DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/2/2020

Dolfan in NYC

My day after thought is that I haven’t left a wresting TV show feeling that buzzed and interested in a cliffhanger since Nexus 10 years ago.

Also loved Kingston jumping on commentary sight unseen to call out Archer, which just added to that sense of chaos and “what the hell is happening” in the last 5 minutes. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Goodear said:

What I love most about the plan is the logic and simplicity.

First: Omega has to take Moxley's finish on the floor. This is so Omega can pretend to be crippled. If he actually does get knocked out, the plan fails.

Second: The referee has to step in immediately and keep Moxley from just throwing Kenny back in the ring and just pinning him. If the referee doesn't do that, the plan fails.

Third: If the referee stops the match because Kenny can't continue, the plan fails.

Fourth: Mox goes through the referees to get to Omega and toss him in the ring. If the referees disqualify Moxley for shoving officials, the plan fails.

Fifth: Callis goes down to the ring to say Kenny is hurt. Mox shoves Callis allowing the microphone to get to Kenny and the referee to pay attention to Callis. If Moxley doesn't push Callis, the plan fails.

Sixth: Kenny hits Mox with the microphone. If the referee hears the impact (har, har) of the microphone BECAUSE ITS A LIVE MICROPHONE, the plan fails. To be fair, all AEW officials are legally blind and deaf so this one is easier to accept.

This is some Machiavellian shit.

Success! 

BONUS Seventh: Kenny and Don run from the ring from nobody. As they get in the car, Alex Marvez jumps out of nowhere to ask what the deal is so Callis can plug Impact. If Marvez isn't standing by the car for no reason, there's no way anyone would know to turn in Tuesday for Impact.

Isn't Dark on Tuesdays?

All true, but to give them props on something, step one would also explain why Kenny kept inexplicably taking the match to the floor starting from the very beginning.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Hopefully this situation with AEW and NJPW can thaw at some point. They don’t have to run Global Wars or a show at MSG but there’s no good reason they can’t have a positive working relationship.

Throughout history NJPW has worked with different Major American companies so I'm sure AEW will eventually get that chance. I think its a good thing that AEW isn't working with they right now anyway. They can continue to establish themselves as a more promotion on their own and when they do come together it will be a much bigger payoff for both. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Good show overall. One of the main things that puts Dynamite over Raw and Smackdown for me is that there's no constant "earlier tonight" segments or superfluous bullshit, just matches and promos that are kept to a reasonable length.

This x1,000,000. Its one of those things I find infuriating about American TV in general is the amount of recaps. I don't feel like AEW is insulting my intelligence by treating me like a goldfish, "did you see this 5 minutes ago? Forgot it already ya dummu, didn't ya?" 

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think AEW has to get anything out of this other than compelling television.   Their world champion is appearing on a "rival" promotion's program. It's different and opens up the door for some possible cross promotion match ups..  

100% agree on this. Get a good story out of this and that's enough surely. 

1 hour ago, alstein said:

Page joining the Dark Order while Brodie is gone, leading to Brodie coming back and berating folks, and then Page finally has enough- could be a way to rehabilitate Page and split DO up (perhaps Anna+Brodie+Five and Dime+ Uno and Stu and Dime vs Page, Beaver Boys, Colt, and Tay?)  Also gives Page time away from Omega so you can come back to that in a few months when it's time for Omega to lose the belt

Hangman learns how to be a leader, and that's what gets him over the hump?

Loved the Hangman/DO interactions in the battle Royal. Dark Order seem to be having a lot more fun since Brodie left, I could defo see DO taking Hangman in and when Bridie comes back all angry, Hangman leads the revolt for the big DO face turn to lead the charge against Kenny and new pals. The one shot of Hangman being carried by DO was just really well done! 

Loved the chaotic vibe of the whole show, lots of fun stuff and plenty of little markers for future fun stuff too. Happy out. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cubbymark said:

This feels like Pro Wrestling USA in some way. Impact even with Anthem subsidizing is arguably no better than latter day World Class and NWA as late stage AWA,with AEW as the JCP. I don't see what AEW gets out of this since Impact has been such a toxic brand even if there are some people who say its decent right now.

