DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

"Look how stupid this tv show I've watched every week for years is! What kind of idiot would watch this?"

Speak for yourself. As someone who hasn't watched for years I can fully experience the joy of laughing at pictures Raw's idiocy without any feelings of guilt or hypocrisy.

Your username... intrigues me. Surely you're not serious?

Ugh.  Amateurs.  The correct answer is always:  I am serious.  And don't call me Surely.

• Like 2

This is one of those nitpicky deals that irritates only me, but every time WWE trots out The Gobbledy Gooker for one reason or another, I'm bugged because when he debuted, he was supposed to be The Gobblygooker.  I suppose it's Mean Gene's fault for saying Gobbledy Gooker in the first place at Survivor Series, but still.

4449196855_7c65b1eec8_z.jpg?zz=1

You're going to take the word of the same people who type out "Brett Hart," "Rick Flair," and Ravishing "Rick" Rude?  The odds of your spelling being right and it being a fuck-up are a legit coin flip.

• Like 4

You're going to take the word of the same people who type out "Brett Hart," "Rick Flair," and Ravishing "Rick" Rude?  The odds of your spelling being right and it being a fuck-up are a legit coin flip.

Very true.  Still, I just checked the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office website on a lark, and someone at the WWF did apply for a service mark for "Gobblygooker" shortly after Survivor Series 1990 (and it was subsequently abandoned in 1992).

Just by typing in random old wrestling names on the USPTO site, it looks like WWE let their trademark on Starrcade lapse as well.  I have no clue about the inner details of abandoned trademarks, but I'm now disappointed we haven't seen "TNA Starrcade" or "ROH World champion Gobblygooker."

This is one of those nitpicky deals that irritates only me, but every time WWE trots out The Gobbledy Gooker for one reason or another, I'm bugged because when he debuted, he was supposed to be The Gobblygooker.  I suppose it's Mean Gene's fault for saying Gobbledy Gooker in the first place at Survivor Series, but still.

That's assuming that whoever wrote the caption got it right.  If it comes down to an unknown production assistant and Okerlund, I'd trust Mene Gene's word any day.

pro wrestling being art

Seriously? I didn't think this was a question anymore in 2013. That Cabana guy's podcast isn't The Sport of Wrestling Podcast and his CHIKARA spinoff wasn't Wrestling Is Business.

Weird.

No it's not. Most people I talk to, fans, wrestlers, promoters, and even people who don't watch seem to understand pro wrestling is an art form. 

fqTmCGel.jpg

A violent art, but still an art.

Them's some big lads, OWW lists Paul Bunyan at 8'2"! Here is a pic of Humphrey vs Calhoun. Check it out, they can barely reach each other.

calhounhumphrey.jpg

Must've been a hell of a match.

It was shit. They were both sick and tired of doing the same old 'big, giant, fat behemoth' match and ended up doing a lucha exhibition. They really shouldn't do that, no matter how perfect that 'running sommersault plancha countered into Powerbomb countered into snap Hurricanrana' was.

• Like 1

Them's some big lads, OWW lists Paul Bunyan at 8'2"! Here is a pic of Humphrey vs Calhoun. Check it out, they can barely reach each other.

calhounhumphrey.jpg

Must've been a hell of a match.

It was shit. They were both sick and tired of doing the same old 'big, giant, fat behemoth' match and ended up doing a lucha exhibition. They really shouldn't do that, no matter how perfect that 'running sommersault plancha countered into Powerbomb countered into snap Hurricanrana' was.

They were both gassed about 5 minutes in. It was a really sad display. They both really let themselves go.

Very true.  Still, I just checked the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office website on a lark, and someone at the WWF did apply for a service mark for "Gobblygooker" shortly after Survivor Series 1990 (and it was subsequently abandoned in 1992).

Just by typing in random old wrestling names on the USPTO site, it looks like WWE let their trademark on Starrcade lapse as well.  I have no clue about the inner details of abandoned trademarks, but I'm now disappointed we haven't seen "TNA Starrcade" or "ROH World champion Gobblygooker."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymTiollavSU

In this video both the Fink and Mike McGuirk announce him as Gobblygooker.

calhounhumphrey.jpg

"I got two turntables and a microphone..."

tumblr_mwy4jiD2V91ra2rkho1_1280.png

Jeez.... it looks like he cut the feet off an elephant...