DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/2/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Okay, wrapping up the show. Hirsch is soooooo tiny. Baker still isn't looking great and I think this hockey fight thing is gonna have diminishing returns. At least Reba got smashed again to keep up her status as Lana-style crash test dummy. 

Jericho/Kazarian (you guys calling him Kaz fooled me for a minute and I was like "Hayashi is over here?") looked okay, the Flux Capacitor or whatever looked like a Super Exploder where he lands on Jericho. Ouch. The tag match was perfectly fine too as long as Cody wasn't in there. Hobbs and Darby is gonna be your money match. JR telling Tony he didn't have to check the hotline to get the info about Sting was a nice crack, and I caught "banana" this time. Good job Mox.

27 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Tony says he's never seen Game of Thrones, so that certainly wouldn't be his idea.

Also, that just makes the whole Winter is Coming thing even sillier. The snow was a cool visual though. 

Eh...but the "winter is coming" kind of transcends the show/book. I've never watched Game of Thrones, but I get the reference.

• Like 1

Impact tie in is a weird one. Mexican + Japanese tie ins lend an element of exciting exoticism; there is no positive association with a brand that has limped around as a figure of ridicule for years. It is not ECW invading WWF in the late 90s.

If you can add genuine legends to the product you should always add them. Sting is a legend. The onus is then on the booking to use them properly. He has an immense amount of value to add if used right.

45 minutes ago, Loki said:

Eh...but the "winter is coming" kind of transcends the show/book. I've never watched Game of Thrones, but I get the reference.

@Andy in Kansashad the partial quote. But the full quote explains it more. Tony said he's never seen the show but it's one of his mom's favorites. And he went to Warner Media to ask for permission to use the name since they own the IP through HBO. So it actually was specifically based on GOT, and they got the proper permission to use it. Which already puts Kahn in the top 5% of the most intelligent promoters, since the other 95% would just use the name without getting the actual legal rights to do so lol.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 5

I haven't legit felt that kind of enthusiasm and excitement watching something in a long while. The whole show was good, but man when the lights went out and in that video you saw the crow I was like "no, it can't be". If AEW can keep doing moment's like that, the sky is the limit.

Mox vs. Omega was a good match. I liked the ending with Kenny faking an injury and Don Callis trying to stop the match only for the old switcheroo. It's 2020 and we might be getting territories back. This is genuinely exciting. It's been a while since I've said I have to tune into Impact to see what's going on.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Tony completely marking out over Sting put the biggest shit eating grin on my face. That was so, so good. Maybe my favorite thing all year. 

Schiavone finally getting to scream about Sting turning up out of nowhere again is like the pro wrestling equivalent of this: https://www.theonion.com/world-war-ii-veteran-allowed-to-kill-one-last-german-1819564417/amp

• Haha 2

Dynamite was fun per usual. 

Not a fan of Battle Royals, but they worked hard to continue a number of storylines and keep a good flow.  I love John Silver as much as the next guy, but can we hold off on a babyface turn?  

Jericho-Kazarian was one of Jericho's better showings as of late.  Kazarian has quietly been on a tear.  The Mjef towel tease was fun.  The Inner Circle interference/interaction with Aubrey was complete nonsense.  Why the fuck were they all not kicked out mid-way when they interfered right in front of her?  Why are they even out there or allowed out there?  One wonders why everybody doesn't bring their friends to the ring to run interference?  Further where is Sky and Daniels for Kazarian?  Getting tired of these lazy oversights peppered throughout the weekly Dynamite 'scripts'.  

I hope Meltzer is incorrect concerning Sammy turning babyface.  He's such a good heel.  I have no desire to see arsehole Sammy playing to the crowd.  

Mostly ffwd the Baker-Hirsch bout, but looked pretty solid down the finish.  Baker seems to be sharpening her skillset.  Hirsch, not unlike Serena Deeb, seems to be getting some attention for her competence (obviously due to the lack in the division), but there's too little character to care at all.  Maybe in time?

Darb/Code-Hobbs/Starks was certainly not bad, but I couldn't muster any personal interest.  I'm happy for the people who are excited about Sting's arrival.  I'd certainly be fine with a last match scenario, but Sting being signed to be a weekly character frightens me more than Abadon to Shida.  I really, really, really hope this doesn't lead to an authority figure character.  They've been fine without one, and even not having watched WWE in over a decade I have no interest in a 'GM' or any such GM storylines.  Please no GM!  Please!    

