DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/2/2020

Dolfan in NYC

18 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Fuck all the hate, I love Shida selling fear for Abadon. Nobody likes invincible Cena Superman babyface in 2020. She'll be fine after she beats Abadon in a few weeks. 

I also agree that I'm not down with the criticism. Not to draw any kind of comparison, but like, characters cower in fear and drop what theyre doing all the time when *music plays.* To have Shida sell fear for Abaddon doesn't weaken Shida so much as it adds to Abaddon's presentation, IMO. Like, "Whoa, even the Champ's scared."

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

I mean, I’m no audiophile, but I’m pretty sure there’s metal under the foam?  If someone hit you hard enough with one in the right place, I imagine you could be cut.  Boxers get cut while being punched with gloves with way more padding than a microphone all the time.

• Like 2

Fantastic night of Professional Wresting. Sting’s involvement in AEW will only be a plus for the promotion. The merchandise sales will be through the roof. Impact relationship will be filled with land mines but there is an opportunity it will work out good for both promotions. Omega leaving AEW in the lurch to show up on Impact next week is brilliant booking. Omega receiving major heat from day 1 of his reign will pay off. This is the 3rd title reign in AEW’s history and all of them have been different from each other...and of course all worthy champions. I don’t understand all the  negative comments on this board in regards to Omega. Miro was perfectly booked and more importantly he executed his role flawlessly. 

Meltzer did report AEW and NJPW will soon be working together...

”Besides Impact, AEW also has plans to work with NJPW and Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide in the near future. Omega will travel to Mexico soon to defend his AAA Mega Championship against Laredo Kid at Triplemania XXVIII on December 12.”

So this grand experiment of Tony Khan’s is on its way. I hope it succeeds. I pray it succeeds.

Edited by Flair’s Shadow
  • Like 2

What a damn fantastic episode that was.  The battle royal was well-done and I thought the main event was great.  Callis breaking down what's going on on commentary made me miss when he would play it straight.  And I liked the fuck finish as while it did shit on AEW it made the upcoming Impact a must-watch.  I don't have Axs but I'll be checking out their Twitch stream for the first time (normally wait until it's on the Impact app days later)

And watching it again it's still hard not to get a bit emotional seeing Sting coming out and Tony losing his mind.  You're damn right it felt great and it was like we traveled back to WCW when Tony cared about what he was doing.  It's also crazy to think about how WCW crushed his enthusiasm for wrestling but since his podcast and especially AEW he's so in love with it all again.  It's just so heartwarming to see and I just adore the guy for it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Tony losing his mind on Sting was so great that it seems like we completely missed that Tony was yelling BULLSHIT as Callis and Omega are running out of the building.  

Yep. Great point. The BULLSHIT remark from Tony when Callie and Omega were running outside was perfectly done. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I thougut I heard JR say this was the first ever match between Jericho and Kaz... but I swore they worked a match last year. 

First ever singles match. SCU defended the tag belts against Jericho and Sammy last year, which led to a singles match between Jericho and Scorpio Sky. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Nobody likes invincible Cena Superman babyface in 2020. 

Hi, I'm nobody! *waves*

50 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Sting’s involvement in AEW will only be a plus for the promotion.

Why did you keep your knowledge of this a secret?! WHYYY?!

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The only thing we would have to worry if Sting decides to be more physical is that he doesn't work Seth Rollins like guys who have to get their MOVEZ in. 

They protected DDP pretty good in that six man, maybe something similar to that.

Edit: though I'm realizing: it almost is more on brand for the Sting character to *never have a match.* He was at his most hot when he was just sitting in the stands and cleaning house with the bat. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

31 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

First ever singles match. SCU defended the tag belts against Jericho and Sammy last year, which led to a singles match between Jericho and Scorpio Sky. 

Hi, I'm nobody! *waves*

Good question. I have no good answer. 

31 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Hi, I'm nobody! *waves*

Sickening. You didn't tire of it after 12+ years? 

