's ghost haunt them until the end of days.

Not sure if there is a receiver having a better last month than AJ Brown for the Titans.  A great one handed catch for the TD.    I guess the only guy I can think if is Justin Jefferson of the Vikings

Right now it looks like Andy Dalton is going to get revenge on his old team without doing a damn thing 

Patrick Mahomes giving up a 30 yard sack ?

Edited by hammerva