DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/2/2020

Dolfan in NYC

25 minutes ago, Infinit said:

See...that is tremendous attention to detail. Making the driver having an AEW face mask that much more frustrating lol

The driver was wearing an AEW mask to sell the ruse?

Based on Kenny's demeanor and body language, disoriented or not, I feel he was aware and totally complicit in this outcome. 

As a fan of the Knockouts, I can only imagine how beneficial this would be to the women's division. Very optimistic 

I think having the NWA/UWN women on the show, like Thunder Rosa, has already been beneficial for AEW, so I think potential crossover with some of the women of the Knockouts division can only make things better.

But if some of those women ever get offered AEW/TNT contracts, I hope there are no hurt feelings.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

The driver was wearing an AEW mask to sell the ruse?

Based on Kenny's demeanor and body language, disoriented or not, I feel he was aware and totally complicit in this outcome. 

I think having the NWA/UWN women on the show, like Thunder Rosa, has already been beneficial for AEW, so I think potential crossover with some of the women of the Knockouts division can only make things better.

But if some of those women ever get offered AEW/TNT contracts, I hope there are no hurt feelings.

That's why I was wondering the other day if it's maybe a developmental partnership or something, because if there's nothing like that in place, what's to stop AEW from poaching whoever they want once their deals are up? Or theoretically Impact from poaching AEW guys, but that's pretty unlikely I'd think. 

Maybe at the end of the day it's a little gentlemen's agreement of its own.

• Like 1

From the latest Observer:

There was a lot of controversy regarding the nature of the finish, both with the idea of doing a promotional feud with Impact, which has some good talent but no buzz and a relatively small audience. In addition, Impact runs on Tuesday, the same as AEW Dark. Clearly this angle makes Impact relevant, which builds up a competitor. The promotion vs. promotion angle done correctly is usually good and AEW was looking for something to jump start business going into the new year. Sting and a promotion vs. promotion war were the key ideas.

AEW’s attitude right now is to work with everyone, whether it be Impact, New Japan, AAA or NWA. Khan has been speaking to Rocky Romero regularly of late to try and open doors to New Japan, feeling the odds are better to do something with Harold Meij gone. Omega did a Kazuchika Okada tease with a rainmaker pose, which the announcers talked about. The door is open for matches like Young Bucks vs. Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson. Whether the storyline will be that Omega has “jumped” to Impact while holding the AEW title with Callis being his Bobby Heenan to Omega’s Nick Bockwinkel isn’t clear. We only know there will be interaction of some sort.

And re: Sting:

Sting, who turns 62 in March, has signed a multi-year deal. With the face-paint, you can somewhat hide his age. Having seen him a few times over the years, he does look younger than his age, but he has also aged noticeably in the last few years. He has spinal stenosis and had neck issues that basically forced his retirement from the ring after his match with Seth Rollins. WWE had no interest in him as a television character. Khan wants to make him a regular television character, although he very clearly has to be protected when it comes to not taking bumps. Still it is known Sting wanted to do a Cinematic match with Undertaker, and for whatever reason, while fans have clamored for Undertaker vs. Sting for years, it has never been a match that appealed to McMahon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Rewatched the main, and I'm pretty sure there was a badly blown spot nobody noticed. Kenny goes to the top rope for the Phoenix Splash, but Mox shoves him off... only he doesn't. Kenny falls off before Mox gets there... and I'm pretty sure the idea was for Kenny to take a massive bump off the top rope onto (and through) those heaters at ringside. So they improvised and Mox did the Paradigm Shift into the heater instead.

• Like 4

Yes. And on the Fite feed there was a minute blackout, and then we saw a few seconds of Jake Roberts cutting a promo on Eddie Kingston as well.

So Khan believes rising tides lifts all boats,  that's fine.  They've already been working with NWA and somewhat with AAA as well.  Now iMPACT is in play and I think that's great.. 

Looking at the numbers for Wednesday Night this episode of Dynamite basically won the night on cable in the 18-49.  It was tied with college basketball on ESPN.  That's huge...   TNT is going to give them more and more leeway if this keeps up. 