• Haha 1

I like the Abadon/Shida angle if for no other reason than it gives Shida something to bounce off of. We're finally getting a women's division with some depth in recent weeks, with Baker/Rosa developing well too. Between those two feuds and Brandi/Jade Cargill somehow morphing into Nyla Rose/Big Swole and Red Velvet (not that I'm complaining), we have storylines to get invested in and it's solid improvement.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

He also knows he needs to get talent from somewhere, and the NXT system hasn't really worked *that* well.

The WWE system is working well for them though.

It’s just that would Impact Wrestling be okay with that? I don’t think the guys in charge of Impact want it to be a feeder organization.

The battle royale was indeed really good. Having multiple stories told is the only way to do a BR, using them as a cheap way to get a bunch of guys on the card always sucks otherwise. Miro looked like a legit psycho and he never needs to stop doing that. Dark Order leaving en masse, Inner Circle protecting themselves, Wardlow not getting the shaft from MJF (WWE has poisoned us by always doing that), all the flippy guys get a cool looking elimination, Miro as the destroyer, it was sewn together like a nice quilt. (Meanwhile Eric is over on Segunda saying it was no good. Yeah guys were laying around a bit, or not getting in at first because they're heels so why get eliminated, but it didn't bother me)

• Like 2

That isn't what I meant. I mean something like the territory system which was a lot more symbiotic, you could bring people in for runs and then they can potentially go work somewhere else for a while etc. Some territories were bigger than others.

Yes, in the end Impact and AEW are more in direct competition - but at the end of the day, Impact are getting more out of this than AEW. I'm sure they'd prefer AEW didn't exist but you play the hand you're dealt.

58 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The only thing we would have to worry if Sting decides to be more physical is that he doesn't work Seth Rollins like guys who have to get their MOVEZ in. 

Yep, as long as he's not working a match booked by petty little bitches or working dudes eager to do buckle bombs against AARP members, Sting will be fine.

• Like 1

The other week, Coach Tony K said the wrestling landscape was about to change, and was then mocked when all that happened was Pac came back. Whereas this show, it kind of feels like people who watched NXT live last night and AEW afterwards are going to regret that they did that. And possibly lie about it for the rest of their lives.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

The other week, Coach Tony K said the wrestling landscape was about to change, and was then mocked when all that happened was Pac came back. Whereas this show, it kind of feels like people who watched NXT live last night and AEW afterwards are going to regret that they did that. And possibly lie about it for the rest of their lives.

Bingo. 

• Like 2

Loved the Sting debut. I too thought they were teasing Hobbs hitting Taz with the belt for how long the setup was taking lol. But pretty cool moment. The opening riff of his new music sounded familiar but it wasn't till Sting came out that I realized the first two notes are the same of his WCW theme. Slick. Not sure why there was fake snow falling tho lol. Maybe this is night king sting, and not crow sting.

I'm not a fan of the Impact crossover stuff. Impact is a failed brand with nothing but stink on it, and I think the chances that stink rubs off on the AEW brand are high. Impact's women's roster is great. Their tag stuff is pretty good. But their main event scene is horrendous. And while D'Amore & Callis have done their best in righting the ship, it's just a waste of time. If the extent of the crossover is Callis as Keny's manager & Gallows & Anderson as his heavies, okay I'm cool with that. But AEW guys showing up on Impact brings the AEW guys down, not the Impact brand up.

• Like 1

So several business indicators (YouTube video at 7-8x normal levels, best selling t shirt in 24 hours on PWT) are up thanks to the Stinger. Wonder how they play it next week to take advantage of it and try to retain some of that interest.

I would NOT put him in the ring with Taz. That would have TNA retread stink all over it. But Sting doing a minute or two on how its great to be home, then starting the deal where he warns Darby not to trust the Nightmare Family, before he gets interrupted by Ricky Starks would work. 

The only guys that share the ring with Sting next week should be AEW originals. 

• Like 2