DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Tribute To Pat - 12/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Basically only paid attention to the IC tag and main event, because I watched The Baby Yoda Power Hour  in between.  Both were fun though!

Amazing how Roman beat up Otis so bad he just vaporized.  

The Patterson tribute vid had some nice extra footage and pics added in. The tribute 6-man tag was fun.

The Sasha/Carmella segment was ok.

The highlights unsurprisingly came down to Roman once again. Everything surrounding him tonight was nice save the weird way they treated the rules in the tag match. It was just odd how Roman wasn't dqed for murdering Otis with the stairs. Absolutely loved the post match beatdown and trash talk on Kevin (& poor Jey).

• Like 1

So (as Eivion also pointed out) murdering the illegal man with the ring steps is fine but breaking up a pin is an immediate DQ (Reigns was DQ'ed about 3 seconds after breaking up the pin)?
Also, Bayley shouldn't lose to Natalya via submission in short matches. Beating Bayley should mean something. It means nothing if Bayley controls most of the match and then the opponent controls the last 30 seconds and wins. It reminded me of her short loss to Naomi in a beat the clock challenge earlier this year which also did nothing for Naomi (especially since it followed a short loss of Naomi to Sasha Banks).

Edited by aloniv
  • Like 2

Those Sasha/Carmella promos were cringeworthy. All that head-wagging and fake attitude. Just not convincing at all. Ugh.

I liked the six man tag. A lot.

Why is Bayley losing to Nattie? Why is anyone losing to Nattie?

Main event was good, but it feels like they're dangerously close to forgetting about Otis.

• Like 1

No Ryker. Just Blake and Cutler becoming Corbin's Court.

With Bayley, it feels like this the start of the long road to her being a face again. That she allowed her obsession to be #1 take over, losing herself in the process. So they're going to have her go on a losing streak and realize that being champion is great, but it doesn't define her. 

Sasha-Carmella leaned too heavy into certain tropes. Having two women being overly catty for starters. I get that they were going for competitive since they mirror each other in some ways, but it didn't come across well. Carmella's bragging about being a hot chick in a company full of them was laughable. And bragging about the men she gets to do her bidding? After the Women's Evolution? Bad scripting on that.

Roman is beyond awesome. How he continually gaslights everyone is incredible and scary all at the same time. "There is a a lady present, grow up" to thrashing three guys in front of countless female fans? Great heel work. Threatening KO's family because he feels KO forced him to beat up Jey was amazing. I like how they're having other wrestlers note the change to Roman, wondering if it's Heyman who caused it or if Roman is off in his own world. Trying to unravel the puzzle that has become Roman Reigns would be a good way to extend his title run. Because I don't see anyone who's ready to take him down for a long time.

• Like 5

Bayley has lost every match she's been in since the title loss, including being first out at Survivor Series. This has to be leading to something right? That she can't win without cheating/without Sasha? That she's lost self-esteem? That she needs the fans' support back? That she's gonna go into some delusional character that won't acknowledge the losses, only the long title reign? Or none of those things and it's just classic WWE booking?

45 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Hmm, Heel Sasha vs Face Bayley at mania?  Or do you keep Bayley heel until post mania where she pulls a Kevin Nash/HBK and saves Sasha from a vicious assault by whomever they want to build up next?

Interesting. Bayley is great as both face and heel. Didn't think the latter would happen particularly thinking back to her NXT days. If Bayley does turn back, I hope she keeps an edge that she's had as a heel. Main roster Bayley was diluted. That 2017 series with Alexa Bliss damaged Bayley. I think it'll be heel Bayley and Sasha face. I just hope it main events WrestleMania XXXVII.

1 hour ago, CookieMueller said:

Bayley has lost every match she's been in since the title loss, including being first out at Survivor Series. This has to be leading to something right? That she can't win without cheating/without Sasha? That she's lost self-esteem? That she needs the fans' support back? That she's gonna go into some delusional character that won't acknowledge the losses, only the long title reign? Or none of those things and it's just classic WWE booking?

it's the ol' Bam Bam Bigelow curse.  It's actually a bad thing if you're too good at getting over because "you don't need to win to stay strong" and thus get stuck with the shitty gimmicks and taking the losses because it's assumed you can just talk your way back up in your next promo.

• Like 1

I don't regularly watch WWE anymore but I did see the clip of Carmella and Sasha's 'face off'.  Good stuff.  I don't think Carmella should be in a title program but she's decent enough at her character work and Sasha can drag a great match out of most of the women on the roster.  I'm fine with it. 

• Like 1

Not WWE breaking up The IIconics, just to place them in other tag teams. ? I hope they don't saddle Billie with Natalya the way they have Peyton with Lacey Evans.

That said, I will accept Billie bringing in a few Down Under girls from nxt (any combination of Rhea, Dakota, Toni, Indi) to form a stable, thanks.

- I want to believe the Bayley booking is for a longer story arc...but this is WWE. This is the "hamster wheel" booking. This is what the company does with acts that do sustained quality ratings or have a hot run. They find a way not to capitalize. Truthfully, when the re-drafting happened, Sasha and Bayley needed to be moved on to separate shows. Bayley should've came to RAW and continued her run as a top heel. I love Asuka, but she's not the "hot hand" at the moment. There's really no reason in the world for Bayley to be losing to Nattie. 

- I'm curious what the longterm booking is for Mania. I think the WWE is holding out hope for The Rock. To me, if you can't get that match and you can't get Brock (the other obvious choice to face Reigns), you do something a bit underwhelming on purpose and have Reigns face *and defeat* someone like Edge, Orton, or - if you can swing it - Cena. I'm not a fan of him but maybe even a babyface Rollins after he comes back. Reigns is too good to lose right now and I don't see that changing by April. Big E is someone I've always wanted to see in a main event spot but, truthfully, I don't think the timing is right as of December 6th, 2020. Another casualty of "hamster wheel" booking in that he's a guy who they could've plugged in and utilized better a year or two ago when they were needlessly giving title reigns and pushes to Goldberg and  the aforementioned Rollins (and putting guys like Corbin and Ziggler in main events on B-level shows), but now, with no live audience and Roman Reigns absolutely crushing it, its hard to make a case for Big E getting the ball. 

• Thanks 1