• Like 3

Going into 2021, and seeing as how the White House has shifted to a less controversial figure, and the ratings for news channels are already declining (which plays into that first part)... I wonder if we'll see other shows - not just Dynamite - rise in the cable rankings.

I mean, not NXT obviously though. ?

• Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

There were quite a few things I didn't like about Moxley v Omega (the chair spot and the ref not doing a count "pweez guys get back in the ring" being the main ones) but I'm glad they went with the screwy finish.

Also, will be exciting to see the Impact women in AEW. 

I give AEW credit in recognizing they needed a major story to carry them into 2021 and toward their next PPV. The last few Dynamite episodes from last year weren't good. They made a necessary adjustment. Kudos to them.

However, I'm not sure I quite get it. Omega is an EVP for AEW. He became the #1 contender for their world championship, which many correctly predicted he would win one day. He's been in the catbird seat almost from the beginning. Why do something that could jeopardize his goals, whatever they may be?

If it's just a case of his longtime friend Callis bending Omega's ear, fine. But it makes Khan look silly. Allowing another company's executive to get that close to one of his top stars on AEW's clock seems amateur.

Plus, in situations like these, someone has to come up short. That's going to be Impact, because AEW has all the leverage with their TV deal and bigger stars. Should Impact be worried that Khan may pooch several of their women to his side? I would be.

And how will AEW juggle their already large roster? Will Impact be featured on Dynamite beyond Callis being in Omega's corner? Is a talent exchange on the table? The NWA women's title already gets featured more than AEW's equivalent. Gotta figure they'll want Deonna to have a couple of matches, especially with her already being connected to them via All In.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I know many are high on the idea of several promotions working together. But it feels like a situation where egos are going to take hold sooner or later. 

I'm intrigued by the possibilities, so mission accomplished. It should be interesting.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I give AEW credit in recognizing they needed a major story to carry them into 2021 and toward their next PPV. The last few Dynamite episodes from last year weren't good. They made a necessary adjustment. Kudos to them.

However, I'm not sure I quite get it. Omega is an EVP for AEW. He became the #1 contender for their world championship, which many correctly predicted he would win one day. He's been in the catbird seat almost from the beginning. Why do something that could jeopardize his goals, whatever they may be?

If it's just a case of his longtime friend Callis bending Omega's ear, fine. But it makes Khan look silly. Allowing another company's executive to get that close to one of his top stars on AEW's clock seems amateur.

Plus, in situations like these, someone has to come up short. That's going to be Impact, because AEW has all the leverage with their TV deal and bigger stars. Should Impact be worried that Khan may pooch several of their women to his side? I would be.

And how will AEW juggle their already large roster? Will Impact be featured on Dynamite beyond Callis being in Omega's corner? Is a talent exchange on the table? The NWA women's title already gets featured more than AEW's equivalent. Gotta figure they'll want Deonna to have a couple of matches, especially with her already being connected to them via All In.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I know many are high on the idea of several promotions working together. But it feels like a situation where egos are going to take hold sooner or later. 

I'm intrigued by the possibilities, so mission accomplished. It should be interesting.

I agree with you on the possibility for an ego situation, because it's wrestling so of course, but two things I've read recently make me feel a little more positive about it than like for example some of the Pro Wrestling USA comparisons:

1) The Bucks gave an interview where they said the deal was in the works for a while but they couldn't get the creative right at one point. Which makes me feel like unless plans change, this is stuff that's been hashed out internally with the promotions already 

2) a while back before any of this, maybe even last year, I saw Callis say something to the effect of not being worried about AEW because there was always room for that #3 ECW-positioned company. So it seems like maybe were headed for something more akin to that ECW/WWF type relationship where it's, hey we need Deonna Purazzo for 6 months, here's $150,000 and a Jericho match

• Like 5

On 12/2/2020 at 11:10 PM, EVA said:

I really don’t know why they’ve cooled off on Jungle Boy the last few months.  I mean, he was in the eliminator tourney, yes, but he really hasn’t been given much to do outside of that.  Dude was on an insane run in the ring before being banished to Dark.