I am assuming you are talking about the 1988 AWA Superclash situation where Memphis, World Class, a few women's organizations, and I think Southeastern worked together.  Pro Wrestling USA wouldn't work in this case because while AWA was declining it was still relatively strong.   

In the Superclash group, IMPACT is very much like World Class.  A strong company that was slowly declining (1985 and 1986) and then almost died to nothing (1987) and is still in the very slow rebuilding stage (1988).  Although I can't think who would have been AEW in that group.  Memphis was the #1 group in the faction but hardly strong 

3 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Wrestling has more than one universe.

Khan gets bully psychology.  One big guy can take down one little guy, but not ten little guys.  The strength of AEW is that it acknowledges the outside world and cheerfully namedrops other organizations because hey, they might be interested in working with you.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can't imagine that the ego of IMPACT would appreciate being the developmental of another company.  You know none of this stuff would have happened in the Dixie Carter/Jeff Jarrett era.   Besides AEW should have a great developmental system already called the indies.  Unless you can convince indie guys to go to IMPACT more that sounds awful for new talent

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

I absolutely adore the idea of Hangman sinking to the low of falling into the Dark Order, yet that becoming the place wherein he learns true leadership ability. This isn't unlike every kids sports movie ever where the hot shot coach/executive/businessman falls on hard times and takes over coaching a rag tag bunch of middle school basketball players, before learning to lead, getting his personal shit sorted, and winning the big one in the end (in this case with Hangman Austin/Alliance'ing his ass to the AEW title)

Sign me up.

• Like 3

I’m not sure why anyone would think Kenny and Callis had a convoluted “plan” to fake being concussed.  You’re being willfully obtuse if you’re putting that theory forward.  Kenny continued to sell that he was recovering from being knocked loopy well after he hit Moxley with the microphone, when it would have had no benefit to him to continue to fake it.  It’s not like he suddenly popped up, no selling the head drop, with an evil gleam in his eye.

The simpler and far more logical explanation is that Kenny and Callis expected to win straight up, but when Kenny got KO’d, Callis interjected himself to save his meal ticket, and Kenny, being the sleazy, disingenuous bastard that he is, took the easy way out when the opportunity presented itself.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

The simpler and far more logical explanation is that Kenny and Callis expected to win straight up, but when Kenny got KO’d, Callis interjected himself to save his meal ticket, and Kenny, being the sleazy, disingenuous bastard that he is, took the easy way out when it was offered.

I am all about philosophical razors and usually think that the simplest explanation is the best.

I cannot blame Kenny Omega for smashing Mox with the microphone.  He beat the guy that took a low bridge to beat MJF.... Mox also jumped Omega twice before this championship match.

If Mox had the mic, you can best believe it would've been Kenny that got busted open.  Pot Kettle Black.

As a Pittsburg Steelers fan, I cannot love Britt Baker more for having the Steelers logo on her ring attire.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really want the Good Brothers to be Omega's bodyguards or whatever any time he's on AEW TV, protecting him from an angry roster that feels like Omega betrayed them. And I think that'll happen, because the Bucks still want to run the program with Gallows & Anderson that they had planned for the debut episode of Dynamite. I mean, it does feel like the Bucks are kind of just there right now, moving from match to match with younger/less featured teams, without a real storyline in place. 

• Like 1

Random-ass thoughts as usual...

It's awesome that Kenny won and I'm looking forward to what's next.  I actually set my DVR to record Impact, so mission accomplished there.  Really good match and I loved Kenny's match ending barrage of knees.  Bad ass.

The battle royale was inoffensive fun.  I liked the continued teasing of Wardlow/MJF splitting up.  I didn't like the typical lazy battle royale booking of one guy secretly going out and coming back at the end.  That's kind of played out.

Man, imagine if Cody had been the face in peril and allowed Darby to get the hot tag and run wild.  That would have been some star-making shit right there.  Instead, we got what we got, and even got Cody entering last again.  Good to see he's made the new champ his lil' buddy.  This is some Macho Man wearing red and yellow at Summerslam 88, put the other guy in his place type shit.  For all the fond looking back we do about Dusty, that dude really knew how to get other babyfaces under and he sure passed that on.

I did like Hobbs and Starks constantly taking breaks go give Cody the finger or give him the "up yours" sign.

Like so many others here, it did my heart good to hear Tony yell "IT'S STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!" like 20+ years haven't gone by.

Sting should mentor Darby in storyline and tell him to stop trusting any of these dudes.  Or maybe in real life, too.

Jericho's belt finally tapping out was so hilarious I had to log right on and post about it last night.

Layla Hirsh's nickname, "Legit," is very apt.  Do not put her on Team Tazz.  Let her be in the upper echelon of faces in the women's division  She's got something.  I did spend a good deal of the match honestly trying to figure out if she's a little person, though.  She has that thing that John Silver and C**** B***** have/had where they're short already, and being muscular makes them look shorter.  

The Acclaimed guy yelling WOOOOORLDSTAAAAAAR was fucking tremendous.  I never thought their book cover looked like they were peering at each other's dicks, but I do think it looks like a romance novel.

If calling moves, and the history of these workers, is still important, then we NEED Excalibur.  He called the Flux Capacitor and Croyt's Wrath and my indie-loving heart was warmed.

Speaking of Kazarian, how old does it make you feel that we've lived through the full careers of two young guys whose nicknames were "The Future" (Kazarian and Sabin)?  

Is it too early for the Inner Circle Ultimatum/teased breakup?  Or maybe they'll do something really creative.

AEW hasn't exposed their refs to horribly in awhile, so I guess we're due.  Aubrey had to stand there and watch Hager try to clothesline Kaz not once but twice, then grab his leg in full view, and then didn't kick him out.  So stupid.  

I LOVED Shida being all Shaggy and Scooby over Abadon.  And playing Sid to Marvez's Mean Gene.  "Can we do that over?"  "We're live, pal!"  I don't know, big picture, what this means for her as a babyface and a champ, but I really liked it as a quick, self-contained thing.

THE VARSITY BLONDES.  Nice.  

Are we heading no a "every non-WWE promotion that has TV" shared universe?  I don't hate it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The Acclaimed guy yelling WOOOOORLDSTAAAAAAR was fucking tremendous.  I never thought their book cover looke dlike they were peering at each other's dicks, but I do think it looks like a romance novel.

Well the Bucks did go into a Barnes & Noble and find a copy in the romance section on BTE...

?

• Haha 4

Battle royal was good, the best of that kind of match I've seen in a while with all the various stories getting advanced and paid off. Miro finally came off like a proper monster and his showdown with Wardlow had the right energy. Good stuff all around.

Cody and Darby/Team Taz was good, Starks was the highlight as usual but Hobbs looked great too. Cody as Ace trumps Darby as champ it seems, I don't think Allin got anything out of interacting with Cody except to look like he's capable of a fluke every now and again. Sting's debut got me truly hyped even watching it second time. I don't expect much out of him in the ring but that face to face with Darby got me excited for some kind of a match anyway.

Main event got ugly at times and never reached that higher level. Omega winning seemed inevitable, especially after Mox hit the Paradigm Shift and didn't cover. Involving Callis and Impact is a huge move and I hope we do get some talents crossing over or at least a co-branded PPV (with a Mox/Omega rematch). The women's division has already been mentioned and it can't be understated how fun and beneficial that crossover would be. Meanwhile The North are custom made to toss around most of AEW's tag division, Gallows and Anderson have a lot history to play off, Chris Bey and Willy Mack rule, Tommy Dreamer can investigate more murder suspects, there's a lot of mileage to be had.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Khan gets bully psychology.  One big guy can take down one little guy, but not ten little guys.  The strength of AEW is that it acknowledges the outside world and cheerfully namedrops other organizations because hey, they might be interested in working with you.

He also knows he needs to get talent from somewhere, and the NXT system hasn't really worked *that* well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I don't think Allin got anything out of interacting with Cody except to look like he's capable of a fluke every now and again.

Oh man I forgot to mention the finish.  Cody tags in, fucks EVERYBODY up, then Darby gets to tag in and pin the guy whose ass Cody kicked.  NO doubt in anyone's minds who the star and bad ass is.  We're about a month away from every babyface having to mention Cody on their promos, aren't we?

Was there any mention or reference to Pat Patterson last night, outside of Mox saying the match would be "banana?"

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Was there any mention or reference to Pat Patterson last night, outside of Mox saying the match would be "banana?"

I'm pretty sure JR mentioned Pat on more than one occasion throughout the show.

• Like 1