DVDVR Message Board

UFC 256: Figueiredo vs. Moreno (12/12/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dern made this fight much closer than it had to be by going for takedowns. She was lighting Jandiroba up on the feet whenever she wanted. Why give the only fighter who has jiu-jitsu on your level an opportunity to win when you have another avenue for victory? The only time Dern was losing on the feet is when she was overly aggressive.

Baffling. Only thing I can think is Dern wanted to sub Jandiroba. Still remember to this day Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira stopping strikes on the ground to Frank Mir in their second fight wanting to be the first to submit Mir but Mir countered into the Kimura breaking his arm.

Edited by The Natural

I think Khabib will stick to his word so we'll need a new UFC Lightweight Champion. Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor for the title and winner defends vs. Charles Oliveira? Winner of Poirier vs. McGregor then fights Oliveira for the vacant UFC Lightweight Championship. Whatever way, Oliveira has to be one of the men fighting for it. Love the Lightweight division, it's been the best and deepest division in MMA for a long time.

Straight up front kick to the balls. This sucks, because it looked like the momentum of this fight could swing in Moreno's favour in the championship rounds.

1 point is big. Right decision there. 

Edited by Setsuna
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Sorry for triple=posting, but this is the most I've been invested in a fight in quite awhile. 

Very real draw possibility coming up.

Don't often get them in title fights. Edgar/Maynard II (I LOVE that fight) and Woodley/Wonderboy I.

Caught the co-main and main event.

Do Bronx looked incredible.

Main event was crazy. FOTYC. Had Moreno pushed the pace as his corner was telling him to, he would have taken the title and had Figue not gotten the point deducted, he would have retained. Majority decision draw is a fair result and I am looking forward to the rematch.

Edited by Edwin

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Don't often get them in title fights. Edgar/Maynard II (I LOVE that fight) and Woodley/Wonderboy I.

Only four UFC Championship fights ending in a draw:

Penn/Uno II (UFC 41, February 2003).

Edgar/Maynard II (UFC 125, January 2011).

Woodley/Thompson I (UFC 205, November 2016).

Figueiredo/Moreno (UFC 256, December 2020).

Edited by The Natural

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Rafael Fiziev throws EVERYTHING fast and hard. He has no off-speed pitch.

No tells either. He doesn't wind up. How the fuck did this guy lose a fight? He's terrifying.

Kevin Holland said "I had a dream about this" with Jacare in his guard. One of the scariest grapplers is in your guard and you're saying that. Then you knock him out from that position a few moments later. He's the fighter of the year and he should never fight on free TV again. If he were white, they'd be building him up as the next McGregor, but he's a better promo than Conor and he doesn't have that racist/cokehead vibe either so I'm not wincing when he talks. Holland/Chimaev in a week's time is the best callout I've ever heard. Dana would never but I laughed.

I'm just catching up now but holy shit this card lived up to the hype so sorry for the live bullshitting as I go. I've appreciated the opportunities a lot of younger guys have received due to the pandemic but it's just different having top level fighters littered throughout a card like this. That Cub/Pineda brawl was so much fun to watch. Chase Hooper in the early prelim with a huge comeback after being hobbled. Franco Joshua is going to be a problem for pretty much everybody. He's safe, avoids putting himself in danger, but can pick you apart with his leg and body kicks from the outside along with his movement. The way he knew he had JDS and went in for the kill was really impressive. How the fuck did Tony not tap at the end of round 1 in that armbar? I've only seen that from women. The vivisection guys were talking Ferguson up as not being done but Charles dismantled him. I love to see it. I've been a long time admirer of Charles but he's folded when things don't go his way. He just steamrolled Tony from start to finish. I do think Khabib steamrolls Oliveira if that happens. Still, Oliveira is realizing his potential and it's awesome to see and I'd probably favour him over either McGregor or Poirier if that's next.

Main event a great technical brawl and it looked like Figueiredo had the power of two weight divisions up on Moreno. He showed no respect and because of that he threw more combinations than he usually does. Figueiredo's jab looked like another flyweight's right straight (fucking joe rogan said this after i typed it, i swear). Only question about Deiveson is his cardio as he started breathing heavy near the end of round 1 and was noticeably slowing down by the end of round 2. Can't blame him because he's cutting crazy weight (twice in two weeks!) and throwing so hard. DC Is fucking crazy for giving that 2nd round to Moreno. The power difference is immense and Figueiredo is quickly becoming a favourite of mine to watch. These significant strike stats don't tell half the story. For me, it's clear Figueiredo won the first three rounds (9-9 round 3, that was one of the worst dick in recent memory) but his output started to slow in the second half of the third round. Amazing durability to take that ass beating and then turn it on in the fourth by Moreno. This is one of the best fights of the year and while I know it won't it would be nice if it turned these guys into stars. But they're tiny so. Ew, Moreno's arm! Yeah, I got Moreno winning 4 and 5. Second best fight of the year and one of the best fights I've ever seen. Incredible drama, heart, power, skill. Run back the two best fights of 2020 in 2021 but I think Moreno could be out for a while with that forearm. Draw is the right call. 

Amazing card. The best one of the covid era? There were some absolute beauties early on before the injuries and shit hit the fan but this had the second best fight of the year and so many other awesome moments and fights. WOW.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Amazing card. The best one of the covid era? There were some absolute beauties early on before the injuries and shit hit the fan but this had the second best fight of the year and so many other awesome moments and fights. WOW.

i agree, but with two caveats: 1) my recency bias is strong, and 2) i don't watch as many cards as i used to AND don't watch as closely.

but yeah, this card rocked all the way through.

• Like 2