Didn't he sign a shorter deal than most at the behest of his father's lawyers? Purely speculation, but could this have something to do with it? Is his deal coming to an end or maybe he has already signed a new one, I have no idea? Maybe there's just too many bigger names on Dynamite right now, so they put him on the backburner, assuming he still has plenty of time to become the star they want him to be? Still, a bit sad. ...and maybe I should have read on a bit further before replying, but nice to hear Jungle Boy had his moments in the battle royal!

Edited by Shartnado
Oh, he did get featured, ok!

Hangman, Darby, Jungle Boy, MJF, Sammy and Sabian are clearly the "projected future" from the get-go. AEW invested time and effort in all of them, even if Sabian and Jungle Boy are relegated to the sidelines more often. Since then Wardlow, Starks and Hobbs were added to that list of projected main eventers.
Really, it sucks that Jungle Boy appears to be an afterthought in AEWs future plans right now, but stuff like the battle royale or beeing in the world title tournament clearly show that they haven't forgotten him and still think very highly of him. Even if mainly on Dark, he had the most matches in AEW so far.
Plus, don't forget he's the youngest and by together with Wardlow and Hobbs still least experienced of the bunch. Yes, his contract isn't that long and one could fear he's going to leave, but he's still in the very early stages of his carreer.
I thought about it yesterday and Jungle Boy is probably the one I think could benefit the most from these working agreements with other promotions. Give Jungle Boy (and Luchasaurus as his helping hand) programs in NWA and Impact or send him to Mexico or Japan.
I mean (and I know that we're getting into far-away-fantasy booking now), Jungle Boy in Best of Super Juniors sounds quite nice to me.

TLDR: Yeah, it sucks seeing him without meaningful programs, but Jungle Boy still has so much time left. I'm not concerned.

• Like 4

On 12/3/2020 at 3:59 AM, For Great Justice said:

I also like that they put Callis on commentary for the PPV match a few weeks before this, to ensure that you didn’t pick up the scent tonight. The little things.

I've always enjoyed Don Callis from when I first heard him in WWF, ECW with Joey Styles, NJPW with Kevin Kelly and now AEW.

Great show. Sting in AEW. Hope Sting is better used here than WWE. Sting's booking was frustrating getting him vs. Triple H at WrestleMania XXXI instead of the dream match with The Undertaker on that show and Sting should have beat Seth Rollins for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Night of Champions 2015.

Kenny Omega on top of AEW as the new AEW World Champion. I think he'll get as long as if not even longer with it than Jon Moxley. So far we've had two out of two great reigns in Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley. Expect The Cleaner to extend it.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

On 12/3/2020 at 2:13 PM, TheVileOne said:

This week's Impact actually did 166,000 viewers, and that's without the hype of Omega appearing. One would assume that's good news for them for next week based on the Dynamite angle. It will probably Impact's biggest number in years. 

Thats a strong assumption for us to even habe the channel that Impact is on. 

I don't even know if I have AXS... or whatever its called. 

AEW invested in Jungleboy up top by putting him in a lot of the initial promotional material knowing he had a shorter contract so I don't think they're having doubts about him now. I'd say the battle royal shows exactly where he stands in the company, the #2 up and coming babyface after Orange Cassidy. It is a bummer he isn't more involved in something right now but he's such a long term project that he needs cooling off periods so we don't tire of his constant push without having him lose more than he does.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AxB said:

Rewatched the main, and I'm pretty sure there was a badly blown spot nobody noticed. Kenny goes to the top rope for the Phoenix Splash, but Mox shoves him off... only he doesn't. Kenny falls off before Mox gets there... and I'm pretty sure the idea was for Kenny to take a massive bump off the top rope onto (and through) those heaters at ringside. So they improvised and Mox did the Paradigm Shift into the heater instead.

I couldn't tell if that was a botch that the announcers did a pretty good job covering "Kenny saw him coming and jumped down to avoid being pushed" or a planned spot where it took the announcers a moment to figure out what the spot was.

• Like 1

I don't expect a massive invasion from Impact. More like Kenny hides over there for a bit and maybe brings some goons with him as backup when he comes back. Although a chance to do some talent exchanges for people who need a chance to freshen up is nice