DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 19: Hermansson vs. Vettori (12/5/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

128468429_412463543263487_37109426992951

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 19: Hermansson vs. Vettori 
December 5, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Jack Hermansson (185.5) vs. Marvin Vettori (186) - Vettori, DEC (unanimous)
Ovince St. Preux (207.5)* vs. Jamahal Hill (205.5) - Hill, TKO (strikes), R2 (3:37)
Gabriel Benítez (155.5) vs. Justin Jaynes (156) - Benítez, TKO (knee to the body and elbows), R1 (4:06)
Roman Dolidze (205) vs. John Allan (205) - Dolidze, DEC (split)
Matt Wiman (155.5) vs. Jordan Leavitt (155.5) - Leavitt, KO (slam), R1 (0:22)

ESPN2/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Louis Smolka (134.5) vs. José Alberto Quiñónez (135) - Smolka, TKO (punches), R2 (2:15)
Ilia Topuria (145) vs. Damon Jackson (145) - Topuria, KO (punches), R1 (2:38)
Gian Villante (243) vs. Jake Collier (264.5) - Collier, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jordan Leavitt
Performance of the Night: Gabriel Benítez
Fight of the Night: Jack Hermansson vs. Marvin Vettori

Rating: 658,000 viewers

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

UFC's didn't play for me so went on YouTube. That's a brutal KO by slam. Slam KOs make we wince. Frank Shamrock's on Igor Zinoviev is the worst of them as Igor's injuries stopped him fighting ever again in MMA. Tito Ortiz to Evan Tanner, Quinton Jackson's powerbomb to Ricardo Arona, Matt Hughes using that on Carlos Newton and Jessica Andrade's Burning Hammer on Rose Namajunas.

Matt Wiman was out for a while, right? Last time that happened was to Jessica Eye getting KTFO by Valentina Shevchenko's headkick. Cameras actually cut to crowd shots. The sound of the kick, how long Jessica Eye was unconscious for and how Eye's feet went. I was concerned for her health as a result of all that.

Edited by The Natural

There were other things that I felt affected the fight, namely the seeming injury to Hermansson's right leg/foot, and the knockdown in the first round.

Had Hermansson been able to kick with his right leg, he could've continued to throw it to the shouthpaw's body, probably keeping Vettori's left hand in check a bit better. Vettori reacted to one of those body kicks after he was forced to block it. I don't know that we would've seen the Hoost/Lebanner finish from K1, necessarily...I've no idea of the actual state of Vettori's arm. But, had Hermansson been able to continue to kick away, perhaps there would've been a different course to the fight.

I also felt like Jack never quite overcame the big shot in round one. It was a great fight, but Hermansson was more or less a headhunter after surviving everything. Felder also raised a good point: Hermansson would've been better served by straightening up his right hand vs. throwing hooks. Lord knows where his head was at after absorbing some of those punches, though.

• Like 2

• Elsalvajeloco changed the title to UFC Fight Night on ESPN 19: Hermansson vs. Vettori (12/5/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)