Moxley-Omega was what had me excited about the show, and it pretty well delivered.  I gotta ask tho, what was the point of Moxley hitting his goddamned finisher on the belt and then leaving the ring to find a couple chairs to set-up?  If he was a dumb heel that would have been fine, as a babyface he looked like a complete fool.  I liked what it led to, but that was really stoooopid.  Don Callis on the otherhand was superb on the commentary.  He's so clearly head and shoulders above this regular Dynamite team.  I liked the finish or Omega getting the title.  I have no interest in Impact Wrestling, but I assume this could be a fun inter-promotional angle.  Seems to have sparked interest.  More than any inter-promotional 'dream' bouts, I'm just really excited by this Omega-Callis team.     

A few complaints, but enjoyable show.  Please AEW don't add an onscreen GM.

• Like 4

This week's Impact actually did 166,000 viewers, and that's without the hype of Omega appearing. One would assume that's good news for them for next week based on the Dynamite angle. It will probably Impact's biggest number in years. 

Not particularly interested in Impact crossover stuff overall, but it is nice to hear the casual references to them, Okada and Suzuki, like AEW is comfortable and even proud to be part of a larger, thriving industry, as opposed to WWE constantly screaming WE ARE THE ONLY SHOW IN TOWN, DO NOT UNSUBSCRIBE FROM OUR NETWORK as they melt into irrelevance

I liked Hirsch/Baker, it was a little tentative in places but I was into Hirsch being so committed to the armbar gameplan, and Britt's leg lace omoplata setup for her finish is stylish. I like that it has a built-in visual cue that once she gets her hand in there and starts yankin' molars it's the point of no return, like Kurt grapevining the legs

Darby is superficially Sting but at the same time, in a much more profound sense, Hangman is Sting - like one of the big moments they have to nail in the next year is Hangman finally being sick of everyone's bullshit and being ready to whip all their asses, a la Sting finally battering the nwo and pointing the bat at Hogan at Uncensored

I'm fairly OK with an on-screen GM as long as it's Regal-style "two minute cameo to irritably dispense booking justice after the lunatics take over the asylum" and not like, 20 minute promos where you humiliate the people who can actually wrestle

• Like 3

Don Callis was really good on commentary, last night and Omega/Page before. Didn't tip his hand too much, made good points, and carried a lot of the story. If he continue to be Kenny's personal commentator I'd be all for it

• Like 3

Ew! That's such a great heel move to come out with the pretty girls dancing for you. Man, we have very different tastes in wrestling and high key that is perfectly fine.

low key tho:

Spoiler

Anakin I Hate You Blank Template - Imgflip

?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

It may surprise you to learn that I'm not against the idea as a whole. It just doesn't work with two dancers doing a so-so job. He needs like 10-20 knocking it out of the park. It's a move where if you're not going to go very big, don't bother. And if you can only organize that for big matches, so be it.

Also:

Spoiler

I have the high ground.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

Tony losing his mind on Sting was so great that it seems like we completely missed that Tony was yelling BULLSHIT as Callis and Omega are running out of the building.  

"Don Callis is a no-good bastard." - JR just as Don and Kenny reached the black SUV.

• Like 4

Remember when Glacier sold his gear to Kaz Hiashi? I guess Sting got the entrance. Really cool moment is all serious. They did mention a multi year contract so I'm not sure how much long term use they can get out of him. Also after 20 years of ECW nostalgia I'm really loving all these throw backs to WCW.

Inner Circle should have been thrown out from ringside after the interference, also the whole angle is getting tiring. Starting to remind me of 4 live crew vs itself back in the day.

I loved the final angle. AEW working with other promotions kinda reminds me of Harley Race NWA champ vs. Nick Bockwinkle AWA champ. I love acknowledging a world beyond AEW. Kenny holding the belt hostage in Impact and Hangman Page being the one who goes and gets it back could be great pay off to him never winning the big one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

You think we get old and young Sting in the video game? Can we plz get the Revenge animation for the death drop?

That shit was smooth as hell! And also, I'm really, really hoping we get playable/young versions of Jake, Arn, Tully, DDP, Taz etc.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
And this one is lofty cause I don't know what his WWE deal is, but fuck it, give us Bret!
  • Like 6

Fuck, good call. That's a loaded legends division already. The Stinger splash animation was cool in that it was floaty but the end impact has gotta hit hard. That classic apron WCW camera angle with sting flying into the corner with his sound is just the premium shit. 

I'm a little surprised they didn't break 1 million viewers. I know that's not the important number but still. 

@Andy in Kansasit would be nice to have set girls, more of them, and a bit more polish but I still think it's fantastic